Freak i need an ED cab!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ED 2X12 comes stock with v30's FYI. i guess u could always swap them out for c90's. mine finally arrived today after 2.5 months of waiting and i am dying to try it out. hopefully it sounds good. the open back will give it a more open big sound compared to a closed back stiletto cab. should be similar though...

Yeah, I saw that it comes with V30's but I would probably swap them out for C90's to keep some variety and run it along side my Stiletto 4X12. Let us know how it sounds and if there is a significant difference between the two. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out! :D I fantasized about an Electra dyne cab months ago, and bam! here they are! :eek:

swampdawg said:
So THAT'S where my head and cabinet are!

I ordered an ED head/cab 2x12 4 months ago... still no sign of it. At least this proves they still make them, I was beginning to wonder.

Some day it'll come in... :roll:

I forget now how long I had to wait for mine, but it was a few weeks longer than what I was told. It will be worth the wait.

It appears that most people that bought the 2 X 12 combo received V30's. My 2 X 12 combo has 2 C90's. I have a 2 X 12 cab on order and it is supposed to be here around the 4th of July. I'm assuming it will have V30's installed but I'm not sure. I hope it does so I can see what the mixture will sound like. I also have two Eminence speakers (1 Wizard & 1 Canibus Rex). I may experiment with these as well to see what sounds best to my ear.

I am also considering purchasing an ED head at some point to pair with the cab, but first I have an ES-335 I have to pay off.

ryjan said:
I wish mesa would get of their V30 kick already. Evm12l's are available again.
I asked about that as soon as the EVM-12L Classic was available. I was told that they (MESA) had a few that they were testing. If they (MESA and EV) could come to an agreement on a contract, I would love it. :D

Some people were talking about running greenbacks in a 4 x 12 for an even warmer sound. That is something that might be worth trying, depending what people go for. I tried the 1 x 12 with the c90 and the tone was very dark. I liked it but the warm crunch of a stiletto 4 x 12 is closer to my tastes. You guys might be able to look up the EV thiele plans and build a thiele 2 x 12 with a c90 in one side and a v90 in the other. This is an incredibly warm and big sounding cab. Almost like a 4 x 12 in a 2 x 12 box. Almost . . .

Hey Guys:
I noticed that there seems to be some confusion about whether the 2 X 12 Electradyne cabinet uses 2 V30's or 1 C90 and 1 V30. Unfortunately I can't clear it up...but I felt the need to correct a false assumption.

Someone figured that since the cabinet was rated for 120 watts...it therefore MUST contain 2 60-watt V30's. This is NOT necessarily the case at all. Anytime you put 2 different speakers in a cabinet (with different wattage capacities) the usable wattage rating of the cabinet will ALWAYS be twice the wattage rating of the LOWEST capacity speaker.

So, a 60-watt V30 and a 90-watt C90 paired in a cabinet would give you a cabinet with a 120-watt capacity.

BTW: I have experimented with the V30/C90 2 x12 mix with both the Lonestar and the Stiletto (poor me...I haven't an Electradyne) and the se 2 speakers paired in a cabinet sound very good together in these 2 amps.

Charles

I sadly don't have an Electra Dyne either. When I have $$$s for another guitar amp it will be the first one I get.

Cabs: For whatever reason, Randall Smith really prefers a dark sounding speaker enclosure / combination for his amps. I much prefer something very warm. In my opinion, a marshall 1960ax 4 x 12 loaded with UK greenbacks or G12m Heritage speakers would be the perfect companion for the 'Dyne. Much warmer and woody with speaker breakup and lower efficiency to suck some of that incredible horsepower coming out of the ED. I seriously can't believe how loud that amp is! I also like combining speakers but I've always wanted a greenback 4 x 12 so as soon as I have space for one . . . (Probably when school is over and my wife and I actually have a house)

So.... Has anyone had anymore experience with an ED cab? I'm really interested to see how it sounds in comparison to other cabs, specifically other Mesa cabs.

Ive compared my ED 212 cab w/v30s to a marshall 412 with greenbacks, and a recto 212 cab w/ v30s

to me the marshall sounds better for overdrive tones, cleans suffered. the recto 212 had way too much low end and was scooped sounding. cleans were good though. now on the ED 212 the cleans are beautiful, even with the v30s. the cab has a more midrangey voicing, is warmer sounding, and is a perfect balance for the ED head.

theweatherman said:
Ive compared my ED 212 cab w/v30s to a marshall 412 with greenbacks, and a recto 212 cab w/ v30s

to me the marshall sounds better for overdrive tones, cleans suffered. the recto 212 had way too much low end and was scooped sounding. cleans were good though. now on the ED 212 the cleans are beautiful, even with the v30s. the cab has a more midrangey voicing, is warmer sounding, and is a perfect balance for the ED head.

I agree with you on the Marshall cab.
I agree with you on the v30s.
I haven't tried a Mesa recto cab, but I'm totally happy with the
tone I'm getting now.

Is there a major construction difference between the construction of the Recto 212 and the Electra Dyne 212? (with the exception of the 3/4 back?) Once I purchase a 212 it will instantly be going in a road case, is it worth it to buy the ED 212 cab new or just buy a used recto cab when it's enclosed like that? I tend to use mainly overdrive tones and the cleans on occasion, so the Marshall is tempting me. The more I hear comparisons of V30 speakers to some Eminence models the less I like them... V30's are just always what I've used because they came stock in the Mesa cabs. Maybe I should venture out and try other speakers...

So this is an old thread. Anyway, here's my two cents:

1) Regarding the cab in a road case, you could always have the road case made so that the front and back can be removed. That way an open-back cab stays open-back when you plug in.

2) Regarding speakers, I tend to like C90s more than V30s. Just my opinion.

theweatherman said:

I see that you sold your 2x12 on Ebay. Sticking with the marshall?

Latest posts

Back