EQ's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Anyone got any good EQ settings for my PRS McCarty Ten Top (2004) on my Road King Combo? I'm looking for good reggae cleans, and nice clear distorted leads. I've been pondering using channel 3 for my rhythms and 4 for the all-out solos, but would love a TS808, cuz that would make the solos sound nicer, right? I play in my bedroom which makes me think sometimes I don't like my amp, but I crank in a small room, which is probably why there's some fuzziness/crackle. Also, this is the store model RK, for I ordered a Combo and yes they gave me one, but not the custom I ordered. Thank heavens I ordered a custom when I did though, cuz now I'm getting a series II. Anyone know when the hell they're coming?!

Kingster...I always recommend starting with the "suggested settings" in the Road King manual. These were excellent starting points for me, and in fact, I only had to tweak the tone knobs the barest minimum according to the room I was playing or maybe the guitar. Your PRS will probably sound much like my Les Paul...well, the Lester probably has more bottom end...but they should be close.

I suggest "Brit Grind" on channel 2 and "Liquid Solo" on Channel 3 as good examples of the suggested settings. Just look in your owner's manual.

As far as bedroom levels...yeah, that sucks...the amp really starts getting sweeter as you turn it up. You can blame me...tell you family I told you to turn it up and rock out!

Hope this helps.

RB

Haha...I do get pretty loud sometimes, Master on Ch. 4 around 8:45. My Road King is a loaner though, from GC. I'm waiting on my Series 2, so they compensated for me with this floor model.

Ya know, I recently came to the conclusion that: 1) I never bonded with my current McCarty, and 2) the pickups were a little too muddy sounding through my Dual Rec! So, I decided to send it down the road in favor of a Custom 24, something I'm thinking will mate up with my Dual Recto in a more modern way! Just something to ponder if your not getting enough clarity. Though, I will say, I previously had a Goldtop McCarty that was stolen :cry: , and that thing sang, and I mean like the heavens!

jbird said:
Ya know, I recently came to the conclusion that: 1) I never bonded with my current McCarty, and 2) the pickups were a little too muddy sounding through my Dual Rec! So, I decided to send it down the road in favor of a Custom 24, something I'm thinking will mate up with my Dual Recto in a more modern way! Just something to ponder if your not getting enough clarity. Though, I will say, I previously had a Goldtop McCarty that was stolen :cry: , and that thing sang, and I mean like the heavens!

I played both the McCarty soapbar and the McCarty both through my dual rec and had exactly the same finding; tons of mud.

The HFS (which is in the Cu24) sounds really good with the DR however, as does the Tremonti Treble pickup. I tend to like the Tremonti treble because it's hotter wound than the HFS and has a more balanced 'hifi' almost sound. Only complaint is that it lacks a bit in the midrange. HFS have a smokey fell to them, I loved them when I had a 24.

edit: forgot to mention, you can get good tones with it but it took me a lot longer to dial in than any other PRS.

Latest posts

Back