Help me like my mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streakin406

Reaction score
Okay guys, I have been a regular "reader" to the boogie boards and you guys have a passion and knowledge base that cannot be touched. I have read, tried settings, memorized the manual and I still cannot get a tone I like from my mark III.
I started th mesa world with a single rec, then a dual, then 2channel triple. Decided to jump on the mark board because I hated the "fizziness" the recto's had. My band plays a lot of Godsmackish sounding stuff. But the reason I wanted the mark series was of course metallica and JP, but also chevelle and lamb of god.
I have a mark III purple stripe simul non-eq and I use a mxr 6 band in the loop. No matter how I dial the amp or eq pedal or combination of the two I still get this upper midrange honk that will not go away. The gain on this amp sounds really great crunchy but when I dial it up towards chevelle teritory I lose all definition and clarity and it turns to a soft mush, or a honky tele through a vh4 sound.
I play a esp ec-1000 with emg's and a tele but the tele is only for cleans.
Also if I run my treble and volume knobs pulled, and turn lead master up loud enough to match my clean sound the amp gets a squealing sound when i mute the strings or mute the signal with a floor tuner.
The sound I would like would be like my single rec (which so far is my favorite) without the fuzziness and a little smoother, Think some of tremonti stuff on alter bridge recordings but with a smoother attack. Heck if I could get the chevelle sound on well enough alone I would be more than Happy.
I realize chasing studio tones is a lost cause, But I should be able to get the same type of feel going on.

Would re-tubing the pre-amp possibly help some of my complaints from the III?
Is it even possible to get a sound that would work for godsmack/alter bridge/metallica/chevelle, like a mixture of all 4 bands from this amp?
Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Also my cab is a XXX loaded with eminence private jacks if that helps any. Those speakers tamed some of the buzzy sounds of the recs lol

Volume- 8-9 (pulled)
Treble- 7-8 (puled)
Bass- 2
Mids- 3-4 (pulled about 50% of time)
Master- 2
Lead drive- 8
Lead master- 4
Presence- 1-2
No reverb amp
Hard mid scoop on the pedal.

Mesa 12ax7's of unknown age
New mesa 6L6's in all 4 sockets.

streakin406 said:
Volume- 8-9 (pulled)
Treble- 7-8 (puled)
Bass- 2
Mids- 3-4 (pulled about 50% of time)
Master- 2
Lead drive- 8
Lead master- 4
Presence- 1-2
No reverb amp
Hard mid scoop on the pedal.

Mesa 12ax7's of unknown age
New mesa 6L6's in all 4 sockets.

Push in Volume 1, push in the middle pot, Pull out the master, back off the Lead Drive to about 6, set Master to 4 and Lead Master to 2. Lessen the hard mid scoop on your EQ pedal. Make sure your treble and bass sliders are not boosted too much on the EQ pedal. Too much Lead Drive combined with the middle pot pulled and those EMG pickups will turn to mush quickly.

Joey- That had me MUCH closer to the sound I am thinking of in my head, starting to like this amp now. Just ordered 2 rft and 2 tung-sol 12ax7's to swap around and see if they bring it even closer. Much more clarity/powerful now and now my palm mutes thunder and the overall sound is much thicker. Thanks a ton.

Here's my settings
Volume 10 (pulled)
treble 8 (pulled)
bass 4
middle 5
master 2/3 (pulled)
lead drive 8
lead master 5/6
presence 8

This is for a crunch/lead set up using the foot switches...you should also read the quad manual for extra info and settings for your mark 3, i also have a purple with no eq(2 in fact lol).I use r2 for a lead boost with lead activated when soloing!!!

bartchamdoh said:
Here's my settings
Volume 10 (pulled)
treble 8 (pulled)
bass 4
middle 5
master 2/3 (pulled)
lead drive 8
lead master 5/6
presence 8

This is for a crunch/lead set up using the foot switches...you should also read the quad manual for extra info and settings for your mark 3, i also have a purple with no eq(2 in fact lol).I use r2 for a lead boost with lead activated when soloing!!!

Presence at 8 ??? :roll: , with those settings my c+ will sound like hammerd caca

Heres my recommendation....

Pull all the knobs

Vol @ 7.5 after 8 starts to loses clarity a bit.
Treb @ 7
Bass @ 1
Mid @ 2
Master @ 1.5-2
Lead drive @ 6-7.5
Lead master @ 7
Pres @ 2.5-3.5

When you use the mxr eq, cut a little of the mid out then boost everything around it. I know it sounds like a goofy way of doing it but its closest to how most people use the mesa GEQs

streakin406 said:
Joey- That had me MUCH closer to the sound I am thinking of in my head, starting to like this amp now. Just ordered 2 rft and 2 tung-sol 12ax7's to swap around and see if they bring it even closer. Much more clarity/powerful now and now my palm mutes thunder and the overall sound is much thicker. Thanks a ton.
Ive recently dicovered the mullard RI kicks major *** in the V1 of a mark III. Ive never really liked that tube before. Works great in a III

droptrd said:
Heres my recommendation....

Pull all the knobs

Vol @ 7.5 after 8 starts to loses clarity a bit.
Treb @ 7
Bass @ 1
Mid @ 2
Master @ 1.5-2
Lead drive @ 6-7.5
Lead master @ 7
Pres @ 2.5-3.5

When you use the mxr eq, cut a little of the mid out then boost everything around it. I know it sounds like a goofy way of doing it but its closest to how most people use the mesa GEQs

If i even attempt running my master that low and the lead master anything above 3 or 4 I get the worst squelling sound ever even with the signal muted. Will try this one again after the tube swap. Thanks
*Also, I asked this in another thread but I'm looking at another mk3 on the bay, seller doesnt know if its simul or not he said the sticker is gone but you can see a spot where one was, what sound the output transformer code be on a simul amp? It does have the switch labeled 1/2pwr and full. Thanks

streakin406 said:

The speakers and cabinet will influence your settings very much with the Mark III. The MESA MS-12 and EVM-12L will let the true Mark series tone shine through. Love it or hate it. :twisted:

Everyones settings here are good, also very close to mine.

My big suggestion: Switch to a PRS guitar - even a cheap korean one (a USA one would be the t!ts though). It will make a world of difference though. Mesa + PRS = sweet sassey mollasey tone! Only a suggestion though... 8)

Also, Joey B is right; cabs makes all the difference in how the Mark III's mids play out bigtime. Thats where all your punch and unique vocal tone is.

SonicProvocateur said:
My big suggestion: Switch to a PRS guitar - even a cheap korean one (a USA one would be the t!ts though). It will make a world of difference though. Mesa + PRS = sweet sassey mollasey tone! Only a suggestion though... 8)

+1,000

PRS and Mark series amps seriously seem like they were built for each other. Top notch crunch and buttery smooths all day and night. I lack sleep every day because of this. :lol:

~Nep~

bartchamdoh said:
Jealous cremona...huh!

What could i possibly be jealous about ? , not having a mark 3 ?, i could sell my c+ and by 4 loaded mark 3`s if i wanted to :| .

Presence even at 5 on my mark II amp gives exactly the opposit of what he is after thats what im saying.

bartchamdoh said:
Chill,was only messin witcha!!! but all this c+ snobery is getting really boring!!!

Are you jealous ???

But hey peace , no hard feelings from my part

:wink:

Back