Gonna buy a caliber 50+ without EQ, need some help please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filip28

Reaction score
Hello,

Just discovered this forum. Cool. Excuse me for my english but i'm a begian who lives in France :D

So, i'm going to buy a caliber 50+ this sunday from someone but it's a caliber 50+ without the EQ. Are they as good as the others? Can i get the metal sounds out of it or do i have to invest in some EQ pedal like a Boss EG7 (ore something similar)?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Filip

I'd recommend you not to buy the amp unless you have the chance to try it out before.

I know three people who owned caliber 50+ amps and not one of them did high gain sounds as well as modern boogie amps (mark IV / rectifier). The only guitar player i know who got a good sound of it used only its clean sound and some pedals (H&K Tubefactor) for distortion.

But please compare this amp to some modern affordable tube amps and see if it really fits your style. Apart from sound they'll be more versatile when used live (Independence of channels / Fx Loop / ...).

Regarding the eq you shoud definitely get a pedal for it. I use a mxr 6band eq with my mark iic+ and it works perfectly. :)

It depends on what type of Metal sounds you are looking for.

The .50+ can do just about any older style Metal you can think of. COC used to use them.
If you want modern Metal tones, you may have to use a pedal. That being said, this amp is still much better built than almost any new amp, including Mesa.

The only drawback to the .50+ without an EQ is that you will have the same EQ settings for both channels. This is not a bad thing if you do not care for pristine clean tones. I had mine set up for a mild crunch on the clean channel and really heavy distortion on the lead.

If the price is right and you like the tones, but need more gain, just get a pedal and be happy. It will last forever.

Also, there are a lot of good videos on You Tube for the .50+.

Thank you for your quick answers. When i said metal it is some older stuff like the Metallica ride the lightning or justice for all. I don't need some modern high gain sounds like for example Static x.
For the clean sounds, i just need some chorus or sometimes bluesy crunchy sounds. However, i think it is also possible to use the volume of my guitar to get some "cleaner sounds". Is that the right amp for doing that stuff?

And adding an EQ pedal for having the famous "V setting", must it go into the effectloop for that?

Thank you.

Filip

I would say try it 1st and see if you like it, but with some new tubes, that amp should be fine.

The EQ should go in the Loop to make the most difference. A good EQ will make all the difference in the world. You should be able to get almost any tones you want with a good one.

Thank you. I just sold my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Beautifull clean tones but that was all... I had to put in some pedals for high gain and you know it as well as me that pedals don't make the difference. Like James Hetfield said once in an interview : The best distortion comes from the amp, pedals are just used to get i little fuzz on the top. I think we can trust the guy :D

Thank you all for the answers.

Filip

my old .50+ had 6l6 and GEQ - i think that's the way to go. it was still a one-trick pony - one tone at a time. an awesome tone, but if you want some cleans, then some metal - you are going to be turning knobs rather than switching channels. which is why i don't have one any more.

i will say i got some serious tone compliments using that amp - something like "your playing sucks, but thatamp really comes alive !!!"

I have a .50 Cal+ and I love it. Killer tone, you can get Hetfield's 80's tone pretty **** close with ease. I would really suggest waiting and getting one with EQ. I mean I guess you could get an external EQ pedal, but they will affect different frequencies (which may be good or bad...), but I always prefer plugging straight in without any FX's...if need be, get a parametric EQ. But definitly get a .50 Cal+ with the on board EQ.

Also, ditch the C90 speaker which it'll probably come with, I've tried both the Vintage 30 and now the G12T-75 and for Hetfield's 80's tone I'd say try the G12T-75 for sure!

The speaker makes a huge difference - in my opinion.

Good luck.

Try these settings if/when you find one:

http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/metallica.html

These settings are for a Mark IIC+ but you'll find the .50 Cal+ dials in very similar, good starting point.

Thank you guys. I'm going to try the amp on sunday. I will let you know wath i'm thinking about it and if i baught it.

Filip

So, i baught it...Great sounding amp. Just one problem. On both channels i have a vibration when i'm playing. A BZZZZzz of something that touches another thing. What can it be because i dont see anything, just the part on top of the preamp tubes that is fixed with some coil springs.

Can it be that or did you guys already had the same problem?

Thank you

Filip

Congradulations!

I would start by making sure all of the nuts are tight on the speaker. Don't over-tighten them because you do not want to bend the frame of the speaker.

Then, I would check the chassis bolts, and any screws that hold the cabinet together.

Thank you. I'm going to try all this out. Keep you in touch. I'm not familiar with older amps so thank you very much for helping me

So, i decrewed and rescrewed everything :wink:, cleaned it up and it's alright now except the effect loop. I have to patch it. I'm gonna buy some electric cleaner and it will be ok. At least i hope :p

I need the effect loop to put an equaliser in it.

See you guys,

Filip

I use a tool called, 'Conductool' to clean all of my jacks. It is made out of graphite, so it cleans and lubes at the same time. I can't find them any more though and I think the company went out of business. Too bad really, cuz it's the best tool I've ever found for cleaning them.

Spray the cleaner in the hole and then insert and remove the cord a few times. You might try a planet waves cord too. They have a flange on the ground that really grabs the jack and makes great contact.

If the Loop still doesn't work after cleaning out the jacks, you may want to replace V3.

Thanks for the help. I will do this on Thursday. Can't do it before. I played about an hour today and great tones came out. But it is really really a loud amp for just being so small.

Keep you in touch.

Filip

Everything is OK. I'm happy with it.

It's just amazing that a so little amp is so loud. It's 2 times less big then a Fender Hot Rod...

Back