Gibson LP Vintage Mahagony With A Lone Star Special?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonator

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany at a very reasonable price and was wondering how it will sound with my LSS 410. It's a friend who lives 700 miles away so I can't try, before I buy. The only guitar I have with humbucker's right now is a Gretsch Nashville with TV Jones PU's. I't sounds good, but these PU's are a little hotter than a lot of humbucker's. I've read a few post saying the LSS isn't as good with humbucker's as single coil guitars. So far, I'd have to agree with that. My Strat and Tele both are better than the Gretsch with the LSS.

Res

love my vintage mahogany now that ive changed the pickups.
hated the bb pros. sounded wierd. had a wierd middy nasal honk and sounded thin.
now with the 496r/500ts i absolutely love the guitar.

cliff hetfield said:
hated the bb pros. sounded wierd. had a wierd middy nasal honk and sounded thin.

I'm not familiar with the PU's you installed. Are they hot PU's? Can you describe the tone?

Thanks, Res

Resonator said:
I have a chance to buy a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany at a very reasonable price and was wondering how it will sound with my LSS 410. It's a friend who lives 700 miles away so I can't try, before I buy. The only guitar I have with humbucker's right now is a Gretsch Nashville with TV Jones PU's. I't sounds good, but these PU's are a little hotter than a lot of humbucker's. I've read a few post saying the LSS isn't as good with humbucker's as single coil guitars. So far, I'd have to agree with that. My Strat and Tele both are better than the Gretsch with the LSS.

Res

I would try a similar guitar with your LSS before I did the deal .

Barry said:
Resonator said:

Res

I would try a similar guitar with your LSS before I did the deal .

I thought about doing just that, but I'd have to find one that I could test drive at home. I'm not going to haul my LSS 410 to the store. :shock:

Res

I tried a LSS with a '61 Reissue SG ('57 classics) today and liked it a lot. I would recommend a low output humbucker as I agree that Boogies seemed voiced optimally for single coils. Lower range Burstbuckers (1-3)might actually sound really good with a Boogie as I find hotter humbuckers on the muddy/darker side with Mesa. I had the bass practically off on both channels with the SG when driving at all.

Plus Mesa's need a little help with brighter/snappier tones with a Gibson.

Maybe some Antiquities or whoever makes something that isn't above 7-8k.

skoora said:
I tried a LSS with a '61 Reissue SG ('57 classics) today and liked it a lot. I would recommend a low output humbucker as I agree that Boogies seemed voiced optimally for single coils. Lower range Burstbuckers (1-3)might actually sound really good with a Boogie as I find hotter humbuckers on the muddy/darker side with Mesa. I had the bass practically off on both channels with the SG when driving at all.

Plus Mesa's need a little help with brighter/snappier tones with a Gibson.

Maybe some Antiquities or whoever makes something that isn't above 7-8k.

That might be true with the LSS but the Stiletto sounds best with humbucker guitars .

absolutely love my stiletto with single coil guitars.[/i]

Rocky said:
absolutely love my stiletto with single coil guitars.[/i]

I use single coils with mine as well but I feel the Stiletto sounds best with mahogany based humbucker guitars . LPs fit like a glove . Its all subjective .

skoora said:
I agree about the stilleto but the OP was asking about the LSS.[/quote

Earlier in the thread you said Mesa's dont do well with Humbuckers or something along those lines . I was only responding that some mesa's do very well with them

But you have to admit the stilleto is pretty unique in the boogie lineup. Until it was released Boogie's in general from Rec's to mark's all responded better to either single coils or bolt on neck humbucker guitars.

Boogie openly admits they were attempting to make their "Marshall"

skoora said:
But you have to admit the stilleto is pretty unique in the boogie lineup. Until it was released Boogie's in general from Rec's to mark's all responded better to either single coils or bolt on neck humbucker guitars.

Boogie openly admits they were attempting to make their "Marshall"

I dont agree with you . Mark IVs sound amazing with humbuckers and i would say the Recs sound best with humbuckers . I dont think a glued in neck or bolt on is going make or break it either . Ive been using Mesa's for 27 years exclusively and got some amazing sounds out of my old mark IIB using a LP . As I said its all subjective . Im sure your take on them is quite valid as well .

Resonator said:
cliff hetfield said:

I'm not familiar with the PU's you installed. Are they hot PU's? Can you describe the tone?

Thanks, Res
the 496r/500t ceramic humbuckers are the stock pickups issues in gibson explorers and flying vs. they are definitely hot, but then again, i dont have my pickups set very close to the strings and i dont use too much gain. so using these pickups doesnt necessarily mean "metal".
if you want metal its there, but i go for a warmer tone with plently of punch, but its balanced. not overly "scooped" sounding.
the 500t in the bridge is tight, well balanced with somewhat scooped tone with a good amount of highs and upper mids. i really like this pickup.
the 496r in the neck is good for cleans and bluesish leads. its a warm sound, but it gets muddy if not eq'd right with the amp.

The LSS was not bad sounding with the humbuckers.. I tried it out with my LP Standard w/ Duncans in B/N..

As far as the Stiletto... I really loved the sound of humbuckers also... the single coils were too much for the amp for my tone. Too cutting and trebly that it bordered on screechy and shrill in my head.

However... I am into throaty guitar sounds.. and I am also not an EL34 person... 6L6's are my thing... w/ Gibsons..

I play both humbuckers and singles through my LSS. When playing a LP straight into the LSS, you will have a tone much like Dicky Betts with the Allman Bros. (I keep the "thickness"switch in the UP position, it tends to give a bit of a British spank to your sound) When I am going for a classic rock overdrive sound (Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh, Led Zepp etc) with Les Pauls and other humbuckers, I have a Rob Keeley Rat pedal that just ooooozes classic distortion tone through this amp w/ the pedal level (volume) around 1:00 and the distortion only at 10:00....it is pretty sweet. Also the Keeley Rat has 2 extra modes toggled in w/ a 3-way mini toggle that make for nice pallot of other tones. In one mode, you get the classic RAT, in another it is like a mellowed out classic RAT sound with a bit of a boost in the bass; the other mode is a clean boost.

The Keeley Rat is my "go-to" pedal for all of my EL-34 and EL-84 amps when I want to make a humbucker sound classic; in fact, if you do a search of RAT pedal artists, or go to their website, you will see that not only the ones mentioned above use it, (and used it in the 70's) but tons more did too. Get the guitar, but get this pedal!!!

Latest posts

Back