Give me your opinion on this tone!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
Hi, I'm gonna recording a demo with my band and we were looking for a decent hard rock tone, so yesterday I was experimenting some stuff... and in the end I recorded this clip, so I would like to know what do you guys think about the guitar tone and if it could be a decent tone to record a demo.
Here's the clip:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=642176&songID=5462146

suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

18&Life said:
Before I hear I want to know if I should be honest or polite ? :shock:
I think you know me quite well, I never get angry for bad comments since they're the most useful to improve :wink:
feel free to say what you want

That's what I was expecting from you :D

I don't like this type of music and tones BUT
I think your tone is pretty good.
I don't know what equipments you're using but it sounded a little digital to my ears.
If you're using tube amps,maybe because of equalization ,recording equipment or mp3 converter.
BUT nothing that compromise your tone.
Good work :D

Thanks to all for the comments!

Anomaly said:
Are you those live drums? or software?
Not really a tone Guru.. there okay with Me.
Drums are DFH EZDrummer plugin (rock-pop set). Bass is done with a plugin too.

18&Life said:
I don't know what equipments you're using but it sounded a little digital to my ears.
Indeed I used a Line6 Spider and a very cheap pc mic to record the clip (randomly placed in addition). Then I did some post-equalization to smooth out the tone a bit. I've got also a mesa studio pre, but I haven't got a serious equipment to record it in a right way.

The guitar sounded great...however...in the context of the song, it was a bit too Leslie type...as in organ...if you kept that chorusy type effect off, it would have killed...also, not on your side of things, the bass player was really weak...tell him to play with some balls...love the sound of the mesa

AMP10 said:
The guitar sounded great...however...in the context of the song, it was a bit too Leslie type...as in organ...if you kept that chorusy type effect off, it would have killed...also, not on your side of things, the bass player was really weak...tell him to play with some balls...love the sound of the mesa

I think this guy doesn't spend time reading your post,he simply talks what he's wanting to :lol:
Only guitar is real.
He doesn't used mesa stuff.

Beer kill sometimes :lol:

18&Life said:
AMP10 said:

I think this guy doesn't spend time reading your post,he simply talks what he's wanting to :lol:
Only guitar is real.
He doesn't used mesa stuff.

Beer kill sometimes :lol:

I indeed already said what I've used, but there is no problem, sometimes it happens to me too to go straight listening to the clip without reading the full post when I'm in hurry. However thanks for the support 18&Life :D

AMP10, thanks for the comment. As said only the guitar is "real" and the only instrument I paid attention to. I don't know about that chorusy effect...guitar is 100% dry. it could be due to double tracking, a bit too much gain, a bit too much mids perhaps...

HAHA...it all makes sense...I listened to the clip and posted a response...isn't that the beauty of constructive criticism?

Sounds good! The AC/DC guitar sound is usually effects-free, so keep that in mind. I think you've come close! Head to the studio and let us know how it turns out...

I'd kind of like to hear the stuff that your going to do using that tone. I don't feel the tone worked for the AC/DC cover. I'm sure that wasn't the intent, you were most likely looking for something to play to record and that's cool. But...If your playing something that has that AC/DC feel, I agree with MusicManJP6. AC/DC is just several 50watt Marshall heads, a 61' SG and chord.

It did sound digital and that is not my cup of tea. I have an old J-Station and it used to sound great through my 5150. My ROV doesn't like it at all! It's still great for practicing with head phones.

Keep posting the clips!

AMP10 said:

cocaine is a hell of a drug...

That's a pretty good sound for rock and roll.

Just record what you think sounds good. Tone is so subjective that you'll never find a concensus on what sounds good.

Scott

tone was good, although it sounded almost distant...as if you were playing in another room or the mic was too far from the speaker.

Elpelotero said:
tone was good, although it sounded almost distant...as if you were playing in another room or the mic was too far from the speaker.
thanks Elpelotero (btw, does your nickname mean something like soccer player???). The mic couldn't be closer to the speaker, it was at about two millimeters from the grille... but it is a really really cheap pc mic!

Latest posts

Back