Got my ED today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I picked up a long head ED today for $1100. Man, the thing just SMOKES. I can't wait to fire it up with my band. Or at home. Or anywhere.

Suddenly not feeling so well - may need to leave work early...

Suffering from a little digestive discomfort? Can we say "GAS PAINS"?!??

I got home after an 8 hour drive, exhausted and beleagured and yet I still fired up my new 'Dyne to have a go.
$1100 is a great price. That is A LOT of amp!!!

I went long time without getting new equipment, so in the last couple of months, I have had plague-level GAS. Insane. And of all the stuff, I am most excited about the Dyne. Didn't expect that. It's the first Boogie where I didn't feel I needed hours and a PhD to get good tone. It will be interesting to see if I can get my Triaxis/2:90 to sound like the Dyne.

elvis said:
I went long time without getting new equipment, so in the last couple of months, I have had plague-level GAS. Insane. And of all the stuff, I am most excited about the Dyne. Didn't expect that. It's the first Boogie where I didn't feel I needed hours and a PhD to get good tone. It will be interesting to see if I can get my Triaxis/2:90 to sound like the Dyne.

I hear you. I had the same amp for 10 years so it makes sense that I was a little frustrated with it. I'm currently kind of bored of my guitars but the Electra Dyne is a mind blowing amp. My drummer keeps commenting on how awesome it is.

elvis said:
It's the first Boogie where I didn't feel I needed hours and a PhD to get good tone. It will be interesting to see if I can get my Triaxis/2:90 to sound like the Dyne.

The ED really was change of direction for Mesa, it interesting that in some ways they have almost gone back to their roots. It's kind of like the MKI. Its relatively simple and builds on the old classics like the MKI did.

Played with the ED last night. It's interesting - a LOT of the tone comes from the power stage (a bit unexpected from a Mesa amp). I put an attenuator in the loop to run at bedroom levels, and it was pretty anemic. But open it up a little (or a lot), and it is a BEAST. I will have to look at a power attenuator.

I like the cleans the best. Fabulous. The transients are spectacular. The crunch modes are good, and I like the amount of crunch on LO and HI. Both are on the low side, so you get more guitar tone through, and it forces you to squeeze out the notes a bit more (I get lazy with my Triaxis and add too much gain). But when I get lazy with the ED, an OD808 takes care of it!

I ran it last night with what was (until yesterday) my F50 pedalboard. Guitar-Tuner-Wah-EVH Phase90-OD808-Amp, and a delay and GEQ (set flat, just for gain/atten) in the loop. Good stuff. My kids were a bit unhappy with the volume level I wound up using...

Yes, I pay the bills. Might as well tell them that I wear wool socks. It has just as little meaning for them...

Forgot to add: my ED is a long head, and I ran it into a pair of recto 1x12 V30 cabs in parallel.

I HATE THE FOOTSWITCH!!! Once again, Mesa can't seem to figure out that I'd pay $10 more for them to figure out how to better indicate:
A: Am I on clean or HI/LO? Green for clean, red for crunch LED would be nice.
B: Am I going to get Hi or LO when I switch from clean? Don't turn the HI/LO LEDs off in clean mode.

Yes, I get it. The HI/LO indicators tell me which mode I'm in. Except I just did a 10-minute space-solo, and now I have to change modes, and I look at the pedal and... ****. Where in Hell am I?

Ya, I hear you about the footswitch. I love my Recto in that I have only one button to worry about pressing at any given time.

With the Electra Dyne, when you are on the clean channel it is impossible to know if the other channel is in vintage lo or vintage hi mode.

Well....I`ve heard a lot of talk about the footswitch and i agree with it being a problem as is. I`m not using the supplied pedal. I`m lucky to have a G system. " Has jack connectors which give you access to relays that can be used to switch channels on the amp".I`m really just getting it set up with my sons help. But it works. Can switch to any mode directly w/one tap on presets.
In the manual EXTERNAL SWITCH it states all. Most use midi for this. All it requires is tip to ground logic and a TRS cable.
I`m really surprised no one`s mentioned that. jeffp

Yeah, the G system is the bomb. I have one also, but on a Triaxis/2:90 setup. I put together an ED with a couple pedals as a simpler alternative. I am fine with the footswitch functions for the ED, but just want better LED indicators.

My F50 footswitch has the same problem. No idea if contour will be on or not when switching from clean to crunch. Switch Doctor sells pedals on eBay that have better indicators. I'd get one of his, but I can do it myself for less than $5. Of course, there's no telling when I might actually get around to it...

Guys, ED is an abbreviation used by the general public for "Erectile Dysfunction." Go back and read this thread, including the title, with that in mind, and see if you can keep from giggling.

Bob

elvis said:
Played with the ED last night. It's interesting - a LOT of the tone comes from the power stage (a bit unexpected from a Mesa amp). I put an attenuator in the loop to run at bedroom levels, and it was pretty anemic. But open it up a little (or a lot), and it is a BEAST. I will have to look at a power attenuator.

I like the cleans the best. Fabulous. The transients are spectacular. The crunch modes are good, and I like the amount of crunch on LO and HI. Both are on the low side, so you get more guitar tone through, and it forces you to squeeze out the notes a bit more (I get lazy with my Triaxis and add too much gain). But when I get lazy with the ED, an OD808 takes care of it!

I ran it last night with what was (until yesterday) my F50 pedalboard. Guitar-Tuner-Wah-EVH Phase90-OD808-Amp, and a delay and GEQ (set flat, just for gain/atten) in the loop. Good stuff. My kids were a bit unhappy with the volume level I wound up using...

That has been my issue with Mesas over the years. I could never get them sounding good at lower volumes....and that is important since I play a lot at home, not always with a band or jam session. Using a pedal works but with my Bogner or PWE Event Horizon I can get great tones at any volume. Maybe a pedal is the solution.

Latest posts

Back