Good Noise gate - ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPIndustrie

Reaction score
Hey.

As you guys may know, I am LOVING my Dual Rectifier. :)

However, right now I'm using my Pod XT in the effects loop simply because I haven't found an good noise gate that could completely silence the guitar in between playing.

Here's the thing, I'm using a pedalboard setup, rather than a rack setup. I'm currently in a RATM-tribute band (www.myspace.com/thebattleoflosangelesny) , and obviously need to stick with my wah, whammy, boss flanger, etc.

For the life of me, I can not find a good noise gate in pedal format. I know I could find a great one in rack format, but I've already invested so much in my pedalboard, and I'd really rather not replace it with a rack effects processor, or have to carry around a rack in addition to my pedalboard when we have gigs.

Could anybody recommend any good noise gates in pedal format? I've tried the boss noise supressor and the rocktron hush - and while they SUPPRESSED the noise, they did not gate the sound. I want something that actually cuts the signal depending on thresholds.

Thanks.

I like the Boss noise suppressor, maybe you didn't have the gate set 'tight' enough. You have to set the first knob almost at maximum and the second knob almost at minimum. It will shut your signal off immediately with no feedback.

I've heard good things about the ISP Decimator, but haven't tried one since I've used the Boss for like 10 years.

The ISP noise decimator is by far the best! Used it for a year and a half before I got my recto, and then sold it, since my recto is suprisingly quite!

But it is definitely your best bet!

Thanks. Ironically, I only learned about the ISP just now while searching for noise gates on eBay.

My RKII is so quiet I don't use a gate. I did have a Boss NS-2 and it worked great.

Another thumbs up on the Decimator. I have the pedal, and it completely kills the 60-Hz hum problem I was having in my house (cheaper by far than hiring an electrician). I haven't noticed it killing tone at all, and its response is great.

The only negative is that the little round plastic cap on top of the dial came unglued after about six months. It shouldn't be a big deal to re-glue it back on, though (just too lazy at the moment).

The ISP is great. If your a littler cheaper buy a Rocktron Hush pedal. Its great also and only 60 bucks.

They aren't "noise gates" though and thats why they are so much better. They are noise reducing pedals so they don't cut your signal like a noise gate and funk up your tone.

Is the Rocktron Hush much better than the BOSS NS-2?...How does it compare to the ISP?...Does it color you tone in any way?...I'm also looking for a good noise "hushing" unit and I'm torn...I currently own a BOSS NS-2, but I'm reading all these negative feedbacks on the thing...To be honest, I never compared it to other units, so I have no idea what's the tonal difference...I've also read that the ISP can be tricky to set right and that it kills your clean tone...Please help!

Latest posts

Back