First post, questions about RKIIs and Tremoverb Dual Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevilDog48

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First post here. Wanted to say hi. I have been playing guitar since I was 12 (1996), but am just getting back into it after a 2 year hiatus.

I have decided that this time around, Im going save my hard earned dollars wrenching on cars and buy an amp from the best amp manufacturer out there!

I have decided that my choice for myself is between two Mesa's, one that's in production, and one that isnt. The one that is in production is the Dual Recto Roadking II, and the other one that isnt is the Dual Rector Tremoverb.

When I was a weee pup walking wide eyed through Guitar Center, I got a chance to butcher a few Metallica songs through the Tremoverb and discovered that the Tremoverb had the EXACT distortion channel that I was looking for. I have yet to find an amp that has reproduced that tone!

It is certainly possible that time has altered the tone that I heard in my head, and that is why I am considering the Roadking II. If the amp is as advertised, then it should reproduce the Tremoverb tone.

I guess what I am asking is that if people have played both amps that I am talking about, could I have your feedback on how the two amps compare tonewise on the high gain channels? Even though the Roadking is a tad on the expensive side (2500 alone for the head) it seems as if its worth more than its weight in gold, at least as far as amplifier versatility goes!

Thanks to everyone in advance for their advice/opinions!

i would say read all the other posts about these two heads. there have been a few lately comparing the two.

but what really matters is your ear. go play an RK II and see if you like the sound. there aren't many (if any) amps that get more versatile than it. and see if you can find anyone with a tremoverb that would let you try it too so you could compare them.

The RKII is very versatile.. I have one which I play through a 4x12 cab and the variety of tones that it can produce is truly astounding. You can do glassy cleans, British tones, great rock tones, balls to the wall metal tones, and everything in between. Run an OD pedal in front of it to tighten it up a bit. It responds very nicely to playing dynamics, as well, which is something I love about it. You can turn your guitar volume down to half way or 2/3 and it sits right on the point of breakup.. sounds killer.

vintage section sniper...

devildog, ever played a Mark IV? if not, you should definitely check it out. if you like Metallica distortion tones and great flexibility, don't overlook it.

and i'll post it for the 50,000th time on this forum...

check out this guy Zorran's clips with his Mark IV

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=147856

especially "Down Again Clip" and "Surrounded"

you can hear how heavy the Mark IV gets while still retaining clarity and tightness

+1 to eltrain858. That Zorran is sick! Makes me want a Mark IV!

Also check out the clip below. It's a MarkIII

http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12472

You can see how close he comes to those Metallica tones. I got into Mesa because I thought Metallica was using Dual or Triple Rec's. Go figure.

So now I have a Single Rectifier and love it but don't want to purchase anything else until I test drive any of the Mark Series, Roadster, or Road King.

Mesa's, as I'm finding are a very organic amp. Settings/Tube combinations really make a difference to your sound. What works for one may not suit you. Take the time to download and read the manuals for everything you would like to try out. That way you can set the amp up as Mesa suggests and then adjust it to your liking. This will save you time in a guitar store.

Good luck!

yeah metallica used Mark IV's, the tremoverbs have more upper mid's like the Mark IV's, but still not a Mark IV.

As to the roadking, it sits somewhere in the middle of the Dual Rec and the tremoverb, not as much upper mid's, but more then the dual.

Latest posts

Back