EL34 vs. 6L6 - choices? choices?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianmesaman

Reaction score
i've been reading the forums here for a while now in preparation for my newest family addition.
the mesa mark v combo - ivory bronco, tan accents, tweed, 1x12 "black shadow" serial # 501 !! it appears that
my trusty tsl 100 1/2 stack will be gettin some down time (hope she isn't too envious of her new, sexy, younger sibling!!) LOL
the marshall is great and has served me well, and i find it quite easy to dial in all my desired tones. from my mesa readings i
expect there to be more of a learning curve in dialing in the mark v. good lord just look at all the knobs and 3-way switches,
the back is loaded with just as many it seems. i've downloaded the manual and have started to familiarize myself with this
marvel of sonic engineering. i know i'll be able to come here (over the next few months and years) to inquire about all things
mesa and get some good, reliable advice from real musicians, techs, and tone freaks. so howdy y'all from the great white north
(well not really, just ontario). thanking you in advance for your "words of wisdom"!!! rock on boys .....

speaking of the EL34 vs. 6L6 debate. the 34's will provide me with less overall punch, and volume but more warmness and "musicality"? i've played thru my buddies dual rect. (6L6's) many times and it just kindda barks at ya. very dry, very direct , very "in your face", maybe it's his cab (5150). my jcm 2000 tsl 100 was tubed with mullard 34's before i got it. i've
grow acustom to the "34 tone" and the sweet gain and smooth power they provide. i'm thinkin on swappin' out the tubes in the boogie right away. any tube suggestions?? groove tubes, tungsol, electro-harminox, mesa tubes? they are expensive for the V and i wanna get it right the first time out. matched and balanced pairs, or with the auto-bias does it even matter. maybe try the 6L6's first anyway, this is the mark V not a dual. is there a big difference tone wise between the two models? any suggestions on the most "harmonically sweet" 12ax7's to use with my combo. i'm using seymore duncan 2's,4's,5's'6's,13's. thanks guys !!

canadianmesaman
all things metal and heavy rock
sabbath, priest, ozzy, megadeth, maiden, purple, dio, etc.

i find that teh els cut better and sound better with my 7 string but something still makes me love 6l6s

Latest posts

Back