Freakin' 5:50 handle..DAH!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbf

Reaction score
Has anyone else's hand gotten slashed due to the rubber coming off the handle of a 5:50? Sheesh! I need to either wrap it in some leather or replace it altogether. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Yup, somebody at Mesa bought some horrible handles that are really soft and pliable rubber, but have zero roadability. The rubber splits on the side and the steel reinforcement within the rubber does its damage.
Get a Fender handle. The rubber is the stiffer variety, they're the same size and all, so should be a direct replacement.
Here's one ($5) without the hardware, which you've already got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Black-Rubber-Steel-Vintage-Amp-Handle-Strap-/310212942668?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483a21db4c#ht_500wt_1154

Good luck!

My handle's been good. I just took a look at it and it appears to be fine. I'll keep an eye on it.

I just worked on a Marshall DSL 401 for a friend (what a POS!). The handle was shot and is now mostly made of tape! I had to wrap it with a rag because it was so uncomfortable.

MrMark III - Thanks for the link... :wink:
I'm still new to these since I just got my Express in stellar shape.
So, no direct handle concerns to speak of.

But for > $5 with shipping, I ordered a replacement anyway.
I'll compare the two.
(Since Fenders are usually so heavy, gotta believe the replacement will more robust)
Simple install or just save it for later.
Cheap insurance either way.

Don said:
soundchaser59 said:
MrMarkIII said:
.....but have zero roadability.
It is aimed at the stay-at-home consumer player.

That would be a waste!

I'm not a touring musician but do drag the 5:50 around quite a bit. It's very sturdy....save for the handle. :)

You know, we shouldn't take offense to Soundchaser59's comment.
If you view say the Mark V or Heartbreaker handle with other Mesa offerings.
I think all that was being said was he pointing out the difference.

I always liked Boogies for their portable power.

That said, I still don't mind upgrading.

I'm not offended. I think he's right. The Express series amps were probably aimed towards amateur to semi-pro musicians. I just think that they sound so good that it would be a shame to have it never leave the house.

One of the things I've enjoyed about being a member of this forum is the level of civility shown to fellow members. :) Awesome!!

Just call mesa and ask for a new handle. FWIW the handle falls apart on Marks too. Mesa will ship you a replacement for a few bucks or free if it's under warranty. I've orderd a couple over the years.

GD_NC said:
Just call mesa and ask for a new handle. FWIW the handle falls apart on Marks too. Mesa will ship you a replacement for a few bucks or free if it's under warranty. I've orderd a couple over the years.

I took your advice and called Mesa. We're playing a little phone tag but I'll ask for a free replacement. It's under warranty and I did register the amp. Thanks!!!

Here we have these amps with wonderful customer service and it never dawned on most of us to give them a call! :lol:

GD_NC said:

I would have no doubt Mesa would honor a replacement since they have such an excellent support team.

I guess it's worth it to me to look into another replacement over re-installing one destined to fail.
Saw this on ebay which I suspect the Express handle would be the same. :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-F-50-F50-Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier-Amp-/230474054260?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a952fa74

Again mine is fine. My brand loyalty centers around their engineering and not their accessories.
Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm out the cost of a few latte's.

Just as you gentlemen suggested, I called Mesa and they're sending a new one under warranty. Thanks again!!!!

Don said:
I just think that they sound so good that it would be a shame to have it never leave the house.

Very true. If a guy pampers the thing and handles it and moves it himself, transport it in the car instead of in the trailer with no shock absorbers, etc.etc.etc....... then it will hold up very nicely.

If Ozzie's road crew takes over, I dont know if the Express will hold up to that.

But the tone is truly good enough to be on any stage anywhere any time.....

Do you really think they're made that poorly? I've looked inside only a few other Boogie's and haven't seen a huge difference in build quality.

It's certainly built much better than a compratively price Fender or Marshall.

Hey Don - All we're discussing is the feable quality of the carry handle and best means to resolve the issue. Other than this, I expect we would all marvel at Mesa's build quality.

I just rec'd the alternative replacement today and clearly there is a quality difference.

By comparison, Mesa's metal sleeve gauge is noticably thinner and the rubber is extremely soft as noted before.
In fact, my rubber (handle :wink: ) was broken under the retaining buckle in spite of it's mild trans port and well cared for use.

The bad news is the fender replacement is just a tad too short without any modification. :(
No matter, I'll get a replacement handle under warranty from Mesa and at least double sleeve it using both my original and the replacement Mesa metal.
I'll probably then use the handle from the Fender replacement. Looks to be enough rubber there without the risk of tearing.
If that doesn't work, I'll resolve to double sleeve the replacement Mesa handle.

I guess the parting point would be to keep a watchful eye on these and don't depend on them too heavily.
All this aside, it's the tones of these babies we all covet anyway...

Latest posts

Back