Digital recorders

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeVFR

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am looking into a digital recorder like the BR1600, or a Roland VS whatever. My only recording experience has been on a Tascam 4 track (cassette, remember those?) Anbody have any advice on the learning curve of those? Quality of onboard effects? I don't need the latest, greatest. Just want to be able to lay down a decent demo and record the band live occasionally. I don't have any outboard processing gear, just a 20 channel mixer and then on into the recorder (through shure sm-57 and 58's) I also have an Alesis SR 16, how would that compare to the drum machines on these recorders? Thanks,

JoeVFR

I have to disagree with Koprofag. For the type of recording you want to do JoeVFR a portable unit like the ones you mentioned is perfect. I use an Akai DPS 16 and it's portability, ease of use, and high quality on-board efx make great recordings. Not to mention great editing capabilities. No need to go out and buy a notebook computer for recording when at much less then half the price you can buy a recorder. Especially if you buy one used.

The screeens on these things are so small. At least with the Roland, I would have the option of using a monitor. But, then I have to ask myself how much editing would I do that way, would it be easier to just use a virtual track and get a better take? I guess moving parts around I would have to use the screen.
Anybody using any of these? Are the drums and bass on the BR1600 okay or does the Roland outperform it? I have looked on the recording forums and they have gas as bad as anyone here. I don't need a Neve preamp, just want to make some music! Simple is better, but I don't mind learning if its a platform I can get a lot of use out of. I am not looking for state of the art, just want to record the band, experiment with some original stuff and make a decent recording. I am not dead set on any unit either. How are the Korg's, Tascams, and Yamahas? Thanks for the replies.

i too have to disagree with Koprofag on certain points however if you think that you're going to get Pro-Tools quality out of a br1600 you're fooling yourself.

I use a Yamaha AW4416 which for demo's and recording live is evry bit as good as a laptop and not near as fragile. it isn't cheap(it goes for around $2200 these days)but i've used it as a FOH mixer for countless gigs(with the appropriate I/O cards)i mean think about it ech channel has it's own sepereate Comp/Limiter/Expander as well as 4-band FULLY paremetric eq(54 bit). effects are 32bit........Rolands are ok but i find they sound thinner and more "demo-y" than the Yamaha stuff....if i were you i would look into the Yamaha 16G as it is probably more in your price range.

Just remember you will only get what you pay for......you can't get million dollar sound from a "dimestore" recorder.

i had a boss BR-1180 with built in CD drive, and it was just ok. I think the Korg D 1200 (?) would be much better, it has better I/O and can probably record more tracks at one time than the boss units. its also cheaper

Back