Differences between Mark IV and Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEVEL4

Reaction score
Key differences? Not necessarily features, but tone, gain, etc. I'm mostly interested in all types of metal sounds, and in the character of their lead channels. I've played some Mark IVs and really like their lead channel's edgy-grindy sound. Is the Mark III similar?

Level4, when shopping for my first boogie, i was looking for a specific "tone" or range of tones actualy. We play older metal from the 80's like metallica, maiden, priest etc etc and i found the MKIII bluestrip with a EVM12L to be the perfect amp realy. I found the distortion better on the MKIII, for me at least, the lead channel just SCREAMS man.

Thanks for your replies! Yes, shopping for your first Boogie is an experience, to say the least. My first trip the Mesa/Boogie store, I was just overwhelmed and confused. Everything sounded muddy. Or just LOUD. But I knew there was a tone in there, not to be had by any of the other amps I had been considering (Soldano SLO, Framus Cobra, etc.).

So I get this DC-3. And I'm like yeah, well . . . then I go demo some Mark IVs, and I'm like, holy ****! Then I try the direct recording output on my DC-3, Wow! I liked that! I know there's no speaker emulation, but the sound from that output totally pwns my screechy Engl E530 preamp.

I really like that razor-ey, edgy gain on the Mark IV's lead channel. I probably should've bought a used Mark III instead of this DC-3 since I don't give a **** about cleans or whatnot. But I do like this DC-3 for leads a lot. Interesting insights on both your comments on the Mark IIIs. Sounds like something I might like. But, I guess I'll start with a Mark IV and go from there. Looks like I'm hooked on Boogies, now.

The MkIII lead channel is generally pretty tight and edgy. Definitely get one with EQ, or get an EQ pedal, if you want metal chunk, because it's very midrange-focused and you can't dial in much usable bass in the tone stack.

My purple stripe is a bit thicker/warmer and the green stripe is a little tighter/punchier and gets more saturated. The green definitely has more gain available than is really usable and can get very harsh.

Ah Mesa Boogie Mark III's and IV's.

You just got to love them with every part of your being.

To me I would think a IV would be better for Metal but me likey the III's, though I play Blues! That being said you can allways hit a III with an outrageous pedal.

Things I dont like about the IV's - too much stuff for my little mind to keep up with. Not that its a bad thing just the III is easier for my little brain. :lol:

Things I dont like about the III's - Nothing! 8)

Very interesting.

I have owned them all.

A real Plexi is a sweet thing. the 50 watter is a bit loud with no master.

A JMP is a great Amp as well. I like the 50 watters better.

The 100 watters are just too much.

The 1987's and 2204's are just great amps. Along with the JTM 45's and a few others.

The DSL's, TSL's, JVM's, and VM's along with all the other stuff that is slam full of ribbon cables aint my cup of Tea. Not to say there aint some crasy stuff in some Boogies too.

I like Marshalls anyway though. All of our tastes change from time to time.

Boogies and Marshalls arent the same animal. I cant get a Marshall to sound like a Boogie though there are a few Boogies that will get some nice Marshall Tones.

One thing I really like about Boogie. You can pick up the phone and talk to them. The Customer service is excellent at Boogie. I cant really say that for Marshall.

Also bare in mind I have been playing for 34 years and FWER have been an absolute gear freak from the get go. What I'm trying to say (without sounding snobby I hope) is I have a dang lot of experience with a lot of Guitars, Amps, Tubes, Audio, Recording, FX etc....... Blah Blah Blah. I have owned over a thousand Amps In my time.

Here is a cool all Marshall Amp Forum.

http://www.marshallampforum.com/forum/

and there is also the Dumble Crazed Gear Page.

www.thegearpage.net

If you can't get a good blues sound out of a mark III or a IV you don't know how to work the amp!

to each his own though. I like the blues sounds that come from my mark iii.

Yeah I can get Blues for Days with my III. 8)

Whats funny is I dont use the traditional Geetfiddle with my III such as a Les Paul or PRS.

I allways use Swamp Ash Telecasters and Play Blues and fellas I'm telling ya I'm getting some freaking Groooovy Tones that are scarrrrrin me. :shock:

Its getting crazy round here in the Tone department. :!:

I think I actually prefer the MkIII. They've both got good cleans. R2 sucks on both, but the MkIII is better (I know, lots of you like it and think it's Marshallish but I've got a bunch of Marshalls, I disagree but to each their own...) . The lead channel on the Mk IV is more compressed, and I like the more open/ raw sound of the MkIII. Both great amps, but I think I prefer the Mk III for my tastes.

adrenaline junkie said:
I think I actually prefer the MkIII. They've both got good cleans. R2 sucks on both, but the MkIII is better (I know, lots of you like it and think it's Marshallish but I've got a bunch of Marshalls, I disagree but to each their own...) . The lead channel on the Mk IV is more compressed, and I like the more open/ raw sound of the MkIII. Both great amps, but I think I prefer the Mk III for my tastes.
Interesting comments, since I tend to find Mesas a bit compressed from the get-go, especially, recorded. I may in fact prefer the Mark III's distortion over the Mark IV's. Just can't demo a Mark III, of course.

rabies said:
III's have shared EQ problem... IV's "sort of" have that problem.

I would not recommend iii's or iv's for blues. get a marshall man.

Walter Trout plays some screamin blues with a Mark IV.

By the way, the Mark III looks EXACTLY like my DC-3, which I'm trying to IMPROVE on (not enough "bite," too "boxey," etc.). I know, 6L6s vs. EL84s, but how different is the Mark III's lead channel from the DC-3's? Anyone know? Are they the same amp, except with different power tubes?

LEVEL4 said:
By the way, the Mark III looks EXACTLY like my DC-3, which I'm trying to IMPROVE on (not enough "bite," too "boxey," etc.). I know, 6L6s vs. EL84s, but how different is the Mark III's lead channel from the DC-3's? Anyone know? Are they the same amp, except with different power tubes?

Nope, not similar at all. As per Mesa, the Lead channel of the DC-series is "modeled" after the recto. And it sounds like it. The DC's Lead voice is less grainy; "smoother" if you will. By contrast, the MKIII's Lead is more raw, punchy, and "rude" in the best way possible ...perhaps "aggressive" is the best way I can describe it, compared to a more "polite" but thick DC overdrive. I'm not sure what you mean by "bite," by my MKIII has plenty of bark and bite! :)

I own both a DC and a Simul III because they are both great ...in their different ways. If they were too similar or one were vastly better than the other, I'd sell one ...and that just isn't going to happen.

Edward

Thanks. So, lemme get this straight . . .

From most "AGGRESSIVE" to smoothest:

Mark IIC+: The benchmark "aggressive" amp.
Mark III: More aggressive than the Mark IV.
Mark IV: Smoothest, tightest gain.

By "aggressive" I interpret that to mean a more throaty, grainy distortion, full of mids, yes? I finally dialed in the the most aggressive tone on my DC-3 last night using my Les Paul Studio (which pwns my DiMarzio-equipped Strat). Previous to this, I was getting very boxey, flat recordings (too much bass). Will post a clip as soon as I can.

I really like my DC-3 now that I've got it dialed in, but I'm still gunning for a Mark IV. It's possible that I really want the sound of a Mark III or the famed Mark IIC+. But I really wanted a "modern" amp that would contrast well with my DC-3 and my 6505. Or, one that simply does what my DC-3 does, only much, much "better."

I guess "nu-metal" is what I'm looking for in the Mark IV. I don't necessarily want it all the time, but if I want it, I want to know that the amp can pull it off. But I also really like those "barky" mids that make up that signature Mesa growl. The new Mark IVs I've demoed recently sounded tight and "razor-ey." Not as dull as my DC-3. But as I said, I finally dialed in a very good metal sound last night on my DC-3 with a lot of "meaty" aggressive tonal characteristics. When I get a chance to post a clip, you should get what I mean. Any further suggestions, recommendations, comments?

Dude, if you're looking for nu-metal, or a better version o fthe DC-3 you should be looking at a Recto first. The DC series are kind of downmarket Rectos.

The good news is that good used Rectos are easy to find, so try one out, and if it doesn't work out, sell it. And if you do like it, sell it, and save your cash for a Roadster :twisted:

I agree with the previous poster - the "nu-metal" sound is not a strength of the mkiv. I A/B'ed my old mkiv with a Framus Cobra set up for nu-metal and there was no comparison. Same deal with the VHT I have currently. If you're going Mesa, try something from the Recto line.

I think the best type of metal sound the mark series has is the Metallica MOP tone, which they do better than any other amp. The swirly/grinding/crushing mark crunch is an incredible tone.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the "nu-metal" sound - it was so popular for awhile that it seems to be getting a bit stale now.

Agreed. Just tried the Rectos at the Mesa/Boogie Hollywood store today (see "store visit" thread). The Recto sounds very similar to the Framus Cobra, IMO, at half the price. I'd probably be happy with just the single-recto, Solo 50, actually. I never realized that they aren't that much more expensive, new, than a new 6505, and of course, the Recto totally pwns my fizzy-buzzy 6505. I played both the dual-recto and a Solo 50, both through V30-filled 4x12s.

I compared them to the Mark IV, and they're certainly more "metal-ey." But, they seem a bit more one-trick-pony-ish as well. I just got a tone dialed into my DC-3 that I really, really like. I like it so much (and, it's so different-sounding from a Recto) that I'm not sure I can replicate it with the Mark IV. Was hoping to sell the DC-3 to help pay for the Mark IV, but I'm not sure I want to. Hard to tell **** in the store.

Latest posts

Back