NEED HELP! Please... Roadster and switching system trouble

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismofreakish

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m having an issue with my rig and I really don’t know how to solve it…

I bought a Rivera RM-1 switching system (identical as the G-Lab GSC) for my Roadster. It has programming presets that allow me to choose the channel and the effects of my choice (stomp boxes all in front of the amp) in a click, works like a charm. It needs 2 insert cables connecting the 2 stereo output of the device to the 4 channels external mono jacks of my head.

However, since a week or so, the light of the channel 2 keeps being lit (sometimes blinking) even though I switch my other channels. I mean, the light of the channel selected will be lit, but the channel 2’s just doesn’t turn off.

My sound is now… kinda like a mix of the actual channel + channel 2, or maybe not, well, all I know is that it’s now not tight as before and sucks. When I don’t play, there’s a kind of a crackling sound coming from the speakers.

I turned the amp off and back on, nothing. I wiped all the jacks, in case dirt was the cause for all of this, nothing. I also tried blowing in the channel 2’s jack hole. The problem seemed solved but came back a few seconds later. I tried reprogramming my RM-1, nothing. Then, I pulled off the 4 jacks and plugged back my original footswitch (with the 8 pin cable), and everything worked fine!! :roll:

I called the tech of my dealer and he said it can’t be the amp… well, maybe it’s true (hope so), but I haven’t had that much of a great service since I bought my amp (I bought it “new” online but came with a whole lot of dust, the powertubes were tilted, one of the cage’s clip was broken, later I lost the channel 2 live, I noticed when I lifted up the cylinder that the preamp tube was almost out of his socket, etc. :evil:), so I’m kind of bored and skeptical (I heard rumors about the relays being maybe fragile if not activated with the original footswitch).

I’ll try my backup set of insert cables tomorrow, but if it’s not the cables, I really don’t know what to do... Everything is brand new (amp, cables, RM-1), I only gigged max 3 times with my rig so far.

Shows are coming up and I can’t have rig’s trouble... :?

Anyone would like to chime in to help me out?

Thanks!

The problems you are having are most likely due to using a common ground switching system (insert cable's sleeve is common to all plugs). Mesa recommends an isolated channel switching system with the Roadster.

With that said, you could try using a different channel that shares Ch.2's ground on the insert cable but only as a temp fix to get through the gig.

I have used an Axess CFX4 and now I'm using a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher (both use isolated relays) and neither has ever given me this issue with my Roadster, and I have used external (MIDI) switching for almost 5 years with my Roadster.

IMO you need to stop using the insert cables with your external switching.

Dom

Edit: This only applies to the channel switching. A common ground switching relay is fine for the FX Loop, Solo & Reverb switching.

Well, I just tried my backup insert cables set and everything worked fine... Then, I put back my original cables, and everything was still fine.

I don't understand...

:cry:

nismofreakish said:
Well, I just tried my backup insert cables set and everything worked fine... Then, I put back my original cables, and everything was still fine.

I don't understand...

:cry:
Call Mesa, describe your rig setup and issue and they'll help get it worked out.

My money is still on the common ground switching.

Dom

Latest posts

Back