Getting Brutal Metal Tones From Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xedwinx206

Reaction score
Hey guys im new to mesa amps. im picking up a mesa dual rectifier head for a steal. $700 tommorow. But i was wondering if people could help me with some good settings for brutal metal because thats what i play. i listen to bands like BTBAM, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, etc
thanks
edwin song

Congrats on the Recto. Is it a 2 channel or a 3?

I have 2 different types of settings that I use. When I'm at home playing with myself...:shock:...err jamming... I tend to have the recto very scooped, it just sounds so heavy :twisted:. When playing with the band the bass and gain go down the mids and volume come up. Boosting the recto tightens her up quite a bit. I use a Boss SD-1 overdrive pedal for this. Use 6L6's for ultimate thumpage or EL34's for a tighter feel. A good place to start is set everything to noon and tweak from there. Here is something that may interest you. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=17514

These are my go-to settings, they will change depending on my mood, where I'm playing, ect.
(OD)
Level 12:00 - Tone 12:00 - Gain 9:00

(Home)
Channel 3 Vintage Presence 3:00 - Bass 12:00 - Mids 9:00 - Treble 3:00 - Gain 3:00
Channel 4 Modern Presence 2:00 - Bass 12:00 - Mids 7:00 - Treble 2:00 - Gain 2:00

(Band)
Channel 3 Vintage Presence 1:00 - Bass 9:00 - Mids 1:00 - Treble 3:00 - Gain 1:00
Channel 4 Modern Presence 12:00 - Bass 9:00 - Mids 11:00 - Treble 2:00 - Gain 1:00

Welcome to the family! :D

+1 to the boost pedal. Is almost going to be a must for that tight metal sound with the recto. Welcome to the family!

+1 on the El34's and OD out front. I went with the TS808 and really like it.

I'd recommend a straight 4x12 or a Stiletto cab to Tighten it up even more. A 2x12 Recto cab is a good affordable tight cab as well.

Welcome to the fold!

thanks for all the input guys. im not sure if its 2 or 3 channel. ill let you guys kno tommorow nite. anyways wat cab do you guys recomend running it through? the guy im buying it form said a really good setup is a marshall 1960a or ax with 2 greenback speakers and 2 vintage 30s in an x pattern
thanks
edwin song

I am running a dual rec with a marshall 1960A cab, and it does sound good. The only thing is i just don't think that the GT-75's are the speakers for me. So i will be soon getting some cab with vintage 30's in it, haven't decided on a mesa cab or avatar cab and also debating on 2x12 or 4x12 cab.

Do you have a cabinet now or going to be buying one for it?

when i got my triple rectifier,i went to the local music store. they put me in a closed rooom with my head, 2 guitars, a Mashall 1960A, Peavey XXX, another marshall cab and a Traynor YVS412
i went with the traynor, 4x12" Celestian V30's, and it sounds uber awesome (even the guys from the music store preferred it, even being $600 cheaper than the marshalls heh)

i dont have a cab. so thats why im asking what you are running so i can try to get something quick. im thinking about the marshall 1960a
thanks
edwin song

Stay away from the marshalls, very crappy built, one of the guys on the JCF forum just got a 1936 2x12 cab from them, and it is all MDF except the baffle, very cheaply made.

Look for the older JCM800 cabs if you want the marshall, but honestly I would look around for a boogie cab, but if not go with the Avatar cabs which are very well built.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/G412%20SPECIAL.htm

xedwinx206 said:
i dont have a cab. so thats why im asking what you are running so i can try to get something quick. im thinking about the marshall 1960a
thanks
edwin song

If you want to buy Mesa... A Stiletto/Traditional 4x12 is a very nice tight cabinet. If you want loose cabinet with brutal low end, look for a Recto 4x12. If a 2x12 is what your after... A Road King 2x12 cab is sweet. Stiletto and recto cabs are great too. Now IMO if you want the best, look for a Mesa old metal grill style aka halfbacks. These are killer sounds cabs.

I have heard many good things about Avatar cabs also. You can't go wrong with them if your short on money.

thanks for the input guys. i tried out a recifier cab and a marshall 1960a cab today at guitar center. and i kind of liked the marshall better. anyone else running mesa head with marshall cab? i found a marshall 1960a on craigslist for $300 so i might go check it out. im gonna keep my options open on cabs, but i like the marshall cab more than the rectifier just personal preferance i guess.
thanks again
edwin song

Once again the marshalls are made like crap, i mean take a look at the resale value, not much of one. Marshall has really gone out of there way to make the cheapest product they can latley and it shows by the fact that hardley anyone uses there newer stuff. Even in this time and day Marshall seems to be back on top, however everyone is using the older amps like the 800's.

Depending on which marshall cab and which mesa cab you played will depdn alot on advice. if you played the typical marshall 1960 loaded with 75's, then look for a mesa cabinet with C90's as they are close to the same tone Or even buy a used recto cab and load it with C75's, you can actually cheap out by just replacing the two top speakers and leaving the two bottems V30's and you will hardley hear they because the 75's are on top and pointing towards your ears.

Once again with avatar cabs you can get your choice of speakers, and 75's, or greenbacks or V30's are all choices.

By the way if you played the mesa oversized cab it is in a different ball park. Also remember, a cab in the m ix will sound alot different then a cab playing by yourself.

xedwinx206 said:
thanks for the input guys. i tried out a recifier cab and a marshall 1960a cab today at guitar center. and i kind of liked the marshall better. anyone else running mesa head with marshall cab? i found a marshall 1960a on craigslist for $300 so i might go check it out. im gonna keep my options open on cabs, but i like the marshall cab more than the rectifier just personal preferance i guess.
thanks again
edwin song

well guys picked up the head tonite everything was good, tubes have recently been replaced. its a 3 channell dual rectifier solo head for $700. i love it already now i just need to get a 4x12 cab.
thanks
edwin song

Good deal! As far as the cabinet goes i would say just go with what sounds the best to you. Just make sure you play around and try different things, nothing worse than spending money and regretting it later.

picked up a marshall 1960a 4x12 cab last night for $350 and frickin love it. i dont care what you guys say about marshalls being crappy i love the sound with my dual recto head.
thanks for helping
edwin song

Now these are older Marshall cabs I'm talking about - but the band Turmoil used a Dual Rectifier into a Marshall cab on their "The Process Of" CD in 1999. IMO, that is an absolutely brutal and tight tone they have going on. They're a hardcore band, but old school metal influenced hardcore. I had emailed with one of the guitarists a bit back and he was adamant about the recto head marshall cab combo.

Having said all of that, I have a recto 4x12 and 2x12. I sold my Marshall cab a long while back...

Yea ive tried the recto cabs but i also agree that its too much bass for what i want. I am very happy with the mesa head marshall cab combo. the marshall cab is much tighter sounding to me than the recto cabs. it is all obviously personal opinion.
thanks
edwin song

Latest posts

Back