HELP WITH G MAJOR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JASON350

Reaction score
hi all. i just got the g major. i ve been playing with it to get a nice ultra clean sound but i can't. i want a clean sound like the one from metallica in songs like one, nothing, fade to black

i have a dual rec (temporarily- ill be changing it for a mk IV) and emg 81
can you guys share some settings

try to describe what you're looking for in terms of effects etc. and I'll try to help.

Itsik

its not easy to describe but if you've heard one of metallica thats the sound i want. it makes the low strings sound sharp and bright without making the high strings soung way high.

not too much mids/ gain though thats hard to change since i have a dual rec for now.

you now that sound from one comes of the JC 120. so i guess thats the sound i want utlra clean bright.

also i think the effects don't sound loud enough i have the output level on the g major almost max out at aroud 3-4 o'clock also the input.

Manuals don't really tell you how to get a specific tone.
Those are acoustics for the most part, with an electric layered on some parts. Start with a light chorus and some compression, you won't nail those tones with an electric, but you can get close enough to fake it.

No they don't BUT they will teach him how each effect works.
And tones are matter of taste so the way HE hears metallica tones is different from everyone of us,I hate metallica tones so obviously we hear them in a different way.
Besides that,only equalizer will change the tone,compressor will change dynamics and other effects like chorus flanger etc are just make ups.

ToneAddictJon said:
Manuals don't really tell you how to get a specific tone.
Those are acoustics for the most part, with an electric layered on some parts. Start with a light chorus and some compression, you won't nail those tones with an electric, but you can get close enough to fake it.

right they are acoustic sounds. i haven't been able to adjust the low strings to sound bright. like the beginning of one.
any one to share chorus settings

chorus has nothing to do with lower strings tone or any strings tone.
Chorus is just a make up,an effect,it doesn't change the tone.
Tone is carved in your amp.

18&Life said:
chorus has nothing to do with lower strings tone or any strings tone.
Chorus is just a make up,an effect,it doesn't change the tone.
Tone is carved in your amp.

Thanks dude very helpful

do you think it wasn't helpful ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So still keep changing your chorus and stuff,soon you will get the tone you want :wink:

no i meant i would try channging the parameters on my amp and change the tone

Your best bet is to use only the programmable EQ in the G-Major, and lots of compression. You should be able to get there that way. If you do decide to use chorus which I believe Metallica used a bit, set the level really low so you can barely hear the chorus effect, like 8% or so, and that should get you close.

My old rack setup had a preset that nailed that sound (I played lots of Metallica covers) but since I went back to playing an amp primarily I sold all my rack gear and only use a couple of stomp boxes and a G-Major in the loop for delay, compression, and to switch my amp channels via MIDI.

I can't emphasize the compression enough. That clean sound is super compressed.

madryan said:
Your best bet is to use only the programmable EQ in the G-Major, and lots of compression. You should be able to get there that way. If you do decide to use chorus which I believe Metallica used a bit, set the level really low so you can barely hear the chorus effect, like 8% or so, and that should get you close.

My old rack setup had a preset that nailed that sound (I played lots of Metallica covers) but since I went back to playing an amp primarily I sold all my rack gear and only use a couple of stomp boxes and a G-Major in the loop for delay, compression, and to switch my amp channels via MIDI.

I can't emphasize the compression enough. That clean sound is super compressed.

thanks alot. i'll give it a try tomorow

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and ask... how fresh are your strings? You can tweak amps and effects until you're blue in the face, but if your strings are dead, you'll never hit that crisp sparkle. Just a thought.

Back