For all you Mark III folks who wonder about the reverb...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogiebabies

Reaction score
It's not the reverb circuit that causes the weakness. The Lead Master reduces the huge increase in gain to prevent the lead signal from over loading the reverb. The reverb is placed after this, but before the master volume. You may notice a larger amount of reverb with higher Master Volume settings in Clean and R2. These circuit do not have to deal with the Lead Master. Try running your Master Volume higher and lowering your lead master to a minimum and see if you notice an increase in reverb. The only problem is, once you switch to clean or R2, your master volume is at 4 and is seriously loud. I personally feel there is no perfect balance of clean and overdrive reverbs in Boogies. The MK IV is pretty good because it allows you three seperate channel volumes, but it's still not perfect due to the drive settings. I would say if it's the only complaint, it's one hell of an amp to begin with. The "R" mod on MK III's provides enough impact to increase the overall reverb, but you still have to think about dirty cables, oxidation and sticky springs covered in glue when the foam degrades.

I still prefer Boogie's analog over anything digital. It adds a bit of brightness and a touch of gain. I usually leave it on all the time.

You would be surprised what clean spring can do. On of my IIC's had the weakest verb. I took the can out and the spring were gummy. I used an orange based cleaner to get the goo off and I swear it sounds like Dick Dale on smack now.

I actually like my mark III's reverb. it works well at moderate settings to fatten the tone just slightly. and I DON"T have the reverb mod. but I kinda like that the reverb isnt overpowering at like 3

Schmoog said:
I actually like my mark III's reverb. it works well at moderate settings to fatten the tone just slightly. and I DON"T have the reverb mod. but I kinda like that the reverb isnt overpowering at like 3

WELL ISN"T THAT SPECIAL !!!!!

I DO HAVE THE REVERB MOD AND IT'S NOT OVERPOWERING AT 3
EITHER.

There's no need to shout.

Schmoog said:
I actually like my mark III's reverb.
Me too I actually use a delay pedal with it and they work very well together to my ears it just sound very good.

I must be one of the weird ones. I'm actually very happy with the MkIII reverb. My reverb level is set on 6 on both the blue and green stripe. My little pea brain thinks it's cool as hell to be able to footswitch back and forth between a higher and lower reverb level. The higher reverb level sounds great on slow songs and jazz. The lower level offered by the footswitch is barely there and works well for everything else. Guess I'm just a MkIII fan. Even with the complaints you may read about the verb and R2 sound the MkIII is still the best amp I've ever owned which includes a MkIV and Matchless.

Boogiebabies said:
It's not the reverb circuit that causes the weakness. The Lead Master reduces the huge increase in gain to prevent the lead signal from over loading the reverb. The reverb is placed after this, but before the master volume. You may notice a larger amount of reverb with higher Master Volume settings in Clean and R2. These circuit do not have to deal with the Lead Master. Try running your Master Volume higher and lowering your lead master to a minimum and see if you notice an increase in reverb. The only problem is, once you switch to clean or R2, your master volume is at 4 and is seriously loud. I personally feel there is no perfect balance of clean and overdrive reverbs in Boogies. The MK IV is pretty good because it allows you three seperate channel volumes, but it's still not perfect due to the drive settings. I would say if it's the only complaint, it's one hell of an amp to begin with. The "R" mod on MK III's provides enough impact to increase the overall reverb, but you still have to think about dirty cables, oxidation and sticky springs covered in glue when the foam degrades.

My mk III has a R "mb" written right near the power cord..
What is that..?

Latest posts

Back