Different tubes to tame the Modern mode hiss on an ROV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polaris20

Reaction score
Hey,

I've got the ROV25, and while it's pretty quiet even at high volumes on clean, pushed, and vintage, the hiss on modern is not out of control, but it is annoying. I'm wondering if putting in a lower noise tube would help, such as some Tung Sols. According to this site:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/tech_corner/12ax7_comparison_of_current_made_tubes

The TungSol 12AX7 is considerably quieter than other tube brands, though obviously they're not a cheap tube.

Thoughts? I played a couple different ROV's in the store yesterday, and they're just as noisy as mine, so it doesn't seem to be a particular issue with mine. Just the nature of the extra gain stage I suppose. Also, will a noise suppressor/gate assist with this?

If you turn the guitar volume all the way down and the noise goes away, then a gate will help. If not, then a dual gate like a decimator will help by killing off the whole preamp when there is no guitar signal.

I don't notice a ton of noise when I run Modern mode wth my ROV25, but I rarely use that mode and I rarely play super-loud.

I do use Tung-Sol in V1 because I am going for a more balanced tone, not aggressive metal. They are not terribly expensive at $25-ish. Though I don't remember Mesa in V1 being particularly noisy either. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, or maybe you are running more gain or volume or are more sensitive to it.

You might try SPAX7, though I have never liked them.

elvis said:
If you turn the guitar volume all the way down and the noise goes away, then a gate will help. If not, then a dual gate like a decimator will help by killing off the whole preamp when there is no guitar signal.

I don't notice a ton of noise when I run Modern mode wth my ROV25, but I rarely use that mode and I rarely play super-loud.

I do use Tung-Sol in V1 because I am going for a more balanced tone, not aggressive metal. They are not terribly expensive at $25-ish. Though I don't remember Mesa in V1 being particularly noisy either. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, or maybe you are running more gain or volume or are more sensitive to it.

You might try SPAX7, though I have never liked them.

No, turning the volume down doesn't get rid of it, so I guess a gate won't help then, unless I do the double gate thing. Now that I look at the manual, it says V1 does the input stage for both channels, but V2 does the 2nd and 3rd gain stage for Ch.2. So perhaps replacing both the V1 and 2 would help.

I don't play in Modern a ton either, after getting Vintage to where I want it to be, but I would like that option and to have it a little quieter. Thanks for the feedback!

I don't have a ROV but I use a single gate in the effects loop of every one of my amps. they' re pretty much completely silent. Plus in the effects loop the gate opens right away, You wouldn't even know its there.

Latest posts

Back