Does LSS Cut it Live

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mick said:
No problem Murph. Like I said, I don't know tech and figured I'd toss out that link so you could check it out.

I love my LSS too! After an initial de-bug(pre amp tube took a dump 1st day I had it) I re-tubed it with NOS Teslas and dropped in a Celestion Gold. The only drawback as far as I can see is that now I'm hungry for another Mesa.....like a new LSC!! 8)

Hi, can you comment on how the Celestion Gold compares vs. the C-90? Been thinking about that speaker myself.

Hey Simonich, here's my set-up and why I swapped the C-90. ASAT with vintage wound(low output) pickups straight to the LSS. At bedroom levels I could live with the C-90 but I like to play on the neck pickup (blues,rockabilly,Travis picking) and once I'd get close to "playing with a drummer" level the bottom got real flabby and the high end got piercing(on the bridge pickup).

The Gold really tightened up the bottom and the highs are sweet, no more ear stab. Also IMO sounds awesome pushing it in the 5W setting.

my extension cab has a celestion blue in it. I am going to put one in my combo aswell. the sound is so smooth, and just right were it should be. that speaker is (for me) tonal balance. I love the response and break up. wonderful.

For what its worth, my LSS 2x12 combo held its own quite well in band practice last night against the other guitarists Roadster. Clean headroom was there and the drive for channel two was surprisingly better than i thought it was gonna be. I was however using a 2x12 recto cab with the amp so, it was producing 35 watts.

I switched out the stock C-90's in my LSS 2x12 with Celestion Golds. The difference is incredible. My amp breaths and is nearly 3d. I will switch the tubes next, but cannot find the NOS Teslas (not JJ) I desire and Mullards are a bit pricey.

Boogieman, 100% with you on the Golds. I did my amp 1st and then the 1x12 ext cab. Get a hold of Mike herehttp://www.kcanostubes.com/content/.

Tell him what you want to do. Pretty sure he'll be able to help you out. NFI, just smooth transactions, good advice, and excellent tubes.

Just did a big outdoor show -- large stage, big PA, horn section going. I was using the 1-12 LSS with the channel volume at 12:00, and the master at about 10:00. Stage volumes were loud, and horns and keys competing in the same frequencies with the guitar, but the monitor mixes were excellent. The LSS cut through great. I had it a bit louder at first, but the sound folks wanted a bit less of guitar for stage volume. No question that the LSS can cut through a mix well for many music styles. Although, with a loud metal band situation, I'd imagine it would have its limitations.

I wonder if a pedal like this in the effects loop would help:

MI Audio - Boost & Buff

www.miaudio.com/BNB1.htm

Huge 35db Boost range.
Ultra quiet, Class A (single transistor) design.
Tri-function booster/buffer
In bypass mode, it's an ultra high input impedance buffer (5Meg!)
In the lower gain range, it's a flat booster (<15db)
In the upper range, it's a treble booster (>15db)
Huge headroom, with 18V (2*9V battery) internal power.
Heavy duty mechanical footswitch.
External DC Jack for power connection, up to 25V DC.

According to the tube amp experts over at AGA, the LSS and all other EL84 amps normally operate Class A/B despite the marketing claims. What makes the LSS unique is that it operates in Class A mode when in the 5 W (one tube) setting.

Anyway, what difference does it make? Great sounding amp.

By the way, I have a Eminence Red White & Blues in mine for a slightly brighter sounder. Loudness is about the same as the C90. Way cheaper than a Celestion Gold and worth a try.

I'll keep the Emenince speakers in mind when I go to redo my extension cab. First I want to insulate the cab with auralex and see how much difference that makes. As to the Golds, WOW! You're right a lot of money, but WOW!

Latest posts

Back