Good metal pick up?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
For my Gibson SG Std. Currently my guitar is stock and sounds a little weak for metal and hardcore, even though I'm putting it through a Dual Rec and a 4x12 w/V30s. Can u recommend a good metal pick up that will suit the guitar? I'm thinking maybe a Dimarzio D Sonic...Thanks!

Bill Lawrence L500's.

They come in flavors of (R)ythm, (L)ead, (XL)ead, and (C)lean

These are the most awesome pickups, period. Bright, clear, crisp high end thats well balanced. Tight bottom end.

Once you go chrome, you'll never roam...

www.billlawrence.com

http://www.wildepickups.com/The_Wilde_Collection.php

IMG_1560.png

DMT, can you clarify on WHICH B.L. you're talking about? There's the REAL B.L., then there's BLUSA. I've hear the "usa" is just a rip-off of his "old" work.

and find out all the tech stuff on em, here:

http://guitarsbyfender.yuku.com/topic/3027

and find out all the tech stuff on em, here:

http://guitarsbyfender.yuku.com/topic/3027

**** you for saying that, i'm trying to talk myself out of putting actives in it and you go and say that! lol

Could you expand on why you swear by the 85's and not the 81's? What guitars have u had them in? Much appreciated mate!

Lundgren M6? think meshuggah

For me, they made my guitar sound better on cleans (in addition to increase my output by.. a lot)

SD JB/Jazz combo. Little mid rangy though. Not sure how it would sound with the natural scooped DR. Never tried them with my 2ch DR.

Botch said:
**** you for saying that, i'm trying to talk myself out of putting actives in it and you go and say that! lol

Could you expand on why you swear by the 85's and not the 81's? What guitars have u had them in? Much appreciated mate!

I've used EMG's on and off for the last 10 years. I've had 81's in a bunch of guitars, and then yanked them out because they were pretty sterile. Then I tried 85's in the bridge, and was in heaven. the 85 has more low end and low mids, and is a lot warmer due to the alnico magnets. It has all of the clarity of an active pickup, but most of the warmth of a passive. 81's sound great in BIG guitars like les pauls, but in just about anything else i prefer 85's.

EirikBrandal said:
Lundgren M6? think meshuggah

For me, they made my guitar sound better on cleans (in addition to increase my output by.. a lot)
How night and day (or not) was it when you went to the M6 from your HFS (assuming that's what you had)? I'm considering a Lundgren M7 for my 7string but they are pretty pricey to buy from USA. :(

Edit: Just listened to some of your band's stuff, it's really cool! Also, your "influences" list pretty much listed every one of my favorite bands :)

Nitrobattery said:
Botch said:

I've used EMG's on and off for the last 10 years. I've had 81's in a bunch of guitars, and then yanked them out because they were pretty sterile. Then I tried 85's in the bridge, and was in heaven. the 85 has more low end and low mids, and is a lot warmer due to the alnico magnets. It has all of the clarity of an active pickup, but most of the warmth of a passive. 81's sound great in BIG guitars like les pauls, but in just about anything else i prefer 85's.

Thanks, that was a great reply, the 85's are definately in being considered. Sounds like just my thing.

I love the 85's. I played them in a friends guitar and now want them in mine haha. Just thought I'd give you a second opinion on the 85s.

I have an old Ovation Hardbody electric, the thing weighs a ton and is a rock solid guitar. The pups that came with it were pretty cheesy, so I added an EMG 81 to the bridge and have never turned back. When it comes to heavy guitar sounds, the 81 has really come through for me.

In terms of having a big low end, the Seymour Duncan Blackouts certainly deliver on that front. I recently replaced the EMG 81-60 combo in my Ibanez MTM1, and have noticed an overall increase in output, especially in the low end department. They're a great metal pickup, although the EMGs are certainly still an excellent choice; I'm still using them in two other guitars.

A guitar mentor of mine had an SG (in a horribly faded and somehow still gorgeous dark red stain) with EMGs in it. It was an amazing sound out of that guitar, and it's prompted me to added an exact copy of that guitar to my "someday" guitar collection list. Unfortunately, I can't tell you for sure whether they were 81s or 85s, but I suspect they were 85s.

Back