G Force vs. G Major vs. G System???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Other than the obvious, G System has footswitch built in & PRICE.......

Has anyone here tried all of them?

Is the price difference worth it?

What are the major differences, and would the average guitarist notice them????????

American Musical Supply has all 3 of them. So....If you were going to make payments anyway, which one would you choose if you already had a Behringer Midi Pedal in your attic?

I want to add a question to this thread.

Will a G-System definitively allow for channel switching on all 3 channels on a mark IV?

I really want a G System, but it would be cheaper to get a Rocktron pedal and 2 G Majors.

My thought is:
I can run one before my amp for effects like chorus & compression, and the other in the loop of the amp for delays and reverbs.

I think for my specific needs, this would be the best.

tremayne007 said:
I want to add a question to this thread.

Will a G-System definitively allow for channel switching on all 3 channels on a mark IV?

yes, it works awesome with a mark iv, as far as the other two i havent tried them.

thanks! 2 more questions if you don't mind...

Does it add much line noise once you get all the send/loop level set well (I am sure this takes some tweaking) ?

Have you heard anyone use it to create lush synth-style patches?

I do some ambient looping to solo over from time to time with my band, and that's one thing I don't want to give up if I replace my 2101. I love the idea of replacing my current processor controller and the MarkIV controller with one box that can go in a floor board with a few additional pedals.

There is one preset, that is called "Sus4 Dream Verb" that is sort synthy, but if you could give me an example of it, I could tell you more certainly, and they update it fairly consistently so, they may include a synth effect, but as of now there is no true synth. As far as the line noise, the gate that is included in the g system clean up any extra noise (hiss and hum) really well without affecting tone, at least in my case.

I have had all three, I have the System and the Major still, the Force replaced by eventide dsp4500.

Major is better than most of the digitech and zoom types in the sub $500 ranges, not mutch to edit per effect, just a few minor adjustments, like having stomp box effects, but not bad over all for the price. The DAC's are not as good as the other more expensive models and the effects input output section is lacking in control, but if you are looking for the basics of delay, chorus, phaser, simple pitch shift, and a simple compressor you can't go wrong with it being stereo too. Best used in the effects loop (preferably a stereo setup)

G System is great and compairs sound wise with the Force however it is NOT as flexable or TWEAKABLE as the force, again like the Major it's more like having a bunch of stomp boxes however these are GREAT stomp boxes, a great buy for the fact of loop/switching and pedal controls built in one unit. Better pitch shift than the Major (smart) and a few more settings than the Major as far as contouring the sounds but still pretty simple over all. Most sounds are damned nice (except distortion)(good before amp and in the loop)

Force, HIGHLY configurable, a tweakers paradise coming from TC with mulitple controls and lush sounds. Yes it's starting to age a bit but it was so far ahead when released it still sounds GREAT today, not cheap even used and you still need a controller but if you REALLY want to dial in some tweaked sounds just for you then it's a choice before moving up to Eventide rack stuff. (best in the loop)

(just for laughs I add this)
Eventide DSP4500, SOUNDS INCREDIBLE, PAIN IN THE BUTT TO PROGRAM and control, not really a true multi-effect for a live situation like the TC group, it takes time to load each program etc so forget trying to do a quick change to your fav patch in a moment of tonal bliss. The sampler upgrade was cool but not really effective live as you have to pre-record the bits to play back. The looper section is nice if you have a use for it (I did which is why I got it) but you do need access to the front of the unit to controll it affectively during looping live situations. (also for the FX loop)
:!:
Those wanting just the Eventide effects and no looping etc the newer 1U spaced Eclipse is a great unit and relatively easy to use as much as the Force is and also has GREAT LUSH sounds. I did not change out to this but opted for the G System instead at the time, mainly for the built in loops for my stomp pedals (can't have enough of them) although I have a GCX 8 port switcher I wanted something a little closer to my stage position for some pedals and less cables up front over all

(last item, sorry for the length)
:idea:
If you have a bunch of stomp boxes and/or two amps and you are looking to or have all ready moved to rack effects just for the complexity of arranged presets you might want to get "The GIGRIG" instead (or in addition) not an effect pedal itself and not popular in America, yet, but I am helping the cause.
What it does is control stomp box effects as a loop switcher as well as amp outputs and channels. Depending on the model you can switch up to 10 pedals in ANY COMBINATION PER PRESET. (yes, one button to switch in and out combos of stomps and amps for complex sounds) with adjustable class A pre-amps per pre-set switch to control volume (easy boost for lead sounds). Easy programing via DIP switches as to what effects you want active per pre preset (and/or amp and channel). As good as it gets if you want those (ahem) "VINTAGE" pedal sounds using ACUTAL vintage pedals in a loop switch enviroment for no loss of tone when they are off.

MINT

black_midi8.jpg

I'm wondering what would be the advantage of midi over non midi. Keep in mind, I know nothing. I'm just aggravated with the effects loop on my recto preamp.

the midi 8 as the name states has midi capabilities, per preset, so if you have outboard midi gear or midi amp you can control those with the presets in the pedal in addition to the loop switching and full bypass functions.
6 effects loops (1 stereo)
512 foot controlable MiDi signals (8pre-sets x 8 banks x 8 channels).
1 Remote switche (controlling amp effects or channel selection)
2 selectable outputs (one output is isolated to remove hum!)
8 easily programmable presets, each with its own bypassable volume
control amp booster
True Bypass select to send your guitar signal direct to your amp

The pro-14 has more loops but does not have the midi as the smaller unit does, it does however have more remote controls
10 effects loops (1 stereo)
2 Remote switches (controlling amp effects and channel selection)
2 selectable outputs (one output is isolated to reduce hum!)
1 pre effect boost function
14 easily programmable presets, each with its own bypassable volume
control
Tuner out for silent on-stage tuning
True Bypass select to send your guitar signal direct to your amp

mixing the Midi 8 with another switcher such as the GCX 8 port loop switch using the Midi 8 for midi control of the GCX (so no extra midi pedal is required) also amp channel switching and of course the pedal loops in both the Midi 8 and the GCX is a mighty powerful combination thats not really too complex to configure but has many tonal capabilites with the right choice of effects and amp(s) all with a simple single button stomp per sound

midi isn't really hard, it's the interfaces of the equipment that makes it so difficult.. but he TC stuff is easy to program.. and using midi to switch presets is easy on most equipment, like simple amp channel changes.

What about this?

can the TC stuff, I'm assuming you mean TC electronics do this?

With the push of 1 button on footswitch go from distortion to clean with chours?

How would I hook that up using the amp I have? I have a parallel effects loop which I do not like to use as it saps the **** out of the tone.

I assume you have a Recto of some sort? I like my G-Major alot. If you're playing live you don't need anything nicer. I use mine to switch the channels on my Lonestar, but none of the other features (Reverb and solo) as I don't need them. I decided to run the G-Major in the loop and use an Axess GRX4 to loop my pedals in front. It's a functional and robust setup that sounds great.

If you have a recto with a parallel loop I'd get it modded so it's serial and run the G-Major in the loop. You don't need the Solo boost anymore as the G-Major will do that for you.

Is the solo boost on the newer G Majors adjustable?

I seem to remember (could be wrong though) that the solo on the older versions was 6db and was not adjustable. Sometimes that is too much.

is the g system worth it? at that price is there better options from other companies? the appeal of the system is that all inclusive type deal but is that worth the hundreds over the system or force?

Latest posts

Back