Finally settling into disappointment with the Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twostring

Reaction score
Finally settling into disappointment with the Roadster

So after a couple of months, I'm noticing a few points about the Roadster I'm not liking.

First, contrary to the typical heavy bass characters I would associate with rectififers, this amp is directly opposite. I've never had a problem with boomy bass, rather I have a problem with high end. I am now hearing a harsh edge on everything, even the cleans. Dial down the treble and presence a bit and it's gone, but it now sounds like the amp has a blanket over it.

Second, the modern channel isn't very usable because of the harshness stated above and the power tubes don't really break up in a pleasing manner. Once I hit the level where power tube distortion would begin, I start hearing major compression on the mids...almost like there is a mid boost at a certain volume level. Not that I don't like mids, but there shouldn't be this much midrange variance in volume levels. In my experience, you usually need to boost mids once a certain volume level is reached, but once I hit that level, I can't dial them back no matter what I do...drop the mid control to 0 and that characteristic is still there.

Third, I'm hanging out on channels 2 and 3 the most...I'm not enjoying the crunch tones and the modern settings on channels 3 and 4 just don't seem to like me. I used to set up rigs for guitarists and I have experience as a guitar tech, but I can't get this amp to play nice.

So here's my problem. I'm feeling that the Roadster just doesn't have what I'm looking for. The tones I'm looking for go like this...

Cleans - Eric Johnson sparkle tones. I want pristine here, but I also want to be able to get fatter, more even cleans without all the high end (think Petrucci's clean tones).

Clean drive tones - Andy Timmons all the way. I can get that bouncy, compressed clean drive tone from my Fender HRD, but I don't want to have to carry two amps around with me, and I'm also looking to sell the HRD because I need the money and I need the space in my house. This tonal range should also be able to cover SRV type stuff (I usually run my amps with a tube screamer or two, but in my tone descriptions above, I'm not counting the TS in those examples because those tones were dialed in without any effects).

Vintage grind tones - I'm looking for a decent crunch tone...Satriani's rhythm tone is a good example.

High gain/lead - looking for Satch/Petrucci tones here, with the ability to do heavy rhythm stuff like Petrucci and Tremonti.

So there's the breakdown. I'm afraid I will not be able to find an amp that can cover that kind of range. I'd rather have the cleans/mid gain stuff over the high gain tones. Right now I'm split between the Mark IV and the Lonestar. Can the Mark IV perform on the cleans and mid gain stuff and sound as sweet as the Lonestar?

Your best bet with your requirements is a Mark IV but you cannot expect one amp to do everything (which I'm sure you know)... which is the trap I see a lot of people fall into with the Roadster/Road King amplifiers.

Mark IV will give you awesome Fenderish cleans, pleasent sweet midbreakup and face melting distortion all in the same box. I suggest going to play one to make sure it's the right amp for you.

You're certainly not alone in thinking the Rectos are overly harsh, have sonic characterisics that cannot be dialed out and have rather unusable EQ choices. Luckily for you there is a huge demand for the Roadster so you shouldn't have a problem offing it if that's what you choose.

</0.02>

After a few months of use of a Roadster head, and for the same reasons, I exchanged it for Stiletto ACE. WOW, there I find a simple amplifier, 2 channels, who covers the whole pallet of clean too heavey and which sounds the hell. I am very happy of this change. Try it.

I had the Lonestar Series 112 Combos and loved the cleans, but the overdrives left me wanting more than just blues/roots type tones. I tried the F-100 212 Combo, and it was cool, but not the answer for me. Now, I have the Stiletto Ace 112 Combo and absolutely love it. This amp does everything I need.

Platypus said:
Your best bet with your requirements is a Mark IV but you cannot expect one amp to do everything (which I'm sure you know)... which is the trap I see a lot of people fall into with the Roadster/Road King amplifiers.

Mark IV will give you awesome Fenderish cleans, pleasent sweet midbreakup and face melting distortion all in the same box. I suggest going to play one to make sure it's the right amp for you.

You're certainly not alone in thinking the Rectos are overly harsh, have sonic characterisics that cannot be dialed out and have rather unusable EQ choices. Luckily for you there is a huge demand for the Roadster so you shouldn't have a problem offing it if that's what you choose.

</0.02>

+1

Platypus said:

</0.02>

Indeed. I happen to know exactly what you're talking about...I play a huge variety of music and need vastly different tones. That's the downfall of versatility is that it never does any single tone 100% perfect. I'm hoping to be able to get out and try a Mark IV soon.

And about the harshness...it's easily spotted in other rectifier models, but that harshness seemed to be resolved in the Roadster. After a few months, there it is...go figure.

Mesa amps do what they do. You'll never get Satriani/EJ AND Petrucci tones at of any one given rig. Im sure that is not news to anyone whatsoever. I challenge you to forget about other artists and find your own sound with your gear. I am sure this is not an original thought either but I myself get so caught up in sounding like this or that ......I soon realize that I sound like me.

In played a show this weekend and my tubes were really hot and the sound was just great on stage. The band had another guitar they know get up and play a song with them. When I was off stage I realized that my rig sounded like a muddy mess through the mains. I asked the sound tech about it and he said " amp cuts through when you play it........"

Sometimes you have to beat the tones out of an amp....sometimes you don't.

stompboxfreak72 said:
Mesa amps do what they do. You'll never get Satriani/EJ AND Petrucci tones at of any one given rig. Im sure that is not news to anyone whatsoever. I challenge you to forget about other artists and find your own sound with your gear. I am sure this is not an original thought either but I myself get so caught up in sounding like this or that ......I soon realize that I sound like me.

In played a show this weekend and my tubes were really hot and the sound was just great on stage. The band had another guitar they know get up and play a song with them. When I was off stage I realized that my rig sounded like a muddy mess through the mains. I asked the sound tech about it and he said " amp cuts through when you play it........"

Sometimes you have to beat the tones out of an amp....sometimes you don't.

Yeah, I understand that. I'm not looking for dead on rip off tones of those guys, but when describing tone, I can't say "I want a tone like I heard in my head when I played that PRS through the Marshall three years ago, but I want it to be different in these ways." It's just difficult to convey those kinds of abstract thoughts. By saying that I'm looking for an Andy Timmons tone, I really mean that his tone is the closest thing to what I hear in my head. If I can find an amp that gets close, then I can take over and find exactly what I want to hear...hope that clears things up.

I've got a great bouncy jangly Timmons like tone out of my Fender HRD, but I'm looking to replicate that in another amp, and I don't really think you'd get it if I told you I want to find an amp that sounds like me :D

hey 2string .. sorry to read that it isnt gettin it done for ya .. which cab are you using? .. what guitar/pickups/effects?

i gotta say, if i only played one guitar, i am not sure i'd dig the roadster as much as i do .. but for me, in a cover band, i have an H-H guitar and an EJ strat .. i have 2 channels dedicated for strat and 2 for the H-H and am pretty happy, even though i am not 'there' yet for my tones ... i have the cleans and the crucnh dialed in nicely .. still workin on the singin soloing tone .. volume is my biggest problem ... my band doesnt let me turn up and it sometimes feels a little choked through even just a single 1x12" closed boogie cab ... but i am not having problems with EQ balance for cleans or dirties

good luck

t4d

The only guitar I have at the moment is a '63 reissue strat...pickups are stock, I've swapped some caps and added a resistor to keep the treble up when the volume is turned down. I've had this guitar for nearly 6 years at this point and it has never let me down. It sounds great through just about every amp I've put it through.

I'm using a Roadster 2x12 cab. The only effects I'm using at the moment are a 535Q wah, Ibanez TS-9, BYOC Ross Compressor and Danelectro Dan-Echo. When I'm dialing in tones, none of these effects are connected, and I try to dial in the best tones I can without the effects loop master and solo controls in the mix. When I get close, then I turn on the effects loop (nothing actually connected in the loop) to balance the channels and dial in the master and solo controls.

Hate to state the obvious...but if it sounded good at one point and now it doesn't -- have you considered a tube or two may need replacing?

Also, I discovered a long time ago that tube amps are temperamental. They will sound different in various places (duh?) -- no what I mean, in-consistent power supply and variances. The best thing I could do for my rig was to spend $500 on a Furman Voltage Regulator and a Power Factor Pro. Now I notice that my tone is consistent from venue to venue.

YMMV :eek:

You might try some JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes. Us Mark lovers hate em because they damp the brightness and edge too much. I hear several Recto lovers adore them for the same reason.

If you are looking for power tube distortion, the Roadster may not be the amp for you. Most if not all the distortion is in the pre-amp. Also it seems you really have to crank a Recto to get it to smooth out.

Best thing I did was put some beam blockers in my cabinet. The "harsh" top end is so much more tame ever since. I'm sure it's still there, but now it's not crammed down my ear-hole.

Have you ever played a Mark IV or the Stiletto series? I had the ACE (head) for a while and the top end is really smooth when you dial it in right (but it is no Recto).

Dom

Honestly? Before selling your amp, change V1 to a TungSol 12AX7 reissue. I had similar issues with my Triple Rec before I changed tubes...

I will certainly give it a try...I'm spending money right now to build a series of tube screamer clones. If you buy one from me, it'll get me closer to buying those tubes :D

eaeolian said:
Honestly? Before selling your amp, change V1 to a TungSol 12AX7 reissue. I had similar issues with my Triple Rec before I changed tubes...

+1 It really smooths the top end out a lot. The other culprit in my rig was the V30s. I ditched them for C90s, and I couldn't be happier. I think a lot of people who complain about the harshness of Rectos are hearing the ugly upper mid bite of the V30s that they load the Recto cabs with. It's such a wrong speaker for that amp.

twostring said:
"I want a tone like I heard in my head when I played that PRS through the Marshall three years ago, but I want it to be different in these ways."

I bet you'd like that amp with a PRS! :wink:

Sorry, never been a big fan of a Strat through a Rectifier sound. :cry:

^I'd be happy playing through a toaster with a PRS.

I might just go ahead and give the tube swap a shot...I think I've got a jj laying around somewhere, I'll throw it in V1 and see what it does. But, I've got a problem...can't figure out which tube is V1, and the layout diagram is missing from the manual. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back