Good metal pick up?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well if we are on the subject of actives.................

Don't forget to checkout the seymour duncan blackouts. They sound pretty good to my ears anyway.

Used them with my triple recto and was pretty happy.

I use EMG 81 Bridge & an EMG 60 Neck - I love em, they're in my ESP Explorer...

I've always wanted to try a Tom Anderson H3 - Pepper Keenan uses em in his SG's...

Here's whats on the Tom Anderson webpage:

"H3 Our original super hot pickup. This is the pickup used for developing, testing and insuring the great tonal quality of Mesa Boogie amplifiers. The sound is open, not muddy, but with rich, full mid and bottom end tone."

http://www.andersonguitars.com/tonelibpickup.cfm

I find the 81 gives me more "depth" or "range" in my palm mutes, if that even makes sense...I can get thicker/heavier chugga chugga type palm mutes going as appose to passives.

I've tried a Dimebucker and thought it sucked big time...also wanted to try a Bill Lawrence L500 as mentioned above....

Tons of options...But from direct experience the EMG 81/60 is killer!

I had an H3 in my Les Paul for a while. I really liked it. Swapped it out for a Suhr DSH and like the Suhr a lot more in that particular guitar.

To be honest the idea of a 'metal' pickup baffles me. The pickup is only one part of a players tone and in all types of metal you can find good tones from guys with low, medium or high output pickups.

Thanks for the replies! If anyone's interested I went for a Bare Knuckles Miricle Man. Sounds great. Tight as hell. Reaaaally tight. Way tighter than the EMG81 I had in my Les Paul.

Latest posts

Back