Engl or marshall 4x12 cabs(greenbacks) with the V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddlydan

Reaction score
Im moving on my recto 2x12 as im after a 4x12 sound and find the recto 2x12 too sizzly for my taste.Not a fan of v30's to be honest.Im looking at a few secondhand engls.1 is the standard version with v60 speakers.Probably a v30 style speaker,and the other is the pro version 4x12 with greenbacks.These were swapped out for the v30's that come standard i would say.Also considering a higher end marshall with greenbacks.Anybody using these and how does the V sound through em?I would go with a 4x12 recto but as i said im not a fan of the v30's and did try one the other day with an express and recto.The express sounded terrible through it but the recto sounded superb through it.Also my mate has a 4x12 recto cab and also has a mark v.Not a big fan of the recto cab with it either.

I wouldn't go with G12H's to tell the truth. Not much different to V30's in the top end. I've a 2x12 with two 1971 (I think) G12H's in. And a 1960 with V30's in.
I've also a 1960a from 1980 that has G12-65's in. The original creambacks. Very nice and smooth. Picked it up for £150. They're out there if you look.

So far I used my V with 3 cabs.. Widebody 1x12 with C90 (closed and ported), Marshall cab with 4 v30s, and Epi 1x12 (had it lying around) and I put in a Eminence Deltalite II 2512 (similar to EVM12L). I love the C90 and 2512.

For ENGL and G12H's, I only used the impulse responses from the Torpedo Live. I loved the Orange G12H cab (Tanger 30C), and the ENGL (ANGL) also sounds fantastic.

I know these are digital examples, but I figured I would mention that as an option. Also, the mic that you use is important as well. I wasn't crazy about the SM57 with various 4x12s, but the Beyer M160 sounded great with those cabs.

I have three cabs, two avatar premier vintage 2x12 closed back and one avatar premier vintage 1x12. One 2x12 is a v30xg12h30 and one is two greenbacks. The 1x12 is a celestion gold.

I go back and forth between the greenback cab and the gold cab as to which I prefer. Don't really love the v30xg12h30 with my v.

Back