Favourite commercial Mark tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayno

Reaction score
I would like to hear your favourite commercially recorded Mark tones. I'm always up for hearing music outside of my own collection and especially great guitar tones. I'll kick off with one of my favourites, The Thing that should not be, Metallica. As Jason Newstead introduced it live... "One of the heaviest songs known to man!"

Don't be limited to metal, any and all genre's of music appreciated. And if you've gotten your Mark V to sound close.

https://youtu.be/bYJGt67Mwmo

There are too many :lol: I couldn't pick just one. Obviously the Metallica tones are up there. But one that always gets cranked when I hear it come on is Self Esteem by Offspring.

Loved that Offspring song. Always crank that one up too 8) never knew that's a Mark tone though. Any idea what he was using?

That was a Mark IV. I love that guitar tone. My JP2C can get close to that, but the V just isn't wild enough to nail it, it's just a little too tame for that.

The guitar tones on Sevendust's album Animosity is all Mark IV and it sounds huge. Also, the tone on Dream Theater's The Enemy Inside is the reason I became interested in Mark Series amps in the first place. Incredible tone JP has there. Also, Ruin by Lamb of God.

Some great artists there, gonna have some fun listening to them. Never knew iommi ever used Mark amps. Thought he was an Orange / Laney man. Cool beans :twisted:

Chris19 said:
The guitar tones on Sevendust's album Animosity is all Mark IV and it sounds huge. Also, the tone on Dream Theater's The Enemy Inside is the reason I became interested in Mark Series amps in the first place. Incredible tone JP has there. Also, Ruin by Lamb of God.

Saw Sevendust years ago, supporting Machine Head. One of the best gigs I've been too and I've been to a lot! Awesome band. Machine Head had the most intense mosh pit I've ever been in but Sevendust had by far the best sound of the gig. No wonder if they where using Marks haha.

abe said:
Tony Iommi: Live Evil
John Sykes: Whitesnake
Brad Gillis: Speak of the Devil

Iommi and Gillis would have been Mark 1's yeah? Possibly Mark 2? They both around 1982.
Lots of argument about overdubs on the Ozzy live video, probably pretty common I suppose. Great tones though all of them, love Sykes sound.

Wayno said:
abe said:
Iommi and Gillis would have been Mark 1's yeah? Possibly Mark 2?

IIRC, Iommi was using Mark IIB...Coli. He liked the sound but ultimately found it way too loud.

But then, Iommi could play a Pignose and still sound like himself.

LesPaul70 said:
..He liked the sound but ultimately found it way too loud...

This one sounds odd. Even if not Motorhead, Black Sabbath surely isn't the first band in mind if we need to choose The Most Silent Band of The Year ;D

Some people don't like Mesa Marks because they tend to point out players mistakes. Sometimes it sounds like the wrong note attacks out with double volume. I wonder if.. ;D

Check this out. I've posted it before, but it's one of the few where you see Tony Iommi confirmed playing Boogies. I really like the way that his playing sounds through it. Actually, I love that siund overall. There is something about that treble and mid focus on the Mark lead channels that is so great.

https://youtu.be/FiAUgz_uO1U

abe said:
Check this out. I've posted it before, but it's one of the few where you see Tony Iommi confirmed playing Boogies. I really like the way that his playing sounds through it. Actually, I love that siund overall. There is something about that treble and mid focus on the Mark lead channels that is so great.

https://youtu.be/FiAUgz_uO1U

Christ, 8 coliseum's through 12 cabs! That's insane, no wonder he thought it was too loud :roll:

Nice tone though, still gets his trademark crunch. Just goes to show, a player will always sound like him/herself no matter what they play through. Amps are just part of the equation.

Back