EVM-12L recone questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Woogie Man

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about this subject other than I believe my speaker from my MK lll requires it. I have the following questions for those who know lots more than me about it.
1. Who in the UK would do such a repair with the correct materials ?
2. How difficult is it to get a kit and do it myself ?
3. Where in the UK can I get a (genuine) kit?
Thanks in anticipation.

Sorry to hear about the EV, but have no fear reconing is a pretty easy procedure if you find the right technicians. I just had one reconed locally for $110 US. It basically entails taking out the cone and base and re-gluing. I'm somewhat technically capable but I wouldn't try this one myself unless I really had to. Having said that I have seen reconing kits online as well as companies in the US you can ship your speaker to and have them do it. I'm sure that there must be local techs in the UK that can tackle it.

Thanks. I'd rather get someone to do it for me as I know it would be done correctly. The shipping to and from USA on this speaker is out of the question unfortuantely as the shipping costs are phenomenal. Someone in the UK must do it but I'm darned if I can find anyone.

This is listed as a service center in the UK from the EV website:

http://www.electrovoice.com/contact.php?c1=3&c2=35

HamerFan said:
This is listed as a service center in the UK from the EV website:

http://www.electrovoice.com/contact.php?c1=3&c2=35
Funnily enough, I just found and emailed them, they are trying to tell me my speaker is a 300w Proline EV, I had told them it is a EVM-12L.
The cost of a recone is marginally short of the price for a new EVM-12L Classic, how do they differ from the originals ?

Related question: do Recones sound just as good as the original?? (assuming a good job of course, and after it breaks in).

Edward

I had my EVM-12L reconed a few months ago. Cost me around $100 (US). Sounds great and I haven't really gone the extra mile to breeak it in. Just played thru it normally. I have another cab with the same speaker (both thieles) and I don't really hear a difference.

I'm going to send my speaker to Shuttlesound to get reconed, they say it is done with EV materials and recommended imported glues and cements, they seem to know what they are talking about. They say the new EVM-12L Classic is not an equivalent to the Black Shadow, the EVM-12L Proline is the identical model...expensive at £311 ($600)

I have sent it to them for a re cone. I was told it will be done with genuine EV parts and even the glues and cements they use are imported. They are the only UK agents for EV. Costing me £127 ($254) to get done but at least I know it will be done correctly.

How much is a 12L Classic over there?

I also have problems with your "Exact Mesa Spec" phrase. Mesa didn't tell EV how to build the speakers. EV built them, Mesa had an exclusive deal for a while. Black Shadow just means Mesa Tested.

Got it back and WOW !! What a difference, tight bass and loud. Definitely the same as the original was and a whole lot cheaper than buying a new one. Good to know it was all done with proper EV parts as well.

Boogie Woogie Man said:
The classic here is £224 ($445). The Mesa spec. seemingly is slightly different from the standard EVM12-L and is now made as the EV Proline.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Proline series was only produced for a couple years in the early 90's. They sure are hard to find but I like them better than the seriesII stuff. As far as I can tell looking at them side by side the only difference is the proline has the 300watt voice coil. The frame, magnet, and cone look identical.

Latest posts

Back