Heartbreaker Prototype with 2 rectifier tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorrell

Reaction score
I just bought an amp from a guy who didn't know what he had. The tubes were bad, so the original owner thought it was broken and tossed it out...literally!

It's a Mesa Heartbreaker Head. After taking it to my tech for a re-tubing and a serious cleaning, I realized that it has 2 rectifier tubes (rather than 1), and many less switches than the production model, shown on the Mesa sight (only channel and fat/bright switches).

Does anyone know what I might actually have?

Thanks, in advance.

Updated info:

The second rectifier tube was installed before the chassis was powder-coated, so it is not an aftermarket mod. And, there is no serial number, anywhere on the amp. So, all we can guess is that, this amp was a custom or a prototype.

The tech support guy at MB, wasn't willing to talk about the amp. Since it's not a standard production amp, he had nothing for me.

I'm still searching for more info...

nice amp... gotta love Rich...

did you see the manual? yeah only one recto tube referenced... interesting

http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/Heartbreaker.pdf

scott

Scott. You are the man!!!

I just spoke to the man that you suggested I contact. He was awesome. Mystery solved:

The amp I have is a "Rare, one of a kind, early prototype, Heartbreaker". How cool is that?

Now I just have to figure out a price to put on it...

Thanks again, Scott!

Steve

Hmmm...
Is there a way to post pics from an Iphone?
If not, I'll put 'em up this evening.

I put the amp on Craigslist in the San Francisco area. Hopefully, tax refunds will help it to sell.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2830891649.html

Here ya go.
2-1-2012%2Ffd5c774a-4f17-4f3f-a377-d3d7eb1d8120.jpg

5Z05Md5J23Gd3K73pdc2280f340bad7071183.jpg

5K15Hd5J23K63M73L8c2206b627dd3d3116bf.jpg

5N45G25K83L13p03Ndc22792d0a116ae41af0.jpg

Steve

Sorrell said:
Scott. You are the man!!!

I just spoke to the man that you suggested I contact. He was awesome. Mystery solved:

The amp I have is a "Rare, one of a kind, early prototype, Heartbreaker". How cool is that?

Now I just have to figure out a price to put on it...

Thanks again, Scott!

Steve

haha glad i could help! good luck with the sale!

scott

Forum advice needed:
I need to ask a question about how to safely ship a really heavy tube amp.

Any suggestions on where to post that?

Thanks.

Steve.

hey steve...

google search the forum for packing tips....

some say to pull the output/rect. tubes and pack separately

either way, wrap the head in one or two layers of bubble wrap.

make a couple folded "pillows" for each end, making sure the power cord is secure and won't flop around like a wrecking ball

find the heaviest, i think 3 ply box that you can and fill the box with peanuts surrounding your bubble wrapped amp so there is at least 4 inches of peanuts all around. you may want to put some baffles so it doesn't shift too much. use plenty of tape to seal the box.

if you can't find a heavy enough box (stock ups boxes aren't great) maybe reinforce the inside of the box with a layer of cardboard taped to the inside. i have also lined the box with 1/2" board foam insulation, but be careful to have enough peanut/bubble layer as the foam may transmit some impact forces to the head.

bottom line is you don't want the amp to move at all inside the box, and you want it to be able to survive a 4 foot drop

all the best

scott

Thanks Scott. I do have access to 3 layer boxes, so I should be able to make that happen. I'd just hate to see it damaged.

This should allow me to broaden the field of potential buyers, outside of just the Bay Area.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Very cool amp. I've got a standard production model Head.

Does yours have High Gain/Low Gain switches, or is it just low gain on both channels?

I like the idea of 2 rectifiers in this amp because in 60W mode, presumably only one rectifier is in play, therefore giving the vintage sag. With the single rectifier production versions, you have to physically switch the rectifier to a 5YG to get the sag. Almost a mod worth doing.

However, I wouldn't part with the tone switches on the heartbreaker for anything.

This is an amp that I've been falling in love with the more I get it tweaked with the best complement of tubes and cab, etc., It sounds so **** good through a Greenback-ish speaker in low gain modes. Push the lust channel up to about 1:00 with a humbucker with the master cranked and you get Shook Me / ACDC opening rhythm to a T.

Why would you sell this? Crazy!

Latest posts

Back