Ever re-housed a MKV from combo to head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanDrysdale

Reaction score
I've seen a couple threads here where the weight of the combo has become an issue. I agree. I live in a 3rd floor apartment and it can be gruesome getting the combo upstairs after gigs and practices. I had a DC-10 and a recto cab and that was killer too but i went to the mkV combo as I thought it'd be nicer than 2 heavy pieces. Kinda regret it sometimes. I have my mkV combo listed as I thought I was needing quick cash for a car needing to be bought. It turned out great and I don't need to sell the amp so I started thinking a nice head and maybe a 1x12 widebody or even a vertical 2x12 would be awesome.

With there being no interest in the combo I wondered if anyone had even gotten the shell of a Mk V head and just move the guts from a combo into a head casing? Is it something that is easy to do? I had a friend suggest a couple makers of custom units but i'd much rather retain the mesa originality of sorts.

I think i'd probably even sell the combo shell (with speaker tho probably not reverb tank) if I could re-house the amp into a head.

How feasible is a task like this for the home? Or should I get someone better skilled to do that?

Cheers,

Dan.

If you're talking about simply swapping the chassis into a pre-made head shell, it's extremely easy. The chassis (minus the reverb tank) is all one assembly, held in by just four screws. Just remove the screws (they're the four screws in the two chrome strips on the top of the cabinet) and slide the chassis out.

SteveO said:
If you're talking about simply swapping the chassis into a pre-made head shell, it's extremely easy. The chassis (minus the reverb tank) is all one assembly, held in by just four screws. Just remove the screws (they're the four screws in the two chrome strips on the top of the cabinet) and slide the chassis out.

God, i'm sucha NOOB sometimes....

Didn't realise it was that easy, guess I'm on the hunt for a head shell.

Thanks for the info!

Hammer On said:
Another noob here...but what about the reverb tank?

Note where the black and white wires are plugged in, then unplug them from the tank. Four screws (two on each end), and the tank is out.

Hammer On said:
SteveO said:
Hammer On said:
Another noob here...but what about the reverb tank?

Note where the black and white wires are plugged in, then unplug them from the tank. Four screws (two on each end), and the tank is out.

So does that mean no more reverb?

I would presume until you connect another reverb tank, that the reverb is disconnected. I've heard of people doing it to other mesa models who preferred using a reverb unit by someone else.

If you're doing a combo-to-head conversion, you'll need to pull the reverb tank out of the bottom of the combo in order to install it in the head.

I just did the exact same thing with my LSC 2x12 combo. It's pretty easy. I made the cab, but you can buy the shell directly from MESA. No need to go to a dealer for that. The only pain was screwing in the screws for the strap which hold the reverb tank. It's tough to get a screw gun or even a screw driver in there. Like a jackass i put in the guts before I put in the reverb tank so there was less room. Put the reverb tank in first and strap it down, then put in the chassis. You may also want someone to help you hold the chassis in place while you screw it in.

It's not quite that simple. At least, it wasn't for me. You have to adjust the bolt that supports the main transformer on the left (if you're looking at the back of the amp). Get it good and loose so there is plenty of clearance when you put the amp in the headshell. Once it's in, raise it up slowly so that it adequately supports the transformer, without putting too much pressure on it, then tighten it in place.

Noob & Novice here! :mrgreen:
Where do you buy the head shell for MKV & how much they usually cost?
Could find them @ Boogie online store.

I bought a combo shell and changed mine from a head to a combo. I have the headshell with reverb tank installed and the cover. New condition. Give me a PM if your looking for one.

Anomaly said:
Noob & Novice here! :mrgreen:
Where do you buy the head shell for MKV & how much they usually cost?
Could find them @ Boogie online store.

Call Mesa customer service directly. They will help you get a price. The price they gave me for my lonestar shell was $350.

I did this, got a pro cab maker to make a head and cab for my Mk V combo as it was just too heavy...
Loaded the 2x12 cab with two eminence Tonkerlites (keeping the weight down).
Including the speakers it came to the same price as Boogie charge for just a plain black head shell.

7dbb82b3.jpg

the forumite gts made some very quality enclosures, but I'm not sure if he still does. worth a thought though.

Back