Good delay unit for use in effects loop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamstein

Reaction score
Currently I've got an Ibanez de7 in the loop, and it works ok - but..... the **** thing is not unity gain, - it lowers the signal a little bit. It's not really noticable, and I only very rarely use delay, but I find this sort of thing extremely irritating! :evil:

Any suggestions for a nice delay unit to replace it? - Preferably not in the stratospheric price range!

I use the seymour duncan deja vu mate, too many features to list here but specifically tap tempo, true bypass or trailing repeats, both digital and analog chips (Proper bucket brigade chip).

Very nice delay, very versatile and about 240 quid.

I love the Damage control Timeline in the loop of my LSS. Very versatile and it sounds amazing. Check out Youtube for some clips.

I need a knob! tap tempo sucks for me! Maybe I'm a bit 'old school'! also I was more thinking of a simple unit, - the nova looks great, but it does too much, - all I need is a simple box that gives a quiet 300ms and above echo! Built a few BBD units in my time, - wonder if the latest batch of such things have a better s/n ratio? - I Doubt it! :lol: :lol:

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay. Simple to use, quiet, sounds great, up to 600ms, $150.00 USD.

ziehmrd said:
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay. Simple to use, quiet, sounds great, up to 600ms, $150.00 USD.
...agree on this, surely a great pick in a very affordable price range (reviev + video).

I'd also check out the Wampler ones (Faux Tape Echo or the Analog Echo which is exactly the same but without the tape modulation)...think they sound both pretty good but not so cheap. The only drawback to me is that they're a sort of hybrid units so the signal comes in analog, then is processed by a digital chip to reproduce echoes and then converted back to analog and eq'd...the point is that if you're looking for a true analog sound, this will sound much more accurate and bright. Besides, some users are reporting a clipping issue when pushed by distortion or overdrive placed before it in the pedal chain (not confirmed though and honestly I cannot notice it from samples like this one, where the echo is pushed by a very high gain pedal like the Triple Wreck), but if you want to use it in the effects loop then there wouldn't be any problem at all.

Talking about delays and echoes I cannot skip over my favourite (that I actually own), the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man but this is surely not on the cheap side and the old version has also been replaced by a new one that doesn't sound as good to me, so if you like it you'd probably look on the second-hand market. This will give you a pure analog sound and feel, so it sounds a lot less accurate than a digital delay and even darker, especially if you place it into the pedal chain (in the effects loop the repetitions sounds more clear and bright, but not accurate as a digital unit for sure); if you like this type of sound that's unbeatable to me (unless you can afford something like this of course, LOL :lol: ), plus it gives you a great feeling when you play...cannot really describe, but it's a pleasure for sure!

Hope this helps :wink:

P.S. of course there are a couple more I'd suggest too, but they're in a very "stratospheric price range" so I guess they're out of the game (honestly I wouldn't spend that much on a delay/echo too, unless is a true tape echo like the Fulltone for example...just my 2 cents).

Hamstein said:
I need a knob! tap tempo sucks for me! Maybe I'm a bit 'old school'! also I was more thinking of a simple unit, - the nova looks great, but it does too much, - all I need is a simple box that gives a quiet 300ms and above echo! Built a few BBD units in my time, - wonder if the latest batch of such things have a better s/n ratio? - I Doubt it! :lol: :lol:

I have an MXR carbon copy and it is really good. Great value for the $. The best old school analog delay I have found is the Maxon AD 900, the out of production model, not the AD 999 new chip model. It is still really good. The old Maxon is rated very very high on Harmony Central reveiws, Guitar Player Editors Pick award, etc. They are still out there to be had but they are not made any longer and the components inside them are not all made but still available NOS. You gotta try it if you can find one. One of the classics. Old school is in session with that one. 8)

Hmmm, the carbon copy sounds good, - but is 600ms enough? Probably, - I'm being fussy!

Quite keen on electroharmonix stuff, I have the Holier Grail to provide reverb on my 1977 phoenix (It's solid state output stage has finally gone kaput, and I can't find a replacement, - anybody know where theres an available ILP HY200 monobloc power amp? :lol: )
- but the valve preamp on it still sounds good plugged into my desk for practice.
I bought the LSS to replace the old phoenix as it has been my faithful workhorse for years, I know it's a hybrid and hence the spawn of satan, but it had a good range of nice sounds, and I'll miss it! :cry:

No need for the holier grail on the LSS as I like it's reverb, and as usual, only have a tiny amount on my sound.

Thanks for your replies folks, any more suggestions will be cogitated upon, I'm still not sure what to get! :D

I use an Ibanez ad 9 and a visual sound h2o chorus and echo. the Ibanez is warm and fat and I use it alot for my clean sounds. Probably the same as the maxon unit. Visual Sound also has a new line of pedals coming out called Garage Tone. They are supposed to emulate sounds of the pricey boutique units at a gigging musicians price range.

I have been using the eventide time factor for a while now and it sounds great and no tone degradation. Great patches and control of your delays.
i also have a Line 6 echo pro rack delay that is fantastic especially with in/out level controls for matching unity in the LS FX loop.
I have not tried my industry standard Line 6 DL-4 but i would assume(?) that it would be a good choice too!
I wouldn't mind getting the Gigrig wet Box to turn the LS FX loop into a parallel loop though
have fun!!!
ADAM

+1 on the Eventide Timefactor.
Every time I consider selling mine and getting something a bit simpler, and finance another pedal or two :? , I play around with it and think "that's why I still have this". If I need a new form of delay or delay/modulation, I'm able to get it from the Timefactor. Great, great delay. Super versatile and pretty simple to use once you familiarize yourself with it. The thing that I think sets it apart is the ability to run two delay times simultaneously and having modulation available on most of the delay types.

Another huge vote for the Eventide unit. My amp sounds awesome with that unit. May cost a bit more than some others, but does everything you want, including expression pedal programmable to any function. big thumbs up.

Back