DUAL RECTIFIER 2 CHANNEL TOO LOOSE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the triple XXX had the massiveness that the Mesa had it'd be over for the Rectifier in my opinion. But you can't beat the Mesa when you want a full sound. the XXX is punchy but it nowhere near has balls that the Mesa has. God help us all when they come out with a Mesa that has that HUGE sound and a Punch that gets you right in the guts. I'm gonna try an mxr-10 and maybe chuck a tube screamer in there, see what it does. Here's hopin'.

i definitely know where you are coming from, im still tweaking my mesa to get it to sound exactly the way i want it to. I know that an overdrive will help, plus i plan on getting a few eq's to put pre and post distortion to better shape the tone. Right now i just dont have the time/money plus im kinda lazy. I have actually been trying to get better at guitar instead of tweaking so much HAHA

I have an older 2 channel DR and love it, tight and punchy. I run it on spongy, vacuum tubes, orange to modern. Presence-12 to 1, Bass 11:30 ish, Mids the same, Treble 1 and Gain the same, I run it through a stock 5150 cab with my les paul (stock pickups)

kissmyaxe said:
ya that is haha but thanks for the idea. i just thought about this the other day. Which in all of your opinions is the superior amp, the 2 channel rectifier or the 3 channel, could the 3 channel have the crunch i'm looking for?

2 channel has superior tone, 3 channel has superior versatility. early 90's 2 channels are tighter than their descendants.

If you want tight, get an OD pedal or get a Mark4.

what sort of tubes do u have in there? did u try el34s? i play around with different types of 6l6s when i tweak my amps. jj 6l6s are nice and well rounded sounding and the str 440s are less bassy and very midrangey. maybe try the 440s to tighten your sound up or a pair of jjs and 440s if the 440s are a little too harsh.

well I made some headway regarding the sound of this amp. I was consulting an amp technician the other day via email about getting my amp cleaned up and to also fix any inconsistencies that exist within the amp. I told him my problem about the amp being looser than the balls on a moose. he recommended taking one of the rectifier tubes out and this helped significantly, it's a lot punchier than it was and obviously plays a little better at lower volumes. just throwin' that out there for you guys.

kissmyaxe said:
well I made some headway regarding the sound of this amp. I was consulting an amp technician the other day via email about getting my amp cleaned up and to also fix any inconsistencies that exist within the amp. I told him my problem about the amp being looser than the balls on a moose. he recommended taking one of the rectifier tubes out and this helped significantly, it's a lot punchier than it was and obviously plays a little better at lower volumes. just throwin' that out there for you guys.

i've had the same issues with my early 90's dual rec. to get a punchy distortion sound you are using the rectifier tubes? i always thought that the silicon diodes were the way to go?

i'm on silicon diodes; however, when i removed one of the rectifiers it was like "bam" CHUG! FINALLY!. I'm not sure how this amp works. but it's sounding mint now.

I also have a 2 ch dual rec and have a little trouble tightening it up, so you leave it on Silicon Diode and pull one of the rectifier tubes out? Is this safe to do?

I'm sorry but I see the title of this thread and my response is: "Yeah. And?"

Such is the nature of the beast.

kissmyaxe said:
i'm on silicon diodes; however, when i removed one of the rectifiers it was like "bam" CHUG! FINALLY!. I'm not sure how this amp works. but it's sounding mint now.

weird, because i pulled both recto tubes out of mine months ago, and noticed no difference at all.

Latest posts

Back