Dual rec multi watt volume issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tchamps99

Reaction score
I just picked up a used dual rec multi watt and there seems to be a volume issue with just the 2nd channel. It’s not as loud as either channel 1 or 3 could this be a bad volume pot? Has anyone else here run into this problem? Thanks

I have not had any issues with mine. Bought it in 2018.

OK, lets start with the rear panel. Set the Assign control to loop bypass. This will disable the FX loop (including the global volume and solo boost controls). Before you power it up, dial back on each of the channel masters the amp will be much louder when using the loop bypass mode.

This will allow you to see if the CH2 master is working properly. You should have the same level of volume control as you get with CH3 as they are both clones. Try all three voicing modes. Raw and vintage will have a lower output compared to the modern mode, this is normal.
If you do not hear any changes with the voicing switch, it could be that which is the issue. If that works but you cannot get the channel to push air like CH3, I will assume it is the channel master volume control. May have a shorted pin on the solder tabs or a broken wire. Could be a bad pot as you suggested. If you replace it and the same thing happens, it could be one of the relays not making good contact or it could be some contamination on the board (list goes on as it could be a number of things except for the preamp tubes since the same circuits are used with CH3).

I have not had any issues with mine. Bought it in 2018.

OK, lets start with the rear panel. Set the Assign control to loop bypass. This will disable the FX loop (including the global volume and solo boost controls). Before you power it up, dial back on each of the channel masters the amp will be much louder when using the loop bypass mode.

This will allow you to see if the CH2 master is working properly. You should have the same level of volume control as you get with CH3 as they are both clones. Try all three voicing modes. Raw and vintage will have a lower output compared to the modern mode, this is normal.
If you do not hear any changes with the voicing switch, it could be that which is the issue. If that works but you cannot get the channel to push air like CH3, I will assume it is the channel master volume control. May have a shorted pin on the solder tabs or a broken wire. Could be a bad pot as you suggested. If you replace it and the same thing happens, it could be one of the relays not making good contact or it could be some contamination on the board (list goes on as it could be a number of things except for the preamp tubes since the same circuits are used with CH3).

It’s definitely only on channel two and I did take the effects loop out to see if it was that and recently it started doing it when I turned the master pot for that channel so it think that’s it. I’ll try some contact cleaner on the pot See if that does anything

Keep in mind MODERN has no negative feedback & is naturally louder than other voicings.
Yes but, when I strum a chord or a note as it decays I can hear it getting louder and softer as it goes. I would say it sounds like a tube issue but it doesn’t happen on either of the other channels which is why I think it a bad or dirty pot

You are probably right, dirty pot or perhaps worn out. Hope you get that issue resolved. If you are going to open up the chassis, check the wires on the pot and where they are soldered to the board. It could be a bad solder joint too and the pot is just fine.

Should not be all that difficult to repair.

I removed the chasis and sprayed the pot with contact cleaner and I think that did it. Fingers crossed but it seems ok now

Back