Edge Mode Is Where It's At!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjboogie

Reaction score
I have been struggling with Channel 2 for quite some time finding something that I really like. Mark1 mode has been my go too so far. I am currently on tour right now and have really been able to use the Mark V the way it was intended. Big stages at high volumes! This am is so great!

Anyways I crunch mode wasn't happening to me.....too snarly for my taste. And the Mark 1 mode was a bit dark for my gig. Lo and behold I flipped up to the edge mode and instant gratification! It has the perfect voicing for that channel that I need right now! I don't know why I have been avoiding it so long!

I am a happy man!

How do you guys set it up?

And what type of sound are you going for with this mode?

Hendog said:

I set mine up with the gain at 930, and some times 130. Those seem to be the sweet spots on my setup. Almost sounds a bit Hendrix to me. I really enjoy this mode in 10 watt / tweed. I feel like I'm playing something vintage.

I agree. Crunch just doesn't sound "right" to me. Mark 1 is a killer mode but I love Edge for a "cranked Super Reverb" type of tone. It is a great rhythm tone.
That tone can be boosted into killer blues lead tone with a pedal on the front. I use the amazing boost that is built in to my Radial Loopbone.

Hendog said:

I have been using Variac Power the entire tour so far. It just feels so much better to me.

Every channel on 90Watts for more overall girth.

In edge mode I am going for a low gain sound. Something with a bit of clarity but still some overdrive and warmth. Basically almost similar voicing of channel one but like I kicked in an overdrive pedal or something.....just an extention of channel one. Then Ch3 is for heavy high gain type sounds or thick creamy leads.

I will see if I can take a pic of my settings at my gig tonight and post it later. I can't remember all my eq settings off the top of my head.

Edge, Crunch & Mark I . All extremely different and all very useful . The same can be said for channel 3 . For me I still dig my Lonestar clean over the Mark V clean . I know that I will get alot of disagreement but thats just the way it works for my ears . At the end of the day , Mesa got it right . Its an amazing amp .

Barry said:
Edge, Crunch & Mark I . All extremely different and all very useful . The same can be said for channel 3 . For me I still dig my Lonestar clean over the Mark V clean . I know that I will get alot of disagreement but thats just the way it works for my ears . At the end of the day , Mesa got it right . Its an amazing amp .

You're right nothing beats the Lonestar clean! NOTHING!!!!

Mark V clean is very good but the Lonestar is just pure magic!

That being said the Mark V SMOKES everything else in versatility! Just my opinion! ; )

jjboogie said:
Barry said:

You're right nothing beats the Lonestar clean! NOTHING!!!!

Mark V clean is very good but the Lonestar is just pure magic!

That being said the Mark V SMOKES everything else in versatility! Just my opinion! ; )

+1

You should try Edge mode with P90's, it's amazing. I also really like it with buckers and to a lesser degree with regular singles but on my setup the P90's just have "it".

ixoye777 said:
You should try Edge mode with P90's, it's amazing. I also really like it with buckers and to a lesser degree with regular singles but on my setup the P90's just have "it".

I would love to try anything with P90's! I have never owned a P-90 guitar! I am jonesing for one pretty bad though!

I having been using a 52RI Tele with Noiseless Pups.

Here are my channel 2 settings for now. The bass setting varies a little from room to room but this is pretty much where I got it locked in. This pic was taken two gigs ago. Last night's gig I ended up switching it to THICK! :mrgreen:

IMG_0652.jpg

jjboogie said:
Here are my channel 2 settings for now. The bass setting varies a little from room to room but this is pretty much where I got it locked in. This pic was taken two gigs ago. Last night's gig I ended up switching it to THICK! :mrgreen:

IMG_0652.jpg

yeah mate, thick mode doesnt affect EDGE, it´s just for MARK I..anyway, I see too much bass dialed for edge! I always try to keep my tone in the midrange of the mix.

Back