Gibson quality... when did they get unstable?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevilDog48

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal. I want a Gibson Explorer. I want to customize it, but I need a solid foundation for that customization.

When did Gibson's quality start becoming shaky? What exactly is being affect by the quality control problems?

I have a chance to get either a 1998 Gibson Explorer, or a 2003 Gibson Explorer.

Of those two years, which year is better?

Ill post this over at gibsontalk.com as well

thanks for the help.

-Ed

1961 :D

Lol I don't know for sure...I'm not an expert at all on Gibson. I just know the 50's and early 60's were their prime time. After that, it's like a shot in the dark to me!

in terms of pauls,there is a grey period before 2002..not to dog out lps between 92 -02,but I have heard a few stories...some good gibson forums out there to check out-I am a lefty,so it doesnt matter to me..takes what I get!not familiar with explorers,but seek and ye shall find

I have never come across a newer Les Paul in a shop that wasnt fixable as far as tone/playability is concerned. I think that most Gibson QC issues are actually guitars that arent maintained properly at the dealer level. Finish issues are another area....but remember that Gibson IS a huge maker and pumps out a LOT of guitars. Not a good excuse but it seems to be true of PRS also...I have seen some pretty nasty issues on PRS finishes.

I am NOT talking Norlin era Gibson pieces....which I think are pretty much second rate across the board.

If you want impeccable QC go boutique.

Play them both and then decide which is better. As for QA issues, Gibson has had some less than satisfactory runs in production that have resulted in finish quality that was less than desirable. There again, every Gibson is different too. No two are a like. This is just part of the hand building mojo. Sure they have jigs and machines to assist in the manufacturing process but in the end it is a human that is actually in control of each phase. I think the most obvious QA issues have been finish problems though where they have slacked on frets or the actual finish of the guitars. I have seen many that get some runs or that even have little areas where the finish is blemished or even cracked at the neckjoint straight from the factory. Some of the finish problems come from a rush in production where there is less time allowed for curing. I wouldn't let the stigma of Gibson's recent QA issues stop you from buying a Gibson. I would however suggest you play any Gibson that you intend on buying before buying it. They all play a little different and feel a little different. In addition to this you get the opportunity to actually check out the finish in person.

lesterpaul said:
in terms of pauls,there is a grey period before 2002..not to dog out lps between 92 -02,but I have heard a few stories...some good gibson forums out there to check out-I am a lefty,so it doesnt matter to me..takes what I get!not familiar with explorers,but seek and ye shall find

My '94 studio plays better than most (about 99.9%) of the Les Pauls I have touched. I looked for a good Les Paul for a couple years playing everything from Specials and Juniors all the way up through Custom Shop guitars. I searched from FL to PA. I ended up with that Studio. The ebony board is killer with the large trap inlays. '94 was the centennial year and after the Custom Shop orders were filled they started assisting the standard production quotas. You might just find a Custom Shop built production model even though you'd never know it because they didn't logo them any different than a typical production guitar. Because mine feels so different I am thinking it might be one of those. If not it was just a fluke. It has everything going for it. Tone, action, playability, finish (it had a great finsih till I started playing it).

russ is dead on...i was referring to the standards,but a lot of the complaints were in regards to binding,bridge,etc...around 2002,I think, the standard started sporting the "vintage" style binding...diff. pups...etc...things that are fixable in case you do not like-I figure you would get a nice chunk of wood with a good neck..I just love the Gibby necks-had a Norlin lefty...hefty hefty hefty,but the neck was there-when did they go corporate with musiciansfriend/etc...?I bought a 2002 that came from a dealer,and it is the stuff!!

Well Im glad to hear that the issue wasnt with construction or materials. I plan on having the guitar refinished and have an ebony fretboard installed (instead of rosewood) along with some..... wood reconstruction. hehe.

Thanks for the help guys and Ill let ya know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back