G Major - first annoyance

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insideout

Reaction score
OK, so I'm loving the G Major with my Stiletto Ace so far. Amazingly transparent, just provides luscious clean tones and great delay/reverb for high gain. I've encountered something that is very annoying, and I'm hoping some of the other GMajor users here might be able to shed some light.

Most of the stock presets that have chorus, use the "classic" chorus. When it cycles to the top of the cycle, I get a terrible artificial distortion, and the volume drops in half, then as it cycles back down, the distortion goes away and volume swells back up. This aint right . I discovered that if I put it on "advanced" chorus, and turn "phase reverse" off, the problem goes away. Classic chorus does not have the phase reverse option, so does this mean I can never use classic??? . I suppose I'm okay with using advanced, but for now while I'm auditioning factory presets (which can't be changed) I'm stuck with this obnoxious noise at the top of the cycle. I know I have my input/output levels set correctly. I'm not clipping at all. Is there a setting I may be missing?

Thanks!!

Yep, I checked that - it came with 1.27

I just wonder if it isn't some kind of overload. I watch my meters constantly, and they never red-line, but this sounds like an overload clipping type thing. Do you have your gmajor input and output level set equal to each other, or do you run your output higher??

Never happened in mine either.
Re. setting the levels, the input and output should not be set the same.
The input should be set so you have a good input signal, and it does not hurt anything if the red bar lights up occasionally for a split second. The output should be set so that when you take you loop in and out (on the amp, not the G-Major bypass) the leve stays the same.

I have my input and output levels the same on my G-Major.

How about your channel volumes on the Ace? I keep mine at modest levels, since the Ace' effects loop is serial. You may be sending too hot of a signal to the G-Major.

I have my input set correctly so the meters read -6 to -3 most of the time when I'm playing hard on clean channel. I have my amp channels set set at 1 o'clock for clean and 9:30 for drive. Those don't seem excessive to me. The thing I thought was odd was that I had to turn loop send volume very high, and gmajor input level very high to get the meters up to -3. So I changed the input sensitivity of the gmajor to consumer which allowed me to lower my amp loop send to about 12 o'clock, and gmajor input to 12 also. This did not solve the problem so I put it back on pro.

I appreciate you guys hangin with me. Are there any other ideas? I'd love to not have to send it back. Thanks!!

never hurts to reset the unit. anytime I've run into an issue with mine I just reset it and it's all good. BTW to reset you just hold the tap button while powering on and scroll to reset or whatever it says and hit the tap button or enter again (can't remember).

insideout said:
When it cycles to the top of the cycle, I get a terrible artificial distortion, and the volume drops in half, then as it cycles back down, the distortion goes away and volume swells back up. This aint right . I discovered that if I put it on "advanced" chorus, and turn "phase reverse" off, the problem goes away.

Sounds like some kind unwanted "stereo effect" - do you use the correct output? When used in mono, you should use the left output of the G-major.

Thanks guys.

Yes, I have it in the left "mono" output. That was one of my first thoughts too 8) .

Jon, if I do a reset, will I lose all of the midi settings I put in or will it remember that stuff?

Thanks!!

Yep, I was willing to take that risk, and reset it. I went through an put my midi channels back where they needed to be and... it didn't fix the problem :evil: .

Any other suggestions? I appreciate the feedback and ideas very much!! 8)

plug your guitar in gmajor and plug gmajor(stereo) in your home stereo.Forget about the amp.
See if through your stereo the same problem remains.
If not,you are doing something wrong when using through the amp.
If yes return it and grab another one !
Easy

18&Life said:
plug your guitar in gmajor and plug gmajor(stereo) in your home stereo.Forget about the amp.
See if through your stereo the same problem remains.
If not,you are doing something wrong when using through the amp.
If yes return it and grab another one !
Easy

Well I guess I'm probably returning it. It does the same thing direct into my computer :cry: . I have 3 weeks left to return it to Musicians Friend, so I'll hang on to it for a couple more days in case someone thinks of a great idea to try.

Thanks guys!!

I would just exchange it for a new one, and resetting it doesn't clear out your presets, it resets everything BUT the presets to factory (midi control, blah blah blah).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Glydian pc editor was the first thing I setup when my gmajor arrived last week. It's been great so far. Thanks for sharing Itsik 8) 8) 8)

I appreciate all the feedback I got from you guys. Wish I could say the same about TC Electronic, and Musicians Friend. I'm sending it back and keeping my fingers crossed that the replacement will be issue free 8)

Latest posts

Back