ElectroVoice EVM-12L for LSC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried loading an EVM-12L Classic in their LSC? From what I am reading this could be a dangerous and addicting upgrade. Any opinions?

Since using an EV in a cab I got used, I only use EV's. They are addicting and dangerous on the wallet as well as small children and animals :twisted:

I use 2 mesa 1x12 halfback cabs loaded with evm 12ls with my roadster head. To my ears these are the best speakers for guitar period. You'll never experience cleans like these with a vintage 30 or a c90 thats for sure. After using these for some time I find that most other speakers lack the definition these have and sound muddy and glassy at the same time. Once you start using evm 12ls you'll find it hard to accept anything else.

I agree with the previous posts here. Personally, I love my JBL g125's, g135's and Altec 418b's, but the EVM 12l and 12s have a well earned reputation. Cast frame speakers tend to be better made than their stamped frame cousins and often sound spectacular to their owners' ears... Plenty are available on eBay for not huge money...What have you got to lose? Maybe shipping cost, but that's about it. Should you wish to sell, which after getting one you probably won't, it will hold market value well, like a Mesa amp! Why settle for store bought tone? You can always put the stock speaker back in if you don't like the new one. Peace.

Thank you guys for the response. I will order one today and post the results. Guess I need to go ahead and start the Tulsa Ok chapter of Lonestar Anonymous: "My name is Rusty and I am a Lonestar-aholic.............."

in my experience you have to EQ differently than if you were using, say, a Vintage 30, but once you compensate for the additional treble frequencies they are very sweet sounding speakers for distortion.

For instance with a black shadow the presence on my Mark III was set at 7 or 8, and with an EV I would use 1.5-3 on the dial.

You can't beat the tightness of a 12L though.

phyrexia said:
in my experience you have to EQ differently than if you were using, say, a Vintage 30, but once you compensate for the additional treble frequencies they are very sweet sounding speakers for distortion.

For instance with a black shadow the presence on my Mark III was set at 7 or 8, and with an EV I would use 1.5-3 on the dial.

You can't beat the tightness of a 12L though.

+1

cool thanks, I think the c90's tend to be darker then a v30 or I guess as you have said the EV. the LSC I fell in love with in the first place had a v30 in the cab and it had that nice sizzle on the top end that made me lose my worries about ch 2 having enough gain and crunch.

I wonder if there are any sound clips out there of a LSC with an EV. any one wanna put some up for us?

I took 2 EV's out of my old Music man and tried to put them in my Lonestar and they did not fit, the magnets rest on the reverb tank.

my B rig is 2 1x12's EVM200's stacked up on top of each other..the Sound is amazing.. Huge sounding speakers...i would love to hear 4 of them in a quad box..

this is an SRO although not the kind with the finned heatsink, which is what i was thinking.

d311_1.JPG

rvschulz said:
can 2 EVM-12Ls fit in a LSC 2x12 combo ??

So you think your LSC is light, eh? ;)

...sorry, I couldn't resist :) Simply stellar tone on the EVMs and I, like others here, find them addictive. But man is there a weight penalty!! Bad enough for a 112, but for a multi-spkr cab ....whoa!

Edward

Hey Fellow Lone Star-aholics:

Maybe you guys who have the EVM-12Ls (or the new EV-Classic-12s) can help me and others who are curious about the sound of these highly regarded speakers.

I have considered trying the EVM-12Ls with a Lone Star too...but have not heard one....and the problem is that I have read conflicting reports of what the differences between them and say a Celestion Vintage 30 are.

Let me explain...I've read the reports here about the EVM-12L...and on other forums as well. Almost everyone agrees about how great they are...but would you guys mind giving me your impressions about a specific tone question?

For example: Here I read about a user having to 'cut the presence' because the EVM is 'brighter' than a Vintage 30 or a 'Black Shadow'...
......... but........
....on another forum I read that the EVM has full bass and mids, but is 'darker' in the treble range than a Celestion V30!

You see the cause of my confusion! Two different people comparing the same speakers; but saying the exact opposite of each other! I've looked at the specs and actually they would seem to suggest that the EVM-12L (or the EV 'Classic'-Reissue) would be 'darker sounding' than a Vintage 30...
........but.........
...we all know that specs seldom tell the whole story...

So... I would like any of you who are willing; to tell me the specific differences (or similarities) between the tone of the EV; and the tone of a Celestion Vintage 30 (or a Mesa Celestion Black Shadow 90). These two speakers I am very familiar with...and so is most everyone else...so it will make the comparisons easier to understand. And please be specific...don't just say how 'Awesome' the EVM is...I won't to know what are the specific differences that make it so 'Awesome'!?

Simply describe the treble response of the EV and compare it to the Celestions. Are it's 'highs' as loud as the Celestion?...or louder?...What 'qualities' such as 'chime' or 'crispness' (or any that occur to you) would you use to describe the EV's sound...and how would the Celestion compare.?

Since the 'treble' response seems to be the area with the most confusion...please concentrate on that primarily. But it would be useful to read your specific comparisons of the EVMs bass and midrange response compared to the Celestion Vintage 30 and Black Shadow too.

Thanks, Charles

Hi Charles,

Can't comment with any authority on the V30, but compared to the MC90, sure. The MC is "warmer" with a more pronounced mids to upper mids than the EVM. The EVM sounds more "flat" (or maybe "linear" is a better descriptor) than the MC across the mids to highs. BUT, the EMVs highs (that elusive "presence" tone) is clearer and, here it comes, "brighter."

So there's the confusion. It's symantics. "Brighter" in the very upper freq's is what the EVM does better: clearer, more tonal definition, and "can" be harsh if eq'd too aggressively. Yet "can" be very smooth and "glassy" if you watch those treb and pres knobs.

By contrast, the MCs more aggressive mid and upper mids, where most of a guitar's voice resides, makes the MC90 appear "warmer" and a bit "darker" up top ...keeping in mind that "dark" is only relative to the EVM as the MC is by no means a "dark" speaker, as I am sure you know.

Now as for bottom, this is easy: the EVM is tight, focused, and very clean/defined. Almost defies logic given it's excellent upper-freq response, but the bottom is, IMHO, that good! The MCs bottom is less defined, "softer" and more subtle if you will. Not "bad" by any means, as I feel it's a great guitar speaker, but you just will not get the tight "chug" from an MC that comes so easily/naturally with an EVM. That said, I do not play metal and don't really want "chugga chug," but the EVM is glorious with clean and slight breakup, especially when the guitar is out there on its own, sans bassist, for certain passages (or gigs). And with saturated OD, the EVM also delivers across the guitar's freq range very well ...where the the MCs tends to have less bottom and more mids/uppermids and, thus, can "cut through" a full band mix very nicely w/o sounding brash.

IMHO, both are amazing together. If I were forced to choose to play only one, I'd choose the MC over the EVM. But together, whoa!! It's a gestalt thing: together, the two speakers' voices are *much* more than the sum of their parts. Again, all IMHO. :)

Edward

edward:

Great answer(s)! Thanks! I think I get the picture.

See edward's answer (last post) to my question(next to last post)

Anyone else got something to add?

EV 12L is my desert island speaker. I actually didn't like a C90 and a 12L together, but it could have been the c90 not being broken in. I've never felt an open back combo (my mark III) hit me in the chest so much as when I put the EV in it.

Latest posts

Back