For low volumes, Mark III or Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this thread and am really suprised that more of the mark IV owners are not complimenting the amp for it's low volume tone. Yes, It sounds unreal at high volumes, but I do a lot of late night jamming and get great tones out of all 3 channels. I think the key is to really push the preamp sections, around 5 and adjust the output to taste. I always liked to push the preamp section of the amp anyway, Mesa tubes are pretty tough and they last a long time. The output master is pretty sensitive on my amp and can be a little tricky to get that "speech" volume but once I do I can jam for hours at that volume. Very pleasent.

Tweed
Triode
Class A
Harmonic

mrd said:
Might wanna check out a tiny terror, you can run that at 7 or 15 watts, that thing sounds pretty killer for it's price. Even if it's not cranked, it sounds pretty decent. Good for recording too.

+1 the Tiny Terror is a bad little machine and does sound decent at conversation level.

Geez If you've always wanted a Boogie, you've always wanted a Boogie! So look for a MK4 on Ebay get a good deal and don't worry about "5 months in the classifieds" if you don't like it. You'll get your money back on Ebay if you don't overpay to begin with. I mean look at the Boogie lovers you have responding right here. You won't get stuck with it.

Retu said:
Hi,

today I tried out Mark IIC+ and Mark III SC Blue stripe with GEQ at my local shop. To my surprise, Mark III sounded better at lower volumes (using class A) than IIC+. The IIC+ didn't have GEQ, though. I think the Mark III sounded quite brutal compared to IIC+.

I haven't had a chance to play Mark IV, so I'm asking (again..) your opinions about the following:

I want a thick and smooth distortion with good sustain at low volumes, which one would you think would be better for low (that's bedroom) volume playing: Mark III or IV?

MkIII SC Blue-stripe owner here. Mine is fully loaded (GEQ, Rev., Fan, etc.) and it must be one of the rare ones because it delivers great tone at any volume. Love it to death! Sure, pumped loud through a good 4x12 is new information, but the man won't allow me to do 150mph on the freeway everyday, so....

If you get a MkIII I suggest you get it fully loaded, and if that ain't enough, drop the extra dough for hardwood and wicker! Looks soooo good next to the bed!

I play my Mark III at bedroom volumes all the time and it sounds great for me, I even play through a 4x12.

Mark IV is the best amp I've tried at low volume. When you run it in Tweed, Class A, Triode and Mid Gain it sounds great at really low volumes.

The trick is to do different setups for different volumes with this amp, it's like that with all amps I've tried but it's very important on the Mark IV that you tweak it "right" for the volume you're going to play at.

I didn't even bother playing my Mark III unless I could turn the master up to at least 2. This is still pretty loud, louder than bedroom playing. The amp still didn't completely shine until the master got to about 2.5-3 though. I'd suggest you get a Mark IV because of the switchable power sections and all.

I have a 2007 6 month old mark IV medium head and recto 2x12 in minty condition if anyone is interested

trickyrick said:
I've been following this thread and am really suprised that more of the mark IV owners are not complimenting the amp for it's low volume tone. Yes, It sounds unreal at high volumes, but I do a lot of late night jamming and get great tones out of all 3 channels. I think the key is to really push the preamp sections, around 5 and adjust the output to taste. I always liked to push the preamp section of the amp anyway, Mesa tubes are pretty tough and they last a long time. The output master is pretty sensitive on my amp and can be a little tricky to get that "speech" volume but once I do I can jam for hours at that volume. Very pleasent.

Tweed
Triode
Class A
Harmonic

I'm continually amazed at the tones I can get from the Mark IV at ridiculously low volumes, in either Tweed or Full power, always Simul with 4 6L6's. Someone once said the Mark IV is the world's greatest practice amp...

When it's late my lead channel is at 1.25 and my master output just before the 2. It still sounds great at these kind of low volumes but it's obviously way better when it's dialed in higher. I'd go with a MK IV but you won't unleash it's true power if you always play at bedroom levels.

New Mark III Red Stripe owner here. Check my profile for recent posts with pics. I'm getting excellent high gain tones at very low apartment levels. I read the manual, and the instructions on adjusting the levels to taste is the key to good tone at low volume.

So, I got my Mark IV compact combo and it sounds very good at low volumes, although I even use simulclass, pentode, full power.

You just have to be very careful with the channel and master volumes.

I don't even think that it is hard to find excellent tones from this amp. The amount of different options in this amp is so vast that you can always think that "maybe there is even better tone hiding somewhere". In the amps with less switches etc. there is no such kind of "problem".

....and I think this definetely sounds better than Micro Cube..... :wink:

Retu said:
So, I got my Mark IV compact combo and it sounds very good at low volumes, although I even use simulclass, pentode, full power . . . I don't even think that it is hard to find excellent tones from this amp . . . and I think this definetely sounds better than MicroCube.
Agreed! I guess I'll chime in here (even though I haven't yet played a Mark III). I just got my Mark IV rackmount head specifically for home recording, and I do all of my recording really late at night. And, yes, I'm amazed at how good it records and sounds at late-night volumes (by the way, the Rectos also sound great a low volumes). The best sound, IMO, is also harmonics on, pentode mode, full-power, everything pulled. With the amp maxed out this way, it sounds better than tweed at low volumes, IMO.

I also don't seem to have any problem finding tons of dialed-in sounds. This amp is really fun play around with, and I think it's the perfect recording amp. Plus, it does "teh br00talz," just about any way you like it. I read a number of negative comments about this amp before I bought it, and to me, the Mark IV combos did sound a little flat and boxey at the store. As a result, I was very tentative prior to my purchase.

But once you get this thing home, it's a whole different story. Have no doubts—this amp is everything it's cracked up to be. I can't think of anything bad to say about this amp. Although I do much prefer a head to a combo, and wasn't too impressed with the 1x12 C-90. But, accept no substitute—the Mark IV is the ****. It's not the only amp I'll ever own or want, but it's the funnest amp I've ever played, and certainly, as many others have said here, it's now my number one, go-to amp.

Retu said:
So, I got my Mark IV compact combo and it sounds very good at low volumes, although I even use simulclass, pentode, full power.

You just have to be very careful with the channel and master volumes.

I don't even think that it is hard to find excellent tones from this amp. The amount of different options in this amp is so vast that you can always think that "maybe there is even better tone hiding somewhere". In the amps with less switches etc. there is no such kind of "problem".

....and I think this definetely sounds better than Micro Cube..... :wink:

Retu, Good For You its your money, do what you want with it. I use a Weber Mass with my rectifier. If you keep this amp you might want to try one of these in the long term. They work great. I can go from gig level all the way down to bedroom level and never touch an amp. Have fun with the Mark IV, Ive wanted one for a couple of years, just havent found the right deal.

Latest posts

Back