Help me like my mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SonicProvocateur said:
cremona said:
Are you jealous ???

I AM!

I am so buying a C+ by the end of this year. Its been killing me....of course thats if I don't end up dropping another 5 grand putting an STi motor in my Impreza :twisted:

The are getting harder and harder to find in the `loaded`configuation , i kinda want a long head version but honestly i think it will take 10xxx dollars , and still it would be hard find enyone that want to parten with it.

Nice car btw, that thing goes like a rocket espicaly with a lunch kontrol managed system, cars are also a passion of mine but car prices in denmark are like 4 times what you yanks would pay , so im holding back on that until i get rich and famous :)

+100000 on the cab thing, and it is totally personal preference. I have gone through phases and currently my fave is a 2x12 with EVMs if I am just rocking out by myself, but everybody else in the band likes the recto trad 4x12 a lot better. I still want to try a 4x12 full of greenbacks someday.

As for the presence, yep, if you dial it up to 8 and stand in front of it in your basement it will sound like ****, but in a mix, especially if you are running a big heavy LP-type guitar, you'll just have a real nice sting on top of the sound. and also a "shimmer" on crunch and clean rhythms that you don't get otherwise.

BTW, the R2 channel on that purple stripe LOOOVES getting slapped around with a tubescreamer-type boost pedal. And judicious use of a vintage-y type fuzz on a purple stripe R2 can take you on a detour into Neil Young territory which basically no Mesa amp ever has been able to do :)

CoG said:
BTW, the R2 channel on that purple stripe LOOOVES getting slapped around with a tubescreamer-type boost pedal. And judicious use of a vintage-y type fuzz on a purple stripe R2 can take you on a detour into Neil Young territory which basically no Mesa amp ever has been able to do :)

I just now started playing with my R2 again since I have the proper R2 mod, and i'm loving it. With any kind of OD/Muff/Fuzz it's awesome since its overdriven but not super gained-out like the lead channel, so you can really sculpt your tones more. Its very versatile with the mod.

The presence on my blue is not what i'd call fussy, but very picky I suppose. I have to dial it low (3 range) to keep it sounding toneful with bright guitars like my Ibanezes, but it sings sweetly under high settings (7ish) with my PRS and RCA blackplate/Electro-Harmoix 6L6's. Definitely takes some tube dialing in to get the presence settings right.

cremona said:
Nice car btw, that thing goes like a rocket espicaly with a lunch kontrol managed system, cars are also a passion of mine but car prices in denmark are like 4 times what you yanks would pay , so im holding back on that until i get rich and famous :)

Not to threadjack or anything, but this is my current investment until she is running proper. My 1999 Impreza coupe. Very rare here in Alabama. DMV said there is only 2, and mine is the only one in Aspen White!!

myImprezaCoupe.jpg

Your using way too much gain for any type of Metal/hard Rock.

Volume 1 on "8" and Lead drive on "8" is nearly maxed.
This is what is causing all the squeal, loss of definition and dynamics.

How high you have the master level/output set on the EQ you are running into the loop may also be part if it is set too high.

If you want a better cut, boost the mids on the EQ instead of cutting them.

Dial back the lead Drive to maybe "5" or less.

streakin406 said:
The sound I would like would be like my single rec (which so far is my favorite) without the fuzziness and a little smoother.

Sounds exactly like your describing a Boogie Roadster, but alot smoother then the older Recs.

~Nep~

Mesa/Kramer said:
Your using way too much gain for any type of Metal/hard Rock.

Volume 1 on "8" and Lead drive on "8" is nearly maxed.
This is what is causing all the squeal, loss of definition and dynamics.

How high you have the master level/output set on the EQ you are running into the loop may also be part if it is set too high.

If you want a better cut, boost the mids on the EQ instead of cutting them.

Dial back the lead Drive to maybe "5" or less.

What he said. Your whole preamp section is way too loud. Try Vol 1 at 9, Treble (which is really Gain again) at 7 or 8 and Lead Drive at about 5.

Here are the settings I use on my Mark III for a modern metal tone. I keep the bass and master knobs pushed in to keep everything as tight as possible. I also keep the presence at 0; occasionally I'll turn it up to 1 or 2 at max.

front.php

Yep, thats pretty much the standard crush-yr-face-in metal tone.

I add the extra shift and pull deep for live + slave out to a Mosvalve MV962 to a Marshall 4x12 for some extra juice...mmm 210 live watts! I run my lead master lower though since I have the R2 mod.

Back