dual rectifer + gibson studio = wow

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalhead51105

Reaction score
so yeah yesterday i went to guitar center to buy a schecter c-1 elite to replace my shitty ltd ec-50. i plugged it in to the dual rec they had there to test drive it and wow it sounded awful. no clarity or anything and the tone was awful. while it was better than the ltd i was not satisfied. one of the guys pointed out a gibson les paul vintage mahogany and told me to try it out. though i had played this same guitar before i never really was found of the tone. however i took his advice used the same settings on the store dual rec that i use on mine (which i thought were terrible and that i just didnt know how to dial it in) and wow i was amazed. the thing kicked complete *** and ive never played a guitar or amp that sounded so good together. it was as if they were made for each other. so astonished i walked up to the guy and told him my budget and how i only planned on buying the c-1 elite and long story short i walked out of the store purchasing a beautiful guitar that screams on high gains for a little over 500 after haggling a bit. i took it home and plugged it in after my ltd just to do an a/b comparison and it demolished. for all those who have been reading my posts know that i havent been happy with my recs tone and i always thought it was the amp. but after making a great purchase on a great guitar im pumped with the rec and ive finally given the tube powered beast its due room to unleash its fury. anyone looking for "that" tone out of their dual rectifier should definately consider adding a good gibson or prs before making any mods to their amp. now only to upgrade my marshall 1960 cab to either a rectifier or stilleto 4x12. :twisted: :twisted:

Glad you found your tone!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
I miss my Gibson LP's sometimes, but they don't make 7 strings :evil:
I agree the tonalities of the LP's and DR's are something unique, so are PRS and DR's. Quality equipment needs other quality equipment to really shine. Congrats

cool man!!!!! a recto 4*12 really gives the dual recto a lift. 1960 marshall is too .....hmmm I don´t know how to say it. A rectifier cab is really good and gives the ´dual some justice

What type of stuff are you playing? That may help with cab selection.

Duals are only so "tight" and cab choices really bring that out. 4x12 straight's are great with the newer 3ch and a lot of people like the Stiletto's; which are the original size of the rectifier cab's. Rectifier cab are bigger now with a little more lower end. A recto 2x12 cab is also very nice for a good price.

If you are looking for a more focused attack, El34's also tighten things up. I just bought a matched quad and love them.

Good to see another Ohio boy on the board. Welcome to the fold.

It's the vintage mahagony model, basically a step below the studio step above the special, but plays better than the studio IMO. I'm pretty sure anyway, let me know if I'm wrong metalhead

The all mahogany Gibson tone is classic and timeless. The "Black Beauty" Les Paul Customs from the 50's were all mahogany, not a maple cap like the rest of the line. I prefer the unbound necks of the Studio series guitars, you get more fingerboard real estate because Gibson does not overlap their frets onto the binding. You can pay a lot more for fancy binding and pretty "flamed" woods but you don't really get much more guitar with your eyes closed. I have actually come to prefer the simple understated look, I have a Limited Edition Studio in black with a copper top and no fret markers on the face of the ebony fingerboard. Kinda heavy but that is where that tone and feel come from. Hang on to that one, good score!

i tried a pretty high quality prs for shits and giggles through the store dual rec and it sounded just as good if not better than the lp i bought and of course looked a lot better but such is what you pay for when you spend over 2000 on a guitar. yet such was unfortunatly not in my budget as i have to pay for college lol. anyway i dunno about my cab selection yet. its still the missing peice. i want to get a hard rock almost gritty grunge rock sound within the likes of creed, nickelback, sevendust etc. but also be able to play a more post hardcore/metal sound along the lines of avenged, thrice, etc. if i wanted to. thats why i chose the dual rec head. but anyway i got the cheap marshall cab knowing i would upgrade my guitar first and i didnt want to skimp on that. anyway the way i look at it, if im still getting a good sound using the boogie, a gibson, and the marshall cab is the only thing holding me back then im in a pretty good place. i know i definately will be getting a boogie cab but its definately not in the cards at the moment unfortuantly.

to respond to clutch i havent tried el34s yet but i plan on it. i have an old musicman hd 130 that i inherited which after joining this board i checked it out and found i had el34s in that so ill be checking it soon to let you know.

to answer burnstudios its a gibson. just as toneaddictjon said its a lp vintage mahogany model which normally goes for about 800 due to the lack of binding, fancy finish etc. its basically a stripped down version of a standard so that it contains the same great sound without the looks for a much lower price. yet it does sound alot better than a studio even though its lower priced due to the fact that like the standard it has burstbucker pros in it if im correct as opposed to the studio which contains a 490R/498T mix. the difference in pups IMO is the reason it would sound better, along with the fact that it is all mahogany giving it a darker warmer sound. but all in all while it was priced for 800 or so i got it cheaper mainly because one, i opted to buy the guitar without the case and two i told him i would pay five hundred in cash that day or come back and run the risk of buying it from someone else. so i guess either his pity upon me or sheer greed for wanting commission allowed me to walk away with what i thought was a steal considering i dont care as much for looks as i do for sound at the moment.
anyway once i again i would say if your looking in the direction of an amazing guitar for a little price and your thinking schecter i would save the extra 200 and buy one the bad boys i bought.

Latest posts

Back