Dual Caliber DC3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtdmusic

Reaction score
I purchased a used DC-3 for $650. I hope I was not ripped off.
The guy that I brought it from told me it only had a few hours on it??

Anyway, I have noticed when I play my high e string and notes on the e string, I hear a fast tremelo sound?? also noise when I adjust the eq board on front panel..... what can I do?

Congrats on the DC-3 - it's a great amp. $650 seems a little steep, but if it's in good condition, you won't regret it.

Regarding the low number of hours - don't take the guy's word for it. Start by checking the pre-amp tubes. One by one replace with a known good one until the tremolo effect goes away. I have the same amp, and that's (on occasion) been a sign that I have a pre-amp tube going south.

The sliders on the eq get real dirty. Take the knobs off and look inside to see if there's a lot of crap in there, and clean out if necessary. Otherwise, just slide each one up and down a bit to try and loosen the crud up. If you use contact cleaner, be really careful that it's safe to use on plastic, and don't make the mistake I made, which was to use the stuff that has a lubricant - it loosens the sliders up too much.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will try what you said. Cosmetically speaking the amp is in great condition..although the color of the amp is kind of an unusual marble gray color. I hope I did not get ripped off. I can tell that this amp has the potential to be a great sounding amp.

I hope it is only tube related....do you have any more advice you can forward me?

Thank you so much.

I have no other advice really at this point. Play with it a while, then if you have more issues, let us know. There are so many great folks on here all the time - it would be hightly unusual if someone can't point you in the right direction at least.

BTW - the color you have was a custom option - I've seen one like that before. The amp is usually standard black.

Again - good luck!

I just went and purchased the 6 pre amp tubes (12ax7) and 4 EL84's and replaced all of the tubes to be safe.

Amp sounded clean....so far played it for around 20 minutes after changing out the tubes.

Glad to hear it. If the problem wasn't the tubes, it would still be there. Sounds like you're up and running. Congrats. Enjoy that amp.

Oh man, here in Australia I just laid down AU$1300 (US$900) for a DC-2. I would have preferred to pay less, but cripes, this is one great amp. :D

Back