Did production IIC+ amps get a plus sign by the power chord?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
I am wondering if this is the case as I am considering buying an amp that has a production run number in the IIC+era but no plus mark. I am doing the loop test today but was wondering if anyone had a plus and no mark? Mike B did initial by the power chord.

Also if it is just a C how much is the upgrade and can it still be done?

I believe the regular C's had just a line. I have had C+'s without the + but that was usually because someone cleaned the chassis and it got wiped off.
If it falls into the production range and passes the loop test that will be the best indicator.

mule#1 said:
I am wondering if this is the case as I am considering buying an amp that has a production run number in the IIC+era but no plus mark. I am doing the loop test today but was wondering if anyone had a plus and no mark? Mike B did initial by the power chord.

A true IIC can still be upgraded. From the Mark IIC+ - Guide for Dummies:

"The Circuit Boards –

Preamp – SP11A – Early 60/100 non Reverb.

SP-11A – Simul-60-100 watt non-reverb
RP-11A Simul-100 and 60 Watt Reverb

The SP-11A, RP-10 and RP-11A were designed for the MK IIC. Their use was continued with the IIC+, Hence, the ability to upgrade from IIC to IC+."

Here's the link: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18184&highlight=mark+iic

You should figure about $150 for routine maintanance (caps, etc), another $200 or so for the upgrade, plus shipping. Best bet is to call Mesa and ask for Mike Bendinelli, Monday thru Thursday.

... actually more of a dot then a line, which is what you often still see buried under the + on upgraded C+'s ... and yes, your SRGX has that dot, frank ... :D ... funny thing is once you start to look for that, you'll spot the dot on most all upgrades. sometimes in the middle of the 2 lines, sometimes just under one line. and yes, if the + has gone and it falls under the the serial range and passes the loop test, it most certainly is an original C+ ... my advise ... check on the loop test and if it works, send it in to Mesa for a check with Mike and have him restore the + sign ... :D

bigmouth said:
check on the loop test and if it works, send it in to Mesa for a check with Mike and have him restore the + sign ... :D

Or buy a Sharpie for 2 dollars and do it yourself. :lol:

DaveP said:
bigmouth said:
check on the loop test and if it works, send it in to Mesa for a check with Mike and have him restore the + sign ... :D

Or buy a Sharpie for 2 dollars and do it yourself. :lol:

hum ... this suggestion from the most active IIC+ seller ?

:wink:

If the amp is a true C+ where the + got rubbed off or wore off for some reason, sending it in to Mesa to have Mike B pen the + back on seems a bit excessive. After all it's just a black Sharpie.
If you had a factory C+ and and put the + back on yourself you wouldn't be forging anything and wouldn't devalue the amp.

mule#1 said:

To send a C to mike b. for the upgrade you are looking at about $650 including shipping both ways.
+ upgrade to reverb amp is $400
+ upgrade to non-reverb amp $350 (personal check to mike)

then they have mesa service it $150 to $250
shipping both ways about $120

Scott

DaveP said:
If the amp is a true C+ where the + got rubbed off or wore off for some reason, sending it in to Mesa to have Mike B pen the + back on seems a bit excessive. After all it's just a black Sharpie.
If you had a factory C+ and and put the + back on yourself you wouldn't be forging anything and wouldn't devalue the amp.

I know ... :D ... just was teasing you ... :lol:

bigmouth said:
DaveP said:

I know ... :D ... just was teasing you ... :lol:

I know, :D You could draw a circle and really mess with some heads. :lol:

Well I did the loop test and it passed. I got it home and this thing sounds amazing! Holy crunch berries. I was worried that without the EQ it would suffer but it doesn't. This thing has the original tubes still!

Latest posts

Back