Five band EQ in loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryswanson

Reaction score
So I tried something today that I have never thought would be worth trying. But I was very wrong. I put my Mesa five band eq in the loop of my Mark V with its EQ also on, channel three, Mark iv mode. I dialed in a V curve on the pedal for the hell of it and hit it the button. Holy **** man instant Black album tone. Made my Mark V move more air than my dual recto! Anyway give it a go you will be very surprised.

Had the same result (at bedroom volume anyhoo ) with the GT8 in 4cm using its eq in the loop. Could get some awesome black album tones and master of puppets. Shame couldn't get it to sound nice at full band volume. Forget his name but someone in the official tones thread had deciphered flemming's notes to get pretty much spot on for master of puppets etc. That amp has so much mid range its amazing how much you can cut out and still sound fairly present in a full mix.

I love mids. I'm not using a v shape on the MXR though; I just boost it at 125Hz to get a bigger low end with my 2x12 and boost 4KHz to give my sound "teeth". Just those two tweaks make a massive difference in getting a "big" sound. Sometimes I'll scoop 1KHz a tiny bit but usually only for 1 guitar (has the EMG ZW 81-85 set, super aggressive mid range on those). My rythym tone is usually somewhere in the vein of ozzy-era Jake E. Lee, but with humbuckers and a little more low end dialed in. For leads I have an early Zakk Wylde kind of lead sound (No Rest For the Wicked) I do with 2c+ mode. Plenty of mids. I ditched the V-30's in the 2x12 recto cab because they were too scooped sounding, if you can believe that. I know there are endless examples of great tones coming from those, but I have never played one that I liked. Harsh highs and something just is t there in the mids, for me anyways.

elvis said:
Wow you guys really hate mids :shock:

I believe it's more of a question that the V has more than enough of them to spare...I've heard people complain that the V is too 'middy' even after they've scooped the mids with the GEQ.

Different strokes for different people, I guess. I'm perfectly happy with the sounds I'm getting from my V without an extra EQ pedal or extreme scooping on the GEQ.

Going in the opposite direction here but I had a play with IIC+ mode and EQ off and man that's some serious touch responsiveness going on there!

I find the mid frequencies on the mark V, funny sounding. I love mids. For close on 15 years now I've eq'd my Marshalls by bringing the bass and treble up to match the mids which are maxed.
But on my mark V, I find the centre slider doesn't need much scooping. The 240hz and 2200hz sliders though... I have to play around with them a lot. Both are usually a hair above of below the 240hz. I find the treble very aggressive. I think it may be as much to do with my love/hate of the C90 speaker.

Latest posts

Back