Do the stage 2 duece have a decent low end

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Stiletto Deuce Stage 2 and am running it through a Vox 212 since its cheap light and sounds pretty good and I live in an apartment and I have EHX EL34 tubes in my head. I use an Ibanez RG 1527 with stock pickups which are slightly muddy and I'd like to upgrade and I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Prophecy series as well. Both sound great and I find it responds well to how you pick. For rhythm stuff I pick heavier and it sounds tight and has good bottom end and isn't muddy and it stays nice and clear and leads when you pick lighter and consistently it's very articulate and has a smooth sound. I want to get an overdrive for it when I have the money, some people might not think this amp has enough gain, a tubescreamer might fix that I don't know yet, I love how my setup sounds though.

Jak0lantern01 said:
Guitar isn't a 'bottom end' insrtument anyway. That's why we have bass players.
So true my stiletto ace head with rectifier cab has #@@# loDS Of bottom end. stiletto's have a """ DECENT """" low end that is for sure. IF you Want a guitar amp that has a "really decent LOW END" Get a splawn QUICKROD and you won't need a BASS Player!!!!! :D for you will walk all over his Bass Frequencies

How do stillettos compare in bass next to a DSL (red ch), JVM (od chs), 5150 (red ch), VHT, or other "regular mids" type of amps? Meaning, forget the rectos or ubers low mids for now.

I tried a series II Deuce today. I thought the bottom end was....ok. And it wasn't overly bright either. But the amp doesn't have a lot of gain and while the Electra Dyne has less gain in stock form, it's a better sounding amp. All IMHO.

danyeo1 if you want to come down to my store, I will have my stage 1 there on friday, tubes make all the difference in these amps. You can hear mine with Ruby's in the power section tung sol/jj for pre amp section. PM if you are going to come down, it is Russomusic.com
we have an ED and Stage II you can compare it to

I do think the stilettos could benefit from a depth mod though. i really liked my trident with an eq in the loop. all i did was bump the bottom 2 freqs up a C-hair. that was all it needed. i like a really fat tone. not recto huge, just fat.

As far as gain goes, the fluid drive has tons. my fav was the tite gain with a barber DD in front. Yummy 8)

You sure you are not talking about the splawn nitro? The QR is a EL34 and I would say my stiletto has more bottem end them my quick rod does.

surferdeac said:
Jak0lantern01 said:
Guitar isn't a 'bottom end' insrtument anyway. That's why we have bass players.
So true my stiletto ace head with rectifier cab has #@@# loDS Of bottom end. stiletto's have a """ DECENT """" low end that is for sure. IF you Want a guitar amp that has a "really decent LOW END" Get a splawn QUICKROD and you won't need a BASS Player!!!!! :D for you will walk all over his Bass Frequencies

Steve@Russo said:
danyeo1 if you want to come down to my store, I will have my stage 1 there on friday, tubes make all the difference in these amps. You can hear mine with Ruby's in the power section tung sol/jj for pre amp section. PM if you are going to come down, it is Russomusic.com
we have an ED and Stage II you can compare it to

I've owned a stage 1 in the past when GC blew them out for $850. I thought it was alright, but it's not in the ballpark compared to some modded Marshall's I've owned.

droptrd said:
Heard the Fortin cali mod is based in the duece :wink:

I get confused when people say their Stiletto's have a lot of gain. Have you heard how much gain there is from a Cali or a Cameron Jose HG? Soo much more gain than the Stiletto's it's not funny, and with all that gain they still sound clearer with no top end spike.

for me it was always about gain, then I got more into tone than gain after owning a recording studio, gain is great live, I am more of a studio guy myself, therefore less gain is better for me, hey if one guitar and amp worked for everyone there wouldn't be so many options

My trident 1 had alot of gain in the fluid drive mode. not as much as a 5150 or recto but still had plenty to play metal. So I guess using the words "tons" to describe the gain of a stiletto is not very acurate. There are alot more production amps out there that have alot more gain than the stiletto. But ill still say my trident 1 had "more than enough" for metal and they take a boost very well.
danyeo1 said:
droptrd said:
Heard the Fortin cali mod is based in the duece :wink:

I get confused when people say their Stiletto's have a lot of gain. Have you heard how much gain there is from a Cali or a Cameron Jose HG? Soo much more gain than the Stiletto's it's not funny, and with all that gain they still sound clearer with no top end spike.

Nagihan said:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
People dismiss the Recto as a one trick pony way too often anyway...
To say any channel switcher is a "one trick pony" is a rediculous statement

danyeo1 said:
I tried a series II Deuce today. I thought the bottom end was....ok. And it wasn't overly bright either. But the amp doesn't have a lot of gain and while the Electra Dyne has less gain in stock form, it's a better sounding amp. All IMHO.

The Stiletto isn't supposed to be a gain monster. That doesn't mean there isn't plenty of usable gain on tap. I'd rather have an amp with usable gain, rather than an amp with loads of gain that sounds like a muddy mess once the gain hits the 11-12 o'clock point.

OK, I've spent about a week with an Ace 1x12 combo, and use it plugged into a Port OS2x12. Does the amp lack bottom end? Yes, there's no doubt about it. I'm going back and fourth between the Ace and an Electra Dyne and the ED sounds a lot fatter. I mean, why am i setting the bass almost all the way up? And the brightness issue? I have my presence off and treble around 3:00 oclock. At first i liked the Ace but damm, all I'm doing is tweaking and fiddling to get it to sound as good as the Electra Dyne, and it just ain't happening.

danyeo1 said:
OK, I've spent about a week with an Ace 1x12 combo, and use it plugged into a Port OS2x12. Does the amp lack bottom end? Yes, there's no doubt about it. I'm going back and fourth between the Ace and an Electra Dyne and the ED sounds a lot fatter. I mean, why am i setting the bass almost all the way up? And the brightness issue? I have my presence off and treble around 3:00 oclock. At first i liked the Ace but damm, all I'm doing is tweaking and fiddling to get it to sound as good as the Electra Dyne, and it just ain't happening.

Deuce is bigger and fatter sounding than the Ace. Furthermore, you'll have to turn up the output knob to get a bigger and fatter sound, to then allow you to turn up the treble and presence. Granted, it still isn't as low end heavy as the Electradynes, but still quite a bit more compared to vintage Marshalls or whatnot...

KH Guitar Freak said:
danyeo1 said:

Deuce is bigger and fatter sounding than the Ace. Furthermore, you'll have to turn up the output knob to get a bigger and fatter sound, to then allow you to turn up the treble and presence. Granted, it still isn't as low end heavy as the Electradynes, but still quite a bit more compared to vintage Marshalls or whatnot...

Those are my thoughts too KH.
I think that the Stiletto series of amps Ace or Deuce should be judged in a band mix situation. That's where I became a fan of mine.
Bouncing back and forth between the Ace and a Electradyne, I could see your frustation daneo1. Anyway I hope you get things to work out.

Riff Blister said:
I think that the Stiletto series of amps Ace or Deuce should be judged in a band mix situation. That's where I became a fan of mine.
Bouncing back and forth between the Ace and a Electradyne, I could see your frustation daneo1. Anyway I hope you get things to work out.

+1 - I was disappointed at first with my deuce, but once I got it out live I was very happy. i never use it at home but can't wait to get it to the gig. Thinking that there should be a disclaimer in the stores for these amps.

Paulie said:
Riff Blister said:

+1 - I was disappointed at first with my deuce, but once I got it out live I was very happy. i never use it at home but can't wait to get it to the gig. Thinking that there should be a disclaimer in the stores for these amps.
Warning: Not for bedroom players

Back