Mesa Quad CH1 Not Enough Mid Scoop - Could this be an LDR problem?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuantumDot

Reaction score
I recently encountered a problem with my Mesa Quad and it happened overnight. I'm using the Quad on the first lead channel and a 750 Hz scoop on max on the graphic EQ and, without changing my signal path and settings one bit, the Quad started to sound much more mid-focussed and not as tight as it did before.

I went to a tech to check the tubes, filter caps, and clean the potentiometers and graphic EQ, but everything seems to be fine.

Then I was told that it could be an LDR problem, not that they're fully broken yet just not at full capacity anymore. The only problem is that there are 18 LDR components in the Quad and I'm not sure if all of them are active on first channel.

Would you say that this could indeed be an LDR issue?

I was fortunate enough to record a clip just the day before it went awry, I recorded the Quad through Mesa 2:90 into a reactive load, so there's no cab/IR on top so that you can hear the full range.

Here's a clip from before it changed its character:

And here's after it changed character:

The difference is not overwhelming but it is there. The mids are much more present in the after clip and there's less tight bass / top-end.

Back