Different ECC83 in V1 vs using a Hotplate on a C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilrob1979

Reaction score
I'd recommend a Weber Mass 150 over a Hotplate. You get a more natural interaction because the Weber utilizes a speaker motor and you don't have to worry about speaker mismatch because the Mass isn't limited in that area like Hotplates are. A different preamp tube is just going to lower your preamp gain and will have very little effect on output volume. Also, it'll take more volume to reach the same cranked sound I believe so putting in a 12AT7 or whatever will have a reverse effect.

I had just the opposite experience. For transparency in sound, the Webers I owned (Load Dump and MAss) sucked much, much more tone, at ANY setting and even when bypassed. The day I plugged the HotPlate into my Mark III, I decided to sell the Webers and did. I do miss the multi Ohm settings though. When I have to plug my combo into a 4x12 I HAVE to unplug the combos speaker because my HP is 8 Ohm only. The HP's are expen$ive too, but in MY opinion better built and better sounding. I used them all on a few Marshalls, a Hiwatt, a MusicMan and Fenders. YMMV!!

Latest posts

Back