Guitar volume knob UP = SQUEEL!!! HELP!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sistine35

Reaction score
I have a schecter C-1 classic and Im playing through a mesa dual rectifier 3 channel. Everytime I turn my volume knob up on my guitar all the way it produces a high pitch squeel that is awfull to listen to. Im tired of having to gate my amp bc it just takes so much life out of it. However I dont want to elminate feedback ENTIRELY. I like to have controlled feedback that contours to the key of the song.

If anyone has any help it would be very much appreciated!

Schecter c-1 classic with Jb in the bridge

it's very likely that the grounding of the guitar (pickup) is the problem here (if this is only on this guitar)..if you have any knowledge of electronics or you know anyone who does, ask him to check all the ground wires on the back of your guitar..if the pickup is not grounded properly feedback occurs..and believe me, you do not want feedback like that..controlled feedback is a totally different thing and it depends on your skill, pickups, gain, etc.

+1 for the above post

Also, how high is the gain/volume turned up, and have you tried any other guitars? If you've got the gain cranked, and you're using something like the modern setting, chances are you'll feedback like that.

Turn the gain down!

If it is at a reasonable level, it could be your guitar or cables...check those.

It could also be a microphonic preamp tube :?

If the above doesn't help try using a better pickup choice and make sure that your shielding is in order in your guitar. Cheap Epiphones are notorious for such behavior. Once you swap electronics they tend to mellow out some and behave like they should.

Most likely it isn't a crappy pickup or anything, my friend has a Schecter C-1 Classic, and it has the Duncan JB/59 combo. +1 on checking the electronics stuff checked out.

But, also do some troubleshooting with cables and tubes.

Most likely it isn't a crappy pickup or anything, my friend has a Schecter C-1 Classic, and it has the Duncan JB/59 combo. +1 on checking the electronics stuff checked out.

But, also do some troubleshooting with cables and tubes.

Slightly loose pickup covers can cause this. I don't know if your guitar has them, but especially cheap pickup covers can vibrate and set off the coils and its a nasty squeal. If you can tap on your pickup's cover and hear a real loud clack through the amp your pickups need to be repotted WITH THE COVERS ON or you can just yank the covers off and problem solved.

Latest posts

Back