Easy way to change tubes in your Mark V HEAD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dino2sf

Reaction score
I couldnt deal with how difficult it was to change the tubes in my Mark V so here's what I did. I realize some of you may not want to do this but I wanted to share this tip. I am so happy I did it. I can change tubes in seconds now. All it took was a few minutes with a jigsaw.

IMG_01491_zpsbed245b7.jpg

When you put the front grill back on you cant even tell anything was done. I just leave the screws unscrewed on the grill for easy access.

IMG_01511_zps17b42663.jpg

Someone posted they did that something and did not void the warrenty. I think Boogie knows it is a nightmare changing pre amps. Nice job sir!!

Curious to hear feedback from other Mark V users. Im kinda surprised there have been only 2 comments after all the threads complaining about how impossible it is to change tubes....... I dont know why Mesa does'nt make them this way to begin with.

Your thoughts on the Mod????

that mod is a great idea and looks good too but i have a combo and certainly dont want to operate on that!!!
but i dont really have too much problems with changing them out...just getting that darn metal tube guard back on..
probably turning the amp upside down would help as well.....just like working on the car :?

I didnt think about combos good call on that. Im guessing that the combos give you some room to work unlike the head. Those metal guards were pretty much impossible to put back on (especially V1) without taking the chassis out. Now its pretty easy

**** that looks really good! Would be worried it could void the warranty.

How long before you changed the preamp tubes. I change the power tubes once a year. We practice 3 nights a week and gig allot. Should I just keep them in the amp until they blow. Just worried about them going at a show.

dino2sf said:
Curious to hear feedback from other Mark V users. Im kinda surprised there have been only 2 comments after all the threads complaining about how impossible it is to change tubes....... I dont know why Mesa does'nt make them this way to begin with.

Your thoughts on the Mod????

I don't have a problem with it after changing tubes a couple times... The main thing is to of course remove the power tubes when working with the preamp tubes and be aware of the orientation at all times so you can set the tubes and covers the right way in your hand before attempting to put them in. You don't want to have to rotate the tubes and feel around for the valves. Sometimes I forget the V3 tube's valve orientation is backwards, but otherwise it isn't too bad...

actually there is enough room to get my elbow in there to get to the tubes ..V1 is a little different i just sit on the floor and make sure the tube is orented the correct way(as per farren!!)and put it in place totally without seeing what im doing...the rest are easy.i shine a light up there to see how they go in..no problem..
the more you change them the easier it gets..especially for us tube swap junkies 8)
dino2sf said:
I didnt think about combos good call on that. Im guessing that the combos give you some room to work unlike the head. Those metal guards were pretty much impossible to put back on (especially V1) without taking the chassis out. Now its pretty easy

pivot said:
**** that looks really good! Would be worried it could void the warranty.

How long before you changed the preamp tubes. I change the power tubes once a year. We practice 3 nights a week and gig allot. Should I just keep them in the amp until they blow. Just worried about them going at a show.

Im changing preamp tubes often just for different tones. So if you are only changing them when they go bad , the mod may not be worth it.

Pulling the reverb tank gives you pretty good access to the preamp tubes in the head, it leaves a nice big hole that you can reach through.

Latest posts

Back