Found telefunken ECC 803S with gold pins in my stuff

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannedheat77

Reaction score
I did a search on Google and one tube seller was selling NOS version of this tube for $600 :shock: , could a used one fetch any decent cash. I am looking to tweak the tubes in my New LSS, I may do better with a handful of 12ax7's that are less expensive and part with this one tube.

Yea it may be worth something but on the other hand you would need to have it tested in order to find out if there is much life left or any other existing issues with it. People would have a hard time dropping major cash on an untested tube.

I tried it in my amp, it sounds sort of dead compared to the originals, not a good sign. I'll take it to my amp guy and see if he can test it, but I think it's time has passed.

An amp is a much better test than a tube tester.If it sounds dead in your amp,it most likely is.A tester uses voltage/current much lower than the tube sees in an amp,it may test good in a tester but when put in an amp at full voltage/current,it aint.

I'd sell it and be frankly honest in your description...you could say it passes signal weakly and would be more applicable as a display tube. Have seen a few different non working tubes sold for display only on ebay, no crime if the description is honest.

Stokes is right about the amp being a better tester than a tube tester, but having it run through a tester would pinpoint whether one triode was weak or the whole tube was used up, that is a 10,000 hour rated tube...and yes, NOS NIB TFK ecc803s go for amazingly snobbish prices. They were going for 250-ish on ebay just two years ago.

I did some experimenting with this tube, since it didn't do much for me in V1 I tried it in V2- not much better. Then I tried in in V5- holy cow :D - the amp came alive- much more detail and responsive without becoming harsh, I also suspect that I will gain some headroom. I will do the high volume test after work on Monday before my wife gets home. While running channel 2 with the drive on I got the serious singing lead tone :twisted:.

I also have a Telefunken ECC83 that seams to be in perfect working order that sounds real good in V1. The overall tonal difference is akin to having the amp in a closet with the door cracked open and moving it into the middle of the room.

What amp are you using it in?If it sounded dead in V1,and it is increasing volume in V5,I have to wonder if the tube originally in V5 is a 12AT7.Assuming V5 is the PI,is it possible that your old one is weaker than the 803?The reason I ask is that V1 is the first stage and what goes into it has the most affect on your output.If it sounds dead there,its odd that it increased so much in V5.

Glad to hear of your good luck in v5...I also find that increase in volume and detail interesting. Stokes' questions are intriguing, especially regarding the old v5 tube being an at7 or a weaker ax7...good logic there.

Vintage Tesla e83cc white print are basically the same tube made on the same tooling as the TFK ecc803s at a later date, more affordable by far, but still a bit spendy. I have seen and own Tesla VOS/NOS ecc803s yellow print identical as well, however there is a fakie version going around of the Tesla ecc803s, there is only one getter support at the top of the a-frame instead of two , the print is a slightly different shade of yellow, you can't see through the gap between the plates like the real ones, and the fakies often come in red black and white boxes, the real ones tend to come in yellow blue and white boxes. I have both. The fakies don't sound as good.

I double checked the tube and it is a 803, I am running it is a Lonestar Special which has a 12ax7 in V5. I wonder if the tube is on it's way out and its output has dropped so it does not act like a 12ax7 anymore.

stokes said:
If it sounds dead there,its odd that it increased so much in V5.
I think you've mis-interpreted what he reported. Let's see...

cannedheat77 said:
I tried in in V5- holy cow :D - the amp came alive- much more detail and responsive without becoming harsh, I also suspect that I will gain some headroom.
It seems you've found the right place for this tube. In my experience, a decrease in mu at the phase-inverter can result in greater detail (less clipping) and sound like there is more clean headroom. I recommend you hold on to that tube, and use it in V5. It wouldn't be what potential buyers would expect, and it seems to delight you - so why not?

I've got a '40s Ken-Rad 12AT7 that tests unusably poor (below 50 on B&K 707 tester), but it is the best sounding phase-inverter tube for my Richter 5E7+ (tweed Bandmaster-inspired). I've tried probably 40 other NOS variations of 12AT7 and other 12A_7 types, and none has the magic. I can only explain it by the diminished output of a worn-out tube.

Enjoy your find!!

- Thom

Latest posts

Back