Help - Trouble Shooting a LS Special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjlcc14

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
As of last night my LSS played flawlessly......I usually play the Clean Channel (1) on the 30w selection and Channel 2 is driven and played on the 5w Selection.............I Turned it on this morning......and neither Channel 1 or 2 will play on the 5w or 15w selection....only the 30w.........and when I say won't play.....if I strike a chord on the 30w position and switch to the 5 or 15....you hear the chord for just a split second....then it fades away and goes quiet......just like I turned down the volume on the guitar......I don't know alot about amps.....but all 4 tubes are clear.....they seem to be burning evenly.....and when thumped with an eraser on a pencil.......NO noise what so ever.......any ideas.......besides sending it back to California?????????

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hell of a first post introduction........cheers!

Possibly 5y3 rectifier in your amp has died like so many others have. Check out some threads in the tubes section dealing with this issue.

I would say it is the rectifier tube. That is the big fat one on the left hand side looking in from the back of the amp. It is a 5y3gt Rectifier tube. I had the same problem with my amp. After contacting Mesa they sent me a new rectifier tube and two new matched power tubes . I only had the amp for a week when the tube fizzled out while I was playing. I replaced the rectifier tube and all was well. But I would suggest removing the tube from it's socket. I left mine in and it kept blowing fuses. Mesa told me that sometimes happens & to remove the tube if this happens.I also read a thread along this line where a guy had this problem. So he started putting his amp on stand by before switching between 5/15/30 watts . I have been doing the same and have not blown another fuse or tube yet !!

Supposedly the Lone Stars pull a bit too much current through the rectifier tube, which modern rectifiers can't handle and burn out after a while. I've had fairly bad luck with newer 5Y3s in other amps, so I've started using NOS, which have been great. I've heard others have had great luck with NOS 5Y3s in their Lone Stars, too, you might give that a try. They aren't much more expensive than the new ones, and they'll probably last half of forever.

Thanks for the advice and tips....found these on a website....any preferences amoung you all??

NEW RCA 5Y3GT Black Plate 1950-1960s NOS Vintage Black Base, Black plate bottom getter, fantastic quality, great sound. Perfect for vintage guitar amps for the ultimate 5Y3GT!!. NOS/NIB Awesome!!! $65

NEW RCA 5Y3GT Black Plate 1960-70s 1960-70ss RCA Black Plate 5Y3GT-the best of the best 5Y3s. Great Sonics, long life NOS/NIB and Rare $45

Sylvania JAN CHS 5Y3GT/VT-197-A Black Plate NOS 1940-50s date codes NOS Excellent Tube Extremely durable and great sounding 5Y3GT for all applications. Very rare and hard to find in original boxes. Long Lasting Black Plates 1940s-50s vintage. $50 ea

JAN/Philips 5Y3GTA NOS Black Plate Octal Rectifier for vintage Fender, Gibson and new gear $18 ea

Thanks Again in advance!!!!!

Those RCA should cost around $20 each for NIB. That price is outrageous.
JAN/Phillips is mil spec so it has tight tolerance and doesn't cost that much, so I would get that. The NOS tube should also reduce the muddiness and improve clarity, at least on mine anyway.

I'd prefer using a 5v4 if it fits in the space allotted in the chassis if the amp were mine. Don't have LSS but routinely leave 5v4 in Maverick, a similar number of class a el84 type of Mesa amp running all it's class a el84's simultaneously. The use of vintage 5y3 is workable and better than stock but more current reserve is available in 5r4 and 5v4 if they physically fit. Workable differences in voltages put through between 5y3, 5r4, and 5v4 exist. Don't have to be stuck with 5y3.

I have the Jan Phillips in my LSS. No issues whatsoever, and it was pretty cheap thru kcanostubes

Here is a Pic of her!

e2FbrF-D-Um-rwm+Sqio4qWjxeRZ580j0300.jpg
[/img]

I agree....that's beautifull!...May I suggest a clamshell cover, I have one for my LSS ( yes, I love it ) to keep it looking nice, but mine is the stock brown. That's very cool....CGM

I had a LP like that , I liked it but I'm really a G&L tele man . How do you like Hums w/it. I tend to like single coils better......

CGM said:
I agree....that's beautifull!...May I suggest a clamshell cover, I have one for my LSS ( yes, I love it ) to keep it looking nice, but mine is the stock brown. That's very cool....CGM

Where did you get that, if I may ask?

As for the LP...It's a VOS R9....and it sounds great! I like singlecoils too....thats why I also have a couple of Strats, and a Tom Anderson.

pjlcc14....Try ...studioslips.com.....I ordered mine w/double quilted lining. It's water resistant and completley covers the amp. The handle sticks out through an opening. I've used it in a van at an out of town gig allready. Well worth the $$ IMO. I'm very satisfied.

I do love hums. I learned to play on a '71 ES-335, I was 20 and the guitar was new and belonged to a girlfriend. I still have the 335 upstairs. Ya know ...you never get over your first set of real humbuckers.......

Latest posts

Back