Edited: Getting an Express 5:50 2x12 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my steps with an Express 5:50

1: Get new Mesa. Feel excited but it's not my first good tube amp.

2: Dial in all of the same settings that you use for your other amps, and think it sounds awesome.

3: Try messing around with ridiculous settings and still can't get a bad tone.

4: Impress others with your awesome tone.

5: Realize that my Mesa is very easy to dial up and this amp is a keeper.

Sorry to simplify things but hey - that's life :)

Nice to see some 5:50 love around here! They tend to get kicked around a bit, but they are still a Mesa and they have tons of tone! Enjoy yours when you get it!!! I have had a 1x12 since Feb 2007 and it is sweet!!!! Like Newysurfer said, it is a keeper!

Cheers,

Richt :D

MrMason said:
The wait is excruciating! :? It hasn't even been a month, and I was quoted 6-8 weeks. I'm jonesing for this amp bad :oops: Part of me wishes I had gotten a floor model, but the sensible part of me didn't want to buy an amp that has been trashed by teenagers from GC. :lol:

I was fortunate that, when I bought my 5:50, they had one sealed in a box at another store 25 miles away. I drove up there that afternoon to pick it up.

The one that I demoed was pretty shop worn.

Newysurfer said:
2: Dial in all of the same settings that you use for your other amps, and think it sounds awesome.

That wasn't the case with me at all.

My other current amps- a '66 Vibrolux Reverb, '68 Princeton Reverb, '57 tweed Deluxe (5E3) clone and Gibson GA-5, as well as my previous amps in the past 25 plus years, besides having a lot less knobs, required very different settings than my 5:50.

richt said:
Nice to see some 5:50 love around here! They tend to get kicked around a bit, but they are still a Mesa and they have tons of tone! Enjoy yours when you get it!!! I have had a 1x12 since Feb 2007 and it is sweet!!!! Like Newysurfer said, it is a keeper!

Cheers,

Richt :D
Yeah, I'm really jonesing for my 5:50. It seems to be a really under-rated amp. I've played just about every new production Mesa: Lonestar, Dual Rectifier, Mark IV (got to put this one through it's paces). They all sounded good, but the 5:50 stood out more to me for my style of playing. To each his own, I guess.

Back