Transatlantic on the way

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogn4u

Reaction score
Well I made a deal (swap/cash) for a Transatlantic. Should have it next week. What sold me was this: last winter I was at Sam Ash in Hollywood, picking up some Celestions for the cabs I make. It's about 2-1/2 hours south of home, so I always take the PCH thru Zuma, Malibu, etc, and always stop at GC and the Boogie Boutique across the street. Like West 48th Street in NYC, a whole bunch of high end stores and goodies are clustered in a short section of Sunset. Hollywood is a gnarly place, tho, for visitors and Pilgrims I have this advice: arm thyself and drive a beater.
Anyway, while talking to John T at the Boogie store (whose knowledge is such that even the cats from Petaluma, 4-500 miles north, are impressed, and they're a cynical, world-weary bunch), I noticed a Trans. It must have been a beta unit, as I hadn't even seen it on the web or in the mags yet. What grabbed and held my attention was the very accurate Vox tone, partly from the EL84s (love that tube), and partly the circuitry, I guess. But, while I love the vintage Vox tone, my impression has been that their workmanship has been lacking...although the Night Train I briefly owned ran just fine.
But the Transatlantic seemed to offer Vox tone and Boogie build quality (like a brick shithouse), so I knew eventually I'd own one. So for a week or so, all I have amp-wise is (believe it or not) a Vox AC4TV 4-watt head pushing one of my own cabs witha 12" Greenback. On the 1/4 watt setting, I can dime this lil' amp and it sounds absolutely bitchin, with either Tele, Strat, or LP in front. As I told Scotty at Sam Ash, it sounds like a Blackface twin and an old AC30 had a nasty little baby.
BTW - I'm sorry about the block of text. I try to break it up with paragraphs, but they disappear when I post. Suggestions?
This appears to contradict the hesitation I expressed above about buying new Vox amps, but at $199, I didn't mind rolling the dice. I just don't want to spend $1500 or more on a handwired AC15 reissue and have it crap out. In fact, this AC4TV crapped out as soon as I got it home, and it wasn't just tubes or fuse. But the replacement (thanks, Scotty) has been fine for daily use for 4 months now. Like my Rode tube microphone, the AC4TV sounds best if allowed to idle for a couple hours first. No standby & no FX loop...but like I said, sub-$200...and it actually sounds pretty good, at least thru a 12" Greenback.
I'm going to teach myself how to build amps next. A new challenge. I already build my own cabs and have built a 000 or OM-style acoustic for a friend, as well as a D-28 style for myself that I keep Nashville tuned. I prefer Gibson's acoustic tone, however, and my main acoustic go-to is a two year old Hummingbird that is just now starting to blossom tonally. Have also built a nice home studio, based around a MacBook Pro (3 GHz), Pro Tools, Rode Mics, and a nice Langevin two-channel Pre. Electric guitars? After 30 years and 30-40 guitars, from Ariel to Schecter, I've pared it down to three that I'm pretty sure I'll never voluntarily part with: A USA '52 Reissue Tele with a Duncan Mini-bucker at the neck; a 1995 USA Standard Strat that I blocked off the tail on and installed a set of Gold Lace-Sensors, and a Epiphone Elitist Les Paul, built in Fujijen of US parts...which I'll put up against any US Gibson LP, any day.
I'm done. Many of you will laugh as you roll your eyes, but my GAS is under control. Someday, if the price is right and the condition impeccable, I might buy one of those early Music Man EVH models...but it would be extra/gravy, and I have no burning desire. One nice thing about keeping guitars is that those oh-so-cool fingermarks on maple boards are actually made by you over the years, as opposed to by some embarrassed luthier at the Custom Shop. At least I'd be embarrassed. It's like trying to buy experience or wisdom: a fool's mission. And what a racket! Beat the snot out of a $1200 guitar and sell it for $3000. PT Barnum was right on the money!

Back